Extracting RAR Files on Array

jdag

Is there a trick to being able to extract RAR files on a drive array?  Whenever I try it is incredibly slow (or does not finish).

So instead of extracting on the array, I am copying the folder over to my local drive, extracting, then copying the extracted file back.  I would think there has to be a better method.

I have tried several different methods (locating the folder on the cache drive, extracting to the cache drive from the array) with no better performance.

If you're extracting .rar files on a protected array drive, it will be slow as it needs to update parity as it goes along. With the files on a cache drive (SSD or otherwise) it should be pretty quick as there's no parity to consider.

I've not used Krusader, I have Unrar installed as part of the NerdPack plugin and run it from the command line.

SR

Thanks for the input.  I did install Krusader and it worked wonderfully.  So I will use this method going forward.

I am still confused about the "old" method.  I am wondering if the other method I was using was related to the utility I am using on my Mac: The Unarchiver?  Could it be the minimal RAM I have on my unRAID box?  I have tried using the SSD cache drive completely, but no luck, still unusably slow.

As for my setup, I am not sure exactly what info you'd need, but here goes:

Lenovo TS140 i3-4150 3.5GHz

4gb RAM

Sandisk 480gb SSD

3x6gb WD Red drives (1 parity, 2 data)

Thanks!

Thanks for the input.  I did install Krusader and it worked wonderfully.  So I will use this method going forward.

I am still confused about the "old" method.  I am wondering if the other method I was using was related to the utility I am using on my Mac: The Unarchiver?  Could it be the minimal RAM I have on my unRAID box?  I have tried using the SSD cache drive completely, but no luck, still unusably slow.

As for my setup, I am not sure exactly what info you'd need, but here goes:

Lenovo TS140 i3-4150 3.5GHz

4gb RAM

Sandisk 480gb SSD

3x6gb WD Red drives (1 parity, 2 data)

Thanks!

Doing anything like that over the network is going to be significantly slower than locally on the server itself (ie: Krusader), simply because of the amount of back and forth traffic via the network.  And not all NICs properly support full duplex transmissions either (my Realtek NICs significantly drop the transfer speed if they are sending / receiving simultaneously and in theory, full duplex means that they shouldn't)