[Plugin] ControlR

Just now, jbrodriguez said:

sorry to have brought you in @EDACerton🙏, i was really referring to the underlying app, tailscale itself, which isn't fully open source (https://tailscale.com/opensource#faqs)

There's a misconception here. The base tailscale/tailscaled binaries that are installed via the plugin are open-source (they come from the repo that I linked, I've even submitted PRs for them to make things work better on Unraid).

The Mac/Windows/iOS GUIs aren't open-source, nor is the control server (although there is Headscale as an alternative there, which does work with the plugin). None of those components are installed on Unraid.

1 minute ago, EDACerton said:

The base tailscale/tailscaled binaries that are installed via the plugin are open-source

agree

2 minutes ago, EDACerton said:

The Mac/Windows/iOS GUIs aren't open-source, nor is the control server

this is what i really wanted to point out: there's a closed source element in the loop of tailscale (the control server), i understand this is in line with the original concern from @Rysz

as you mentioned, you can run a headscale server and remove the closed source component

• Upvote 1

Sorry to have spawned such a discussion about this, glad that there's such diligent security mechanisms in place so thanks to everyone involved with that and for the hard work of all our contributing developers as well (including of this plugin). Glad to be a part of the Unraid community exactly for those reasons and many more. 🙂