UPS settings says Status: Stopped

jang430

Hi.  I recently connected my Liebert ITOn PSA1000 (2005 model) to my unraid server.  It has a serial connection.  I assumed it's called DUMB?  Under Cable, I selected Custom, UPS, I selected Dumb, then that's it. 

Status doesn't seem to change.  I've restarted Unraid, still says Stopped.  How do you start this service? 

I've put some details of UPS below:

Although it's a small UPS, it's equipped with Smart RS-232 Communication Port to offer users more benefits. The download software helps users monitor UPS inside status. The main features of the UPS are listed below:

• Microprocessor control guarantees high reliability.

• Equipped with Boost and Buck AVR to stabilize the input voltage.

• DC Start Function.

• Built-in RS-232 Communication Port.

• Free Software bundled. (Please check UPS Monitoring Software for detail information).

• Green Power Function for energy saving.

• Auto restart while AC recovers.

• Compact size, Light weight.

• Provides Modem and Phone line Surge Protection.

• Provide AC Overload Protection

Hi.  I recently connected my Liebert ITOn PSA1000 (2005 model) to my unraid server.  It has a serial connection.  I assumed it's called DUMB?  Under Cable, I selected Custom, UPS, I selected Dumb, then that's it. 

Status doesn't seem to change.  I've restarted Unraid, still says Stopped.  How do you start this service? 

I've put some details of UPS below:

Although it's a small UPS, it's equipped with Smart RS-232 Communication Port to offer users more benefits. The download software helps users monitor UPS inside status. The main features of the UPS are listed below:

<<< snip >>>

• Auto restart while AC recovers.

<<< snip >>>

Be careful if you enable this one.  You said it is a small UPS and that means a small battery with a limited Amp-hours capacity.  The problem with auto restart is that if the power comes back on shortly after your server has shutdown the first time, the battery may not have recharged enough to safely shut the server down if the power fails a second time! 

It's a 1kva ups. Though I assume the power factor during this time is still very inefficient.  Just looking to properly shut down unraid,  not expecting much :-)  thanks for the tip

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It is not the VA rating of the UPS, it is the ampere-hour rating of the battery.  I have seen cases where they will use the same battery in a 500VA rated UPS as a 1000VA rated  UPS.  The difference is that the 500VA one will run (approximately) twice as long at full power as the 1000VA one!

Just to emphasize Frank's very valid point, the physical size and weight are a good clue to total power capacity. When you said it was a small unit, with 1KVA capacity, that implies a very small AH capacity, and thus very short runtimes at full load.

Problem is, we have no way of knowing what you meant by small unit, so we assume you mean physical attributes (weight, dimensions) since 1KVA is a mid to large size electrical capacity for a home UPS.

Text communication is tough sometimes.

Hi Jonathan,  I just recently replaced it's battery inside,  2 PCs of 12A, 7 ah (of not mistaken). The big question now is,  I have installed Nut, and still,  it can't 'see'  my UPS.  Status remains stopped.

Does Nut documentation list your model as compatible? Are you specifying the correct port? If it's the first or only serial port, it would probably be /dev/ttyS0, but might be different for your motherboard.

Hi Jonathan,  I just recently replaced it's battery inside,  2 PCs of 12A, 7 ah (of not mistaken). The big question now is,  I have installed Nut, and still,  it can't 'see'  my UPS.  Status remains stopped.

I am assuming that you have a battery pack with two 12V, 7ampere-hour rated batteries.  That gives the UPS a total battery power rating of 168 Volt-Ampere-hours.  You can look at the attached .PDF for the runtimes vs load for various APC UPS.  The BR1000G has a battery rating of 157 Volt-Ampere-Hour for comparison. 

Runtime_Chart_for_Back-UPS_Pro.pdf