Unable to access server with windows explorer since 6.2 upgrade

mbc0

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 6.2 and am now unable to access the server via windows explorer, the server shows up under network but when I click it I get "Windows cannot access \\UNRAIDSERVER

I am able to access the unraid menu through http://unraidserver:8080/ so everything is there and online.

I have tried changing the identification name of the server

I have ensured local master is set to yes under SMB in the settings,

I have disabled/enabled network bridge

all of this with no success

any other ideas?

Many Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to further update,

I left everything on last night and since I woke up the unRAID server is now no longer visible to any of my machines on the network!  I have rebooted the server and still nothing!

Although I can ping/connect to the unRAID menu no machines can see it on the network at all.

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Yes I can access the server menu using 192.168.0.33 & http://unraidserver:8080/ but I cannot even see the server via networks in Windows let alone any of the shares

This is the same for all devices on my network (Windows Server, Android, Nvidia Shield, Windows Laptops) no devices can see the unRAID server any more but everything else can see each other, it is just the unRAID server that has disappeared from the network since updating to 6.2

Many Thanks for your help so far!

This sounds like a standard Windows networking issue when different machines do not agree on what is the current Name server for the NetBios level (the Local Master). NetBIOS is an archaic protocol and the process that decides on which machine will be the Local master often does not work perfectly and you end up with the two different machines thinking they are the Local Master - and this results in not all machines being visible at the NetBIOS level to each other.

This often resolves itself if left alone for a while (hours/days), but a faster solution that normally works is:

- Switch of all machines that access the network (including the router)

- Power on the router

- Power on the unRAID server.  Check under Settings->SMB that you have the unRAID server set to be the Local Master and that the Workgroup name is whatever you normally use.  Apply the settings if you changed anything.

- Wait about 10 minutes to make sure that the unRAID server becomes the Local Master.

- Power on the other machines.  With any luck they will now find the unRAID server is the Local Master and start functioning correctly.

Another solution if you have a router that supports USB drives is to see if it allows you to go into the settings for the USB storage and specify the Workgroup.  Doing so on many routers makes the router itself act as the NetBIOS Local Master and this is an even better solution than the unRAID server being the Local Master as the router is always the first networking component to come online.

This often resolves itself if left alone for a while (hours/days), but a faster solution that normally works is:

- Switch of all machines that access the network (including the router)

- Power on the router

- Power on the unRAID server.  Check under Settings->SMB that you have the unRAID server set to be the Local Master and that the Workgroup name is whatever you normally use.  Apply the settings if you changed anything.

- Wait about 10 minutes to make sure that the unRAID server becomes the Local Master.

- Power on the other machines.  With any luck they will now find the unRAID server is the Local Master and start functioning correctly.

Tried this twice now & also with an alternative router but still the same  :-\ 

Damn me for not resisting an update!!

Is accessing the server via IP (i.e. using "//server-ip" working in Windows Explorer?    If it is then it would confirm that the issue is around resolving NetBIOS names to IP address.    If that also does not work it is going to be some other issue.  You could try using 'ping serverip' and 'ping servername' from a command line session to see if the TCP/IP level is working.