i7-6700k vs e5-2670. no brainer?

i would not give to much about cpu clocks, and take real world performance in to account.

Or atleast a benchmark like passmark or others.

i read in a forum that the 2683 v3 has higher single core performance then the 2670 v1 even though the core clock is lower. I do own two 2680 v1 and if i could overdo my decision i would go for the 2683 v3

Ok thinking of the following build -

MB - SRock X99 Extreme3 LGA 2011-v3

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 12Core 2.0Ghz 30M Equivalent to QEYP Processor CPU

Ram - Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00

CPU fan - ???

any suggestion on cpu fan?

Ok thinking of the following build -

MB - SRock X99 Extreme3 LGA 2011-v3

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 12Core 2.0Ghz 30M Equivalent to QEYP Processor CPU

Ram - Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00

CPU fan - ???

any suggestion on cpu fan?

A couple of thoughts ...

(a)  I suspect it's just an oversight, but FWIW the E5-2658 is NOT on the "Supported CPU List" for that motherboard:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme3/?cat=CPU

(b)  Although it will most likely work on that board; nevertheless I'd recommend using a server-class motherboard for an E5 series Xeon.    This would also let you use buffered (Registered) RAM, which would give you a more reliable memory subsystem AND allow you to install virtually unlimited number of modules with no problem (limited only by the # of slots on the board you choose).

©  Any reputable brand CPU fan designed for the E5 series Xeons would be fine.

If you Go for Server boards you need to Double Check the Socket for the cooler mounting. There are two options with One being the usual Square Format and then another that is narrow in comparison. Coolers for the Second One are more expensive and there are few options in total. These boards often are the cheapest due to that shortcomming.

So I inherited an 1155 board and 32GB of RAM.  I can use this to give my system a nice boost.  Remember, I have a Phenom 1045T that I will be moving from.  According to CPU benchmark, a couple of the best CPUs for this socket are the e3-1280 and the e3-1290.

The 1280 seems to be more readily available  in the secondary market.  So now we are down to either v1 (SR00R) and the v2 (SR0P7)

The v1 seems to be about 75 dollars cheaper with a comparable passmark.  We have talked alot in this thread about Engineering Sample (ES) CPUs.  I do not see any information online about these.  So I am appealing back to this thread.  Do I gain anything over the 1280 by using v2?  Is there any reason to consider the 1290? 

The way I have this thought out in my head, I can give my system a nice boost for potentially under 200 dollars, and also gain VT-I passthrough.  Thoughts?

EDIT:  Lets toss the I7-3770 SR0PK (non-k) into the mix too.  Very similar passmark and also support VT-i (the K does not)

... The v1 seems to be about 75 dollars cheaper with a comparable passmark.  We have talked alot in this thread about Engineering Sample (ES) CPUs.  I do not see any information online about these.  So I am appealing back to this thread.  Do I gain anything over the 1280 by using v2?  Is there any reason to consider the 1290? 

I'd definitely use the v2 version => you get slightly more "horsepower" (PassMark 9766 vs. 8473);  it's a newer generation with 22nm lithography (vs 32nm for the v1);  and uses less power, thus generating less heat (69w TDP vs. 95w for the v1).  Do, of course, confirm that the v2 chip is on the supported CPU list for the board you have (Just because they're both Socket 1155 chips doesn't mean your motherboard supports them both).

I see no reason to go with the 1290.

... Lets toss the I7-3770 SR0PK (non-k) into the mix too.  Very similar passmark and also support VT-i (the K does not)

Is the board a server-class or consumer grade board?  If it has a server chipset, and the memory you have is ECC memory, then I'd definitely go with a Xeon.    If the board isn't a server class board; or even if it is but your RAM isn't ECC, then the Core i7 is a reasonable choice.

How are people getting on with their research into alternatives to e5-2670s? Prices seem to be rising, a problem not helped by the UKs exchange rate I fear...  :(

(I need to create a separate thread to properly scope out my needs. Short version: run 4 VMs at once (none partcularly powerful) and play a movie via Plex is the most demanding use case I can think of)

... The v1 seems to be about 75 dollars cheaper with a comparable passmark.  We have talked alot in this thread about Engineering Sample (ES) CPUs.  I do not see any information online about these.  So I am appealing back to this thread.  Do I gain anything over the 1280 by using v2?  Is there any reason to consider the 1290? 

I'd definitely use the v2 version => you get slightly more "horsepower" (PassMark 9766 vs. 8473);  it's a newer generation with 22nm lithography (vs 32nm for the v1);  and uses less power, thus generating less heat (69w TDP vs. 95w for the v1).  Do, of course, confirm that the v2 chip is on the supported CPU list for the board you have (Just because they're both Socket 1155 chips doesn't mean your motherboard supports them both).

I see no reason to go with the 1290.

... Lets toss the I7-3770 SR0PK (non-k) into the mix too.  Very similar passmark and also support VT-i (the K does not)

Is the board a server-class or consumer grade board?  If it has a server chipset, and the memory you have is ECC memory, then I'd definitely go with a Xeon.    If the board isn't a server class board; or even if it is but your RAM isn't ECC, then the Core i7 is a reasonable choice.

Thanks Gary.  The board is consumer grade, and after some research, does not appear to support VT-i.  Therefore, I am now debating if even doing the upgrade is worth the trouble.  Sure, I get some more horsepower, but if you never put the pedal to the metal, does it really matter?  :)

Since the server is in the basement, id probably never go down there to use the Virtual Desktop id make out of using VTi anyway.  So, it makes me wonder again if its worth it.  However, I do agree that the i7 is probably the most reasonable choice.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat and even purchased two E5-2670s and 64GB of ram on eBay.

However, I got cold feet for the reasons below and ended up getting a more modern CPU:

- E5-2670 motherboards were in short supply in the UK and very expensive - roughly 1.5-2x the cost of a good X99 board.  Was worried if something went wrong, replacement cost too high.

- more modern tech.  Again if my 2nd hand Xeon went bad, I'd have better replacement supply/options

- modern motherboard and bios - easier for me to manage

- all my other components are current gen, so better future proofing

- most xeon mobos were SSI-EEB meaning limited chassis support - got myself a nice ATX case now                                                                                                    gclub

-lower power consumption from running one CPU not two :'(                     

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally gave in and got the Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 2.0Ghz 12Core 30M Equivalent to QEYP.

Current Setup

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6-Core 3.2GHz Socket AM3

CPU Fan: XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler

PowerSupply: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire 80

New Setup listed Below

Used same case and power supply for the build.

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

PowerSupply: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire 80

New Parts

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 2.0Ghz 12Core 30M Equivalent to QEYP

CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer i32

MB + Memory + CPU Fan – 319.97 – 40 MIR = 279.47

CPU = 205

Upgrade $484.47

• 2 months later...

I am wondering about that exact point. I just bought a Xeon E5-2683 v3 in the UK from eBay, retail version. However I am thinking I might be better off with a Ryzen build, I know it is 8 cores as opposed to 14 but the clock speed is higher and can be overclocked too.

Just hard getting the boards for them right now. Decisions decisions. Put this one back on eBay and go Ryzen or stick with it?

Clock speed isn't the only thing to consider -- different CPU architectures can have very different performances relative to the clock speed.   e.g. consider a 4GHz Pentium IV vs. any modern CPU at a much lower clock rate.     I'd look at the overall performance as measured by a good benchmark ... and PassMark is by far the best one I've found.

The E5-2683 has a PassMark rating of 17596 => well above any of the Ryzen scores.   The Ryzen CPUs will have slightly better single core scores, but the Xeon has more overall "horsepower".    Which is better very much depends on how you're going to use it ... but both are "good enough" that you aren't likely to notice a lot of difference.