The Specified Network Name is No Longer Available

newoski

Hi Guys,

I'm having tons of problems transferring data to and from the server using Windows Explorer and third party file transfer tools like FastCopy. I end up with tons and tons of errors like below:

ReadFile(The specified network name is no longer available.64) : \\Tower\...

WriteFileWait(The specified network name is no longer available.64) : \\Tower\...

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? Server is basically unusable for transferring data right now

Diagnostics are attached.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tower-diagnostics-20161017-1308.zip

Couple of things to try.  First, setup your unRAID server to be the Local Master Browser on your network.  ( "Settings"  >>  "SMB"  >> 'Workgroup Settings")  This works best if your server is on 24-7. 

Second, install the Dynamix Local Master plugin (found here:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0  in the first post).  This will tell you if your server has 'won' the election. 

Having a reliable Local Master Browser (that is always on the same computer) on the SMB network often solves a lot of issues.  If your server is having a problem becoming the Local Master, post back and I will give a file that will guarantee it.

If that does not fix the issue post back with what windows version you are running and whether using the normal Windows copy utility also has issues.  (You can normally use that by right-clicking on the file name when you drop-and-drag a file between Windows Explorer windows.)

Another point:  Double check that all of your Workgroup names are identical including the capitalization.  (Windows and Linux handle capitalization of file and folders names differently and I am  not sure how SMB resolves this issue.  Years ago, Windows assumed that all letters were capitalized and it might be best to have your workgroup name be all Caps.)

Couple of things to try.  First, setup your unRAID server to be the Local Master Browser on your network.  ( "Settings"  >>  "SMB"  >> 'Workgroup Settings")  This works best if your server is on 24-7. 

Second, install the Dynamix Local Master plugin (found here:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0  in the first post).  This will tell you if your server has 'won' the election. 

Having a reliable Local Master Browser (that is always on the same computer) on the SMB network often solves a lot of issues.  If your server is having a problem becoming the Local Master, post back and I will give a file that will guarantee it.

If that does not fix the issue post back with what windows version you are running and whether using the normal Windows copy utility also has issues.  (You can normally use that by right-clicking on the file name when you drop-and-drag a file between Windows Explorer windows.)

Another point:  Double check that all of your Workgroup names are identical including the capitalization.  (Windows and Linux handle capitalization of file and folders names differently and I am  not sure how SMB resolves this issue.  Years ago, Windows assumed that all letters were capitalized and it might be best to have your workgroup name be all Caps.)

After installing that, it says LONGSAKS, which is my Linksys Router, is the current Master Browser.

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium on the computer that's having the problem.

Thoughts?

After installing that, it says LONGSAKS, which is my Linksys Router, is the current Master Browser.

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium on the computer that's having the problem.

Thoughts?

As I recall, a few days back, someone had an issue with their router being the Local Master and they had problems until they disable that feature in the router.  (Not saying that will fix the problem but why would anyone want their router being the Local Master is something that I have difficulty getting my head around.)

Thoughts?

As I recall, a few days back, someone had an issue with their router being the Local Master and they had problems until they disable that feature in the router.  (Not saying that will fix the problem but why would anyone want their router being the Local Master is something that I have difficulty getting my head around.)

Can't, for the life of me, figure out how to disable it on my Linksys EA9500 router. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with their tech support. They didn't know what Windows SAMBA or Local Master were. It was unreal. Any help would be appreciated!

How do I roll back from this to the most recent 6.1 release? I'm getting all kinds of Network Location Unavailable after upgrading.

First, check out the networking section of the Additional Upgrade Advice.

Anything specific? I'm not seeing anything that addresses my issue. Rolling back to 6.1 fixes my problem, but breaks all my dockers. Using 6.2.1, I get write errors all day long due to Location Unavailable.

How do I roll back from this to the most recent 6.1 release? I'm getting all kinds of Network Location Unavailable after upgrading.

Fixing the network issues on 6.2.1 would be the way to go for you, but if you do wind up with no choice but to roll back, to fix the docker problem, just delete the docker.img and recreate it.

Anything specific? I'm not seeing anything that addresses my issue. Rolling back to 6.1 fixes my problem, but breaks all my dockers. Using 6.2.1, I get write errors all day long due to Location Unavailable.

Fixing the network issues on 6.2.1 would be the way to go for you, but if you do wind up with no choice but to roll back, to fix the docker problem, just delete the docker.img and recreate it.

I enabled Network Bridging, but that hasn't really made much of a different. Still getting tons of failed transfers to/from Windows 7 machines...

I enabled Network Bridging, but that hasn't really made much of a different. Still getting tons of failed transfers to/from Windows 7 machines...

going to need to see a log file or how you have your settings to be of much help.

Are the transfers from physical Windows 7 machines?  have you tried to shut them down and reboot them?

I took a quick look at it and it provides a couple of USB ports to allow connection of hard drives for storage.  I would bet that is the place to start looking.  Both Linux and Windows have long used SMB for networking and I believe all of the recent Apple OS do also.  So I would bet that Linksys turn on the Local Master Browser function in their SMB service.

I have attached the  smb-extra.conf file to this post.  You copy it to config folder on your unRAID flash drive.  Then stopping and restarting the array should add it to the SMB configuration.  That file should force the SMB network to elect your server as the Master Browser. 

smb-extra.conf

going to need to see a log file or how you have your settings to be of much help.

Are the transfers from physical Windows 7 machines?  have you tried to shut them down and reboot them?

Yes, all transfers are to/from Tower to Windows 7 Home Premium machine. I actually went as far as reformatting and reinstalling Windows. No progress. Reverting to 6.1 seems to fix the problem, but my Dockers don't work then. Using 6.2, if I have more than 1 file transfer happening in Windows, no matter whether via native Windows file transfer or TeraCopy or FastCopy, all file with the same error. Diagnostics are attached. Thanks!!

I took a quick look at it and it provides a couple of USB ports to allow connection of hard drives for storage.  I would bet that is the place to start looking.  Both Linux and Windows have long used SMB for networking and I believe all of the recent Apple OS do also.  So I would bet that Linksys turn on the Local Master Browser function in their SMB service.

I have attached the  smb-extra.conf file to this post.  You copy it to config folder on your unRAID flash drive.  Then stopping and restarting the array should add it to the SMB configuration.  That file should force the SMB network to elect your server as the Master Browser.

That conf file did force Tower to be Master, but it didn't solve the problem. Still getting the same failed file transfers to and from the Tower

That conf file did force Tower to be Master, but it didn't solve the problem. Still getting the same failed file transfers to and from the Tower

On the Windows computer, go to 'Control Panel', then 'Credential Manager' and see if you have any credentials set.  (However, if 6.1 was working, I find it hard to believe that this is the issue but it is quick  and easy to check.)

Do you have any other computers that you could use to help isolate the problem? 

Have you changed the 'SMB Security Settings' from the defaults?

The reason I am puzzled is that most of these types of issues have been occurring with the Windows 10 OS.  Windows 7 has been pretty much trouble free...