Turbo write

RobJ

7 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

I've never understood this thread and i've read it back to back a number of times. So we are only talking write speeds that are affected by this, reads  are not handled similarly? Apolgies if i'm way off beam here .... educate me.

Since unRAID stores a single file, regardless of size, on only one disk (no data striping across disks) read speed is limited by the speed of the disk on which the file is stored.  There is no way to speed this up.

19 hours ago, superloopy1 said:

Guys, do i set the number of drives to the max in my array prior to doing a parity check? Parity check takes an age on my system, just looking for ways to speed it up besides buying a whole new setup ;)>

There is no way to speed up the parity check simply by changing some settings as its speed is determined by the hardware capabilities of your system.  Normally the limiting factor is the speed of the slowest drive in the array, although it is also possible for the way the drives are connected to have a limiting effect.

You also want to ensure that no other disk accesses are being made to the array at the same time as in such a case both of them have their performance adversely affected.

If you have large drives then it may be worthwhile installing the Parity Check Tuning plugin to at least restrict the check to running outside prime time.

• 3 months later...

Guys, I don't understand something here, it says all drives will  spin up, is that assuming people have default share settings across all drives?

What if i isolate shares per drive until they filled up [so other hdds are in permanent OFF mode]

Will turbo write spin them up too, even if they empty and have no shares on them?

Thanks

Yes because parity doesn't know or care about shares or files, only about disk blocks.

In order to calculate parity for a given disk block when writing to one drive either you read existing parity and adjust it against the write, or you read the corresponding block from all disks and recalculate parity "from scratch".

The former is slow due to disk seeking time, which is why the other (turbo/reconstruct write) is an option.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...