ESXI UPS Powerdown

Hi All, quick question. I notice there is a plugin Open VM Tools for unRAID that hasn't been updated for 6.2. I'm curious if I should, for the sake of data integrity, passthrough the UPS directly to unRAID, or will ESXI magically powerdown the VM gracefully? Thanks!

To which VM are your UPS connected? what's is a shutdown sequence/command?

Thats exactly what I'm wondering. Right now I have the UPS plugged (usb) in to the host without passing it through to unRAID. There are various options that will gracefully shutdown VMs and the ESXI host in the event of a power outage, and I assume "graceful shutdown" that means "send power-off signal to VM and hope it handles it right".

I don't know if unRAID handles a power-off signal properly (stop array, shutdown). The other option is to passthrough the UPS to unRAID, let it shutdown, and deal with any host corruption from a unclean shutdown. My data on unRAID is much more important to me than the host.

Thats exactly what I'm wondering. Right now I have the UPS plugged (usb) in to the host without passing it through to unRAID. There are various options that will gracefully shutdown VMs and the ESXI host in the event of a power outage, and I assume "graceful shutdown" that means "send power-off signal to VM and hope it handles it right".

I don't know if unRAID handles a power-off signal properly (stop array, shutdown). The other option is to passthrough the UPS to unRAID, let it shutdown, and deal with any host corruption from a unclean shutdown. My data on unRAID is much more important to me than the host.

i'm not sure if esxi host itself can handle UPS correctly in case of power loss.. mine UPS is attached to Windows VM. and with APCUPSd on it, when UPS event is triggered, i telnet to unRAID VM and shutdown it, and then SSH to Host, and shutdown it with all other VM's.

you need VM tools installed on each VM to shutdown it correctly i think..

I have passed my CyberPower USB directly through to unRAID for testing before and it worked well. The issue that you are going to have is that you have to chose between the rest of your ESXi host shutting down correctly, or unRAID shutting down correctly.

My hope is that the openVMTools plugin is updated at some point which would correct the issue.