Permission problem

I am having a problem where things downloaded with NZBget have funny permissions or at least it appears that way. Everything downloaded via NZBget is downloaded into the same folder. Yet sometimes when I go to delete a sample.mkv file I get an error on my Mac in finder that says:

"The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items"

No I am running OSX 10.12 Sierra, I am connected to am SMB share as a user who is admin, and I only get this on some files, not all. I can't understand why.

Any help?

Here is a little more info, when I try to delete files from a windows PC, I get the error:

"You require permission from TOWER\nobody to make changes to this file"

Who is the user 'nobody'?

I am having a problem where things downloaded with NZBget have funny permissions or at least it appears that way. Everything downloaded via NZBget is downloaded into the same folder. Yet sometimes when I go to delete a sample.mkv file I get an error on my Mac in finder that says:

"The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items"

No I am running OSX 10.12 Sierra, I am connected to am SMB share as a user who is admin, and I only get this on some files, not all. I can't understand why.

Any help?

Here is a little more info, when I try to delete files from a windows PC, I get the error:

"You require permission from TOWER\nobody to make changes to this file"

Who is the user 'nobody'?

Be default Unraid uses the user nobody and group users for permissions.  This is set in the PUID = 99 PGID = 100 variables in the docker container.  This ensures that the permissions are set correctly for Unraid.  Sounds like your issue is how you have users setup on the Mac and Win machines.  Can't be of any more help I'm afraid as I don't really use either os...

I changed it to public and of course I could delete things, changed it back to secure, and again I can't delete things. I can copy things out of the share, just not delete things inside of it. Weird. I am going to create a new user and give that user full permission to the share and see what that does.

I changed it to public and of course I could delete things, changed it back to secure, and again I can't delete things. I can copy things out of the share, just not delete things inside of it. Weird. I am going to create a new user and give that user full permission to the share and see what that does.

There's a difference between samba user permissions and linux file permissions on your box as I understand it.  Too tired to think exactly how best to put it, probably worth dropping down into terminal and looking at what the file/folder permissions are for the things you're having trouble with.

I don't have users setup on my Mac or Windows, just on unRAID. There is the default root user and another user I have setup called Ashman who is root equiavalent. I have the shares setup so that the user Ashman has full read/write permissions. Does that help?

Last thing, what do you mean by this?  There's no option in the webui to create a "root equivalent" user

I have a share on my unRAID server called Downloads, its used mainly by NZBget which deposits things it downloads into this folder. I have SMB share settings setup for the only user I have setup on this server, a user called Ashman, who has full read/write permissions to this share. Just yesterday I noticed that all of a sudden, I am unable to delete anything in this share. I use a Mac and regularly connect to this share, not I get an error that I don't have permission to delete files. If I connect to this share from a windows 10 pc, I get a similar error that mentions User0. I changed the permissions on the share which are usually set to secure, to private, no change in behaviour, changed it to public and I was able to delete files. I created a new user, gave them full read/write permissions to the share, changed the SMB permissions back to secure, still unable to delete files as the new user.

What should my next steps be to resolve this?

• Like 1

trurl, quick question, if you create a user in Unraid called ashman for example, then a client connected via samba creates a file is this then given the ashman:users ownership or nobody:users as is default?  I don't have any users on my server so haven't really played around with it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

trurl, quick question, if you create a user in Unraid called ashman for example, then a client connected via samba creates a file is this then given the ashman:users ownership or nobody:users as is default?  I don't have any users on my server so haven't really played around with it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

It gets created as the user you are connected as. If you read the linked post, it is not always obvious what user you are connected as, since you will not be prompted to login if you already have a credential. Also, it is possible to be logged in anonymously, in which case if you create a file in a public share it will be nobody.

I went into credential manager on a windows 10 PC I use to access the share, and deleted any entries for the use ashman or the new user ashley I had created. I then tried connecting to the share again as ashman and deleting a file, and got the same error about permissions.

Do you know how to look at the folder from the command line?