limetech

Version 6.3.0-rc1 Release Notes

There is an issue with OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd on 6.3! eschultz and I have dome some troubleshooting since I cant get GPU pass trough on OSX and I cant go in to the BIOS on 6.3. However OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd from 6.2.1 solved all my issues with VM on 6.3  8) 8)

Pleast try this and see if this have any effect on your issues  :D

//Peter

I can't find this file to replace - where is it?

Thanks

For those experiencing this issue, I need some more information:

1)  Are you doing any sort of PCI pass through (GPU or otherwise) and/or are you assigning any USB devices?

2)  Are your vdisks located on your cache drive or on the array?  Please go double-check to verify their actual location, regardless of what you may have set them to originally.

3)  How long (approximately) are they taking to start and from what moment do you start and stop counting for measuring this duration?

1. I am passing through a pcie gpu and usbs

2. My vms are on my cache drive 100%

3. I time it from when I click start in the gui to the BIOS post on the vm showing on my screens. This is the first thing shown when booting the vm. On ovmf for example this says memory amount installed and tested. Ovmf takes around 2 minutes. Seabios takes around 3 minutes

For those experiencing this issue, I need some more information:

1)  Are you doing any sort of PCI pass through (GPU or otherwise) and/or are you assigning any USB devices?

2)  Are your vdisks located on your cache drive or on the array?  Please go double-check to verify their actual location, regardless of what you may have set them to originally.

3)  How long (approximately) are they taking to start and from what moment do you start and stop counting for measuring this duration?

I'm having the same issue on a Windows 10 VM but I'm still on v6.2.1.

1-Not passing trough any hardware for this VM, have a stubbed NIC for another one.

2-Vdisk is on an unassigned SSD

3-2 to 3 minutes, I see the spinning windows circle, spinning much slower than usual, when it changes to the login part boot speed returns to normal.

1. VM1: Nvidia GPU+onboard Audio+onboard USB3.1  | VM2: ATI GPU+PCIe USB card

2. cache drive

3. 2-3 mins from clicking 'start' to login screen page appears

2. cache drive

So does this issue persist with either VM?

Not sure if it's just me, but the 'New Config' tool doesnt seem to be working in the 6.3.0-rc1 release. I've tried via both unRaid's built-in GUI [boot] mode and the webGUI--with both firefox and chrome--to no avail. I'm lazy and impatient (and dont have anything important on this machine), so I'll probably just reformat the flash drive and start fresh; but I will attempt another New Config before I move on to setting everything up again, and report back.  :-\

Not sure if it's just me, but the 'New Config' tool doesnt seem to be working in the 6.3.0-rc1 release. I've tried via both unRaid's built-in GUI [boot] mode and the webGUI--with both firefox and chrome--to no avail. I'm lazy and impatient (and dont have anything important on this machine), so I'll probably just reformat the flash drive and start fresh; but I will attempt another New Config before I move on to setting everything up again, and report back.  :-\

it is working fine for me, so no idea why it is not working for you. 

Quick question:

Did any of you set up VM system before adding a cache drive, only to have the libvirt.img get stuck on the array? That's where the /etc/libvirt directory lives. It's created with a very generous size of 1GB, but usually only contains about 16MB of data. Your VM settings and NVRAM live there.

I ended up with both my Docker and libvirt images on one of my array drives for this reason, and they weren't being moved because of several reasons: I didn't have the space on my cache volume due to mis-formatting it raid0 instead of single (unbalanced drive sizes, was wasting space on the larger drive as unallocated to match the size of the smaller drive), and because I had both Docker containers and VM set to auto start, the mover couldn't kick in.

I had to stop all VMs and Dockers, move a large VM image off the cache to the array temporarily so there was space for the rebalance, and rebalance the cache volume dsingle/mraid1, then move the VM back, then initiate move. Well, I didn't want to chance the mover wouldn't work that time either, so I used rsync to copy the Docker and libvirt images to the cache, then removed them from the array.

There is an issue with OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd on 6.3! eschultz and I have dome some troubleshooting since I cant get GPU pass trough on OSX and I cant go in to the BIOS on 6.3. However OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd from 6.2.1 solved all my issues with VM on 6.3  8) 8)

//Peter

I reverted the usb back to 6.2.1 but my mac os is still broken. Not quite sure what happened. Clover displays fine but as soon as the mac os boot screen shows it's got graphics problems and eventually goes black.

2. cache drive

So does this issue persist with either VM?

VM1 yes, vm2 is for the family so don't really use - will test when home on thurs

//Peter

I reverted the usb back to 6.2.1 but my mac os is still broken. Not quite sure what happened. Clover displays fine but as soon as the mac os boot screen shows it's got graphics problems and eventually goes black.

Sounds like you need to wipe your VM's NVRAM with the stock copy, then reconfigure the resolution from the OVMF menu to match whatever your macOS/Clover is configured to boot to.