**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

nvidia (and maybe others?) hdmi audio

you need: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248599/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg

note: as with all downloads, be vigilant. this link come from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-hdmi-audio-for-nvidia-amd-cards-easy-way.145399/ and is probably fine.

then:

its a dmg file so mount it

then run in terminal

cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio

then

./install.sh

that should install it correctly.

has worked on 3 nvidia cards for me, after I was pointed in the right direction

This worked almost perfectly for me to get HDMI sound from my Radeon RX460! Thanks!!

Only issue I have is that there seems to be a very minor crackle/pop every few seconds from the sound. It's easiest to hear if you listen to something without any variation. I find listening to a tone makes any crackles/pops immediately obvious:

Ex: https://www.youtube.com/embed/TxHctJZflh8

Any thoughts on a cure? Later in the thread there's talk of isolating cpus and such. Would this cure a minor crackle/pop in the sound from HDMI?

nvidia (and maybe others?) hdmi audio

you need: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248599/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg

note: as with all downloads, be vigilant. this link come from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-hdmi-audio-for-nvidia-amd-cards-easy-way.145399/ and is probably fine.

then:

its a dmg file so mount it

then run in terminal

cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio

then

./install.sh

that should install it correctly.

has worked on 3 nvidia cards for me, after I was pointed in the right direction

This worked almost perfectly for me to get HDMI sound from my Radeon RX460! Thanks!!

Only issue I have is that there seems to be a very minor crackle/pop every few seconds from the sound. It's easiest to hear if you listen to something without any variation. I find listening to a tone makes any crackles/pops immediately obvious:

Any thoughts on a cure? Later in the thread there's talk of isolating cpus and such. Would this cure a minor crackle/pop in the sound from HDMI?

It wouldn't hurt and will make it perform a little bit better. How many cores does your system have and how are you assigning them?

It wouldn't hurt and will make it perform a little bit better. How many cores does your system have and how are you assigning them?

Success! Looks like isolating the cpus did the trick. Crackle/popping seems to be gone... :)

For the record, this is my xml for cpus:

<cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='15'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='28'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='29'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='30'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='31'/>
    <emulatorpin cpuset='0,16'/>
  </cputune>

Success! Looks like isolating the cpus did the trick. Crackle/popping seems to be gone... :)

<cputune>
  </cputune>

Hi DoeBoye, I'm glad you have got it sorted out now :)

When you say you isolated the cpus did you have to isolate them from the host using isolcpus= in the syslinux.config

or you pinned the emulation calls to separate cores with

Just so others reading with same prob know how you solved it :)

<cputune>
  </cputune>

Hi DoeBoye, I'm glad you have got it sorted out now :)

When you say you isolated the cpus did you have to isolate them from the host using isolcpus= in the syslinux.config

or you pinned the emulation calls to separate cores with

Just so others reading with same prob know how you solved it :)

Good point! I did both! I used isolcpus in the syslinux.config file, and emulatorpin in the XML for both my vpns!

Hey guys,

I am having this error pop up at the start.  Sadly, it stops right there and reboots every single time.  No idea what I am doing wrong! 

xml

http://pastebin.com/KxZLhfMC

I'm at a loss and I know for a fact i have the right osk key.  :(

Hi this is because you have not put in the osk key so this error occurs

this line in your XML should contain it

<qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>

get the osk key and put it in the part where it says xxxxxxxxxxxx

If you are not sure how to get the key please see here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43816.msg519095#msg519095

After which it should work  :)

Hey guys,

I am having this error pop up at the start.  Sadly, it stops right there and reboots every single time.  No idea what I am doing wrong! 

xml

If you are not sure how to get the key please see here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43816.msg519095#msg519095

I'm a FOOL... figured it out. lol I miss typed the osk key.

Hey guys,

xml

I'm a FOOL... figured it out. lol I miss typed the osk key.

Ha, it's easily done! Not as bad as me. Yesterday a sat at work in front of the computer wondering why I couldn't log into an IP. Only after 10 minutes, I realised I way putting in my unRAID server's LAN IP at home, not the IP of the device I was trying to access at work. Now that's the definition of a FOOL  :)

Hi, Guys, I have a new method for installing either Sierra or El Capitan.

This method doesn't require you to prepare an install media from the app store and is a lot easier. There is

no longer any frustrating battles with the vnc mouse during install!

Hope you like it and check it out!

The newest, easiest and best way to install OS Sierra or El Capitan!

• Like 1

Hi, I followed your newest guide but when I select Sierra in the clover menu I instantly see an interrupt sign. Booting in verbose I get the following:

Mach-0 file has bad magic number 0x0

Error loading kernel cache (0xe)

Boot failed...

Hope someone can help me and thanks for the great work on the youtube channel!

EDIT If someone encounters the same problem, today I repeated everything I did yesterday and it worked. Not sure what went wrong yesterday but it could be the qemu-img conversion, as that took a lot longer today.

Hi Gridrunner, just wanted to say, it all just works! Just updated my XML with your directions and things seems to be more natively supported, e.g. cpu type etc is now being recognised correctly etc.. Got myself a cheap Gmyle bluetooth usb dongle the other day and having native bluetooth support (detecting apple keyboard and trackpad), GPU is passed through (GTX970) and working without the need for an additional HDMI sound kext, having native USB 3.0 support through the Inatech card ... Superb, and a great shout out to all contributers on the forum. I would almost say it is a golden build, if only QEMU would completely be supported in clover. I guess it is a matter of time.

Hi Gridrunner, just wanted to say, it all just works! Just updated my XML with your directions and things seems to be more natively supported, e.g. cpu type etc is now being recognised correctly etc.. Got myself a cheap Gmyle bluetooth usb dongle the other day and having native bluetooth support (detecting apple keyboard and trackpad), GPU is passed through (GTX970) and working without the need for an additional HDMI sound kext, having native USB 3.0 support through the Inatech card ... Superb, and a great shout out to all contributers on the forum. I would almost say it is a golden build, if only QEMU would completely be supported in clover. I guess it is a matter of time.

Thats great bmdegraaf glad it all working for you :)

Hi guys,

I set up multiple OSX VMs, but never been successful with passthrough.

I'm not a newbie at passthrough as I have various win 10, ubuntu and libreelec VMs with passthrough on both seabios and ovmf with amd and nvidia cards..

With OSX (El Capitan), I am trying to pass a GT710. I tried both the qemu arg method and the hostdev method. With the gpu passed through, I get the bios screen (clover) and then the Apple logo, but once the bar gets to about 30% of the way, it just reboots. I tried adding the boot argument nvda_drv=1 and it didn't change anything.

Without a gpu, everything works just fine through vnc.

Here's my xml:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>OSX ovmf clover</name>
  <uuid>9e8f2f19-b0cd-4078-acaa-3e7facf9c2a5</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='13'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.5'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/bd720907-71dd-2485-ae78-ebee2f6a4bb6_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>
    <model fallback='allow'>core2duo</model>
    <vendor>Intel</vendor>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/OSX/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <model name='i82801b11-bridge'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <model name='pci-bridge'/>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:51:66:48'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc517'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

I'm starting to suspect my motherboard: Supermicro X9SRL-F coupled with a Xeon E5-2670v1

Any ideas? or anyone else using the same board and cpu?

I use 2 gt710's and a gt730 (710 variant) with almost no issues... https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=54786.msg523314#msg523314

I use host dev on them all. no nvidia drivers. no boot args.

but that is no your problem. (sharing is caring though)

what I use (from a running vm, so it has a few extra lines auto populated):

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x07' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x07' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>

try:

removing "xvga=yes" from your xml. I don't see it in mine, for this card or my gtx760

Look in the boot log for the gt710 card, search by device id and by it's slot assignment and see if it is showing any errors there, like a bios bug or similar.

also, try it in a different slot. sometimes that helps some folks.

Thank you very much for this good tutorial, it's quite a lot easier  :)

I have only one question, what kind of kext drivers i need to install to use my bridged ethernet and maybe other missing kext drivers?

I passed through my GPU and its working without any issues, but i need some assist to find missing kext drivers.

Thank you very much for this good tutorial, it's quite a lot easier  :)

I have only one question, what kind of kext drivers i need to install to use my bridged ethernet and maybe other missing kext drivers?

I passed through my GPU and its working without any issues, but i need some assist to find missing kext drivers.

Hi, Rexima you shouldn't need any kexts for the network to work. Are you having problems with no network connection? This can happen sometimes.

One thing to check is that in the XML

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:51:66:48'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

this line <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>  must be as it is.

This is because we need to use a custom slot so it isn't sharing the same IRQ as the sata.

If we don't do this the mask register isnt being setup before the PCI interrupt is generated. Then the network fails.

In fact, I have found that sometimes even with this workaround I have to shutdown the VM then restart it to get network as

sometimes it still isn't setup before the PCI interrupts is generated.

Thank you very much it works now  :D

I have an specific mac problem, i dont know if its okay if i ask it here, if not sorry. I will delete it.

I passthrough my graphic card a Nvidia GTX960(with its own rom, made from your tutorial) and installed the latest web driver, i set nvda_drv=1 and enabled the NvidiaWeb Option.

My mac boots up, but after the apple logo my displays loosing the connection.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much it works now  :D

I have an specific mac problem, i dont know if its okay if i ask it here, if not sorry. I will delete it.

I passthrough my graphic card a Nvidia GTX960(with its own rom, made from your tutorial) and installed the latest web driver, i set nvda_drv=1 and enabled the NvidiaWeb Option.

My mac boots up, but after the apple logo my displays loosing the connection.

Do you have any suggestions?

It sounds like when it starts it is outputing out of a different port on the graphics card. Can you try connecting with display port, dvi or hdmi and see if that makes a difference?

edit..... also try removing the hdmi cable after it has booted then reconnecting it

If I could ask you to upload the rom for the 960 somewhere (and exactly which card) so i can download it as i am trying to get together a collection of roms for passthrough for use with unRAID :)

I use 2 gt710's and a gt730 (710 variant) with almost no issues... https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=54786.msg523314#msg523314

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>

try:

removing "xvga=yes" from your xml. I don't see it in mine, for this card or my gtx760

Look in the boot log for the gt710 card, search by device id and by it's slot assignment and see if it is showing any errors there, like a bios bug or similar.

Thanks for the pointers.

I made a bunch of changes, removed xvga from the xml, upgraded to Sierra, changed smbios setting in clover to match an older mac, etc.

And IT WORKS!!! Finally. It recognized the card and without any boot arguments or installing web drivers, it worked. Phew, spent so many hours

Now I need to get audio working ;-)

EDIT: Got hdmi audio working thanks to another one of your posts http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51915.msg524900;topicseen#msg524900 :-) Thanks so much

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>

try:

Thanks for the pointers.

I made a bunch of changes, removed xvga from the xml, upgraded to Sierra, changed smbios setting in clover to match an older mac, etc.

And IT WORKS!!! Finally. It recognized the card and without any boot arguments or installing web drivers, it worked. Phew, spent so many hours

EDIT: Got hdmi audio working thanks to another one of your posts http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51915.msg524900;topicseen#msg524900 :-) Thanks so much

Hi aptalca

try using this hdmi kext

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f39m1bew9uhyio/HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg?dl=0

mount the dmg

open terminal

then cd to image

cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio

then run script to install

./install.sh

I found this worked for a few cards that i have tried before.

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
    </hostdev>

try:

Thanks for the pointers.

I have spent tons of time getting mine working, playing with settings, breaking things, redoing things....but that was also mainly because I was also learning how unRaid works AND how KVM works at the same time. But it was completely worth it and I've loved the learning experience. I couldn't have done it without many other's contributions and help on here, including gridrunner!

now----> make a backup copy of your working disk image! Trust me, it saves time vs reinstalling again later. I keep a "base" image to use when creating a new vm or for when I break mine messing around.