How do you connect to a VM for gaming?

This probably will sound like a dumb question but if you put in a dedicated GPU for gaming and pass it through to the VM I assume that you will then connect a monitor directly to it vs. connecting from another computer over the network using RDP?  Assuming you connect directly to the GPU, what about the keyboard and mouse?  Are the keyboard and mouse then also passed through to the VM and if so, how do you then control Unraid locally from the box itself?  I assume that you cannot use the same keyboard/mouse for both?  I'm confused how this setup would work...

Yes, You also pass through USB keyboard and mouse. There's a few other threads talking about how to do this.

As for controlling of unRAID, that remains being done via the Web UI. Connect to it from whatever you want, such as phone, tablet, other PC, VM PC, or MAC, etc.

Yes, You also pass through USB keyboard and mouse. There's a few other threads talking about how to do this.

As for controlling of unRAID, that remains being done via the Web UI. Connect to it from whatever you want, such as phone, tablet, other PC, VM PC, or MAC, etc.

This. And you can set up Steam in-home streaming or Nvidia game stream so you can play games on your smartphone(Moonlight), tablet (Moonlight), Nvidia Shield or other Windows/OS X/Linux device (Moonlight or Steam Client).

Moonlight: http://moonlight-stream.com/ (Nvidia GPUs only, you need "GeForce Experience" on the host PC/VM)

Steam in-home streaming works with all GPUs

Steam Download: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

More information about in-home streaming: http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

Ok thanks everyone... I'm already passing through USB devices to VMs so I guess it obviously makes sense that you would do this for keyboard and mouse as well.  I didn't think of that because I am using an old PS2 keyboard for the local console which I didn't see an option to pass through, I assume because it's not USB so that's what had me confused.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Let me revive an old thread.

I am trying to figure out whether I can game on a RPi. I have Unraid and running a Win10VM. Have a Nvdia 1050, which should meet the requirements.

However, my Unraid is running headless and I access the VMs via RDP. If I pass-through the Nvidia GPU to the VM, I cannot access the VM via RDP. Is there any work-around that will allow me to pass-through the Nvidia GPU and still use RDP to access the Win10 VM?

Does RDP use the built-in VNC protocol? I actually don't use the built-in VNC viewer, but access it from a Win notebook via RDP.

However, I fail to passthrough my Nvidia card to the Win VM. Is this related to RDP or did I do something wrong in setting up the pass-through?

Also, I noticed in a related thread that it may not work anyways without a dongle (https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/54292-nvidia-gamestreaming-on-headless-windows-10-vm-help-needed-please/). Is this still the case or has there been some form of work-around to this?

Thanks. I did a bit more forum search.

From what I have read, my setup may not work to pass-through the GPU to the VM:

1) I don't have an on-board GPU and only one Nvidia GPU. So, I'd need to buy a second GPU to make this work?

2) To use the GPU headless (no screen attached), I'd still need to get a dongle as linked above?

Do I understand this correctly or any other suggestion to get this working? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 8:32 AM, steve1977 said:

Thanks. I did a bit more forum search.

From what I have read, my setup may not work to pass-through the GPU to the VM:

1) I don't have an on-board GPU and only one Nvidia GPU. So, I'd need to buy a second GPU to make this work?

2) To use the GPU headless (no screen attached), I'd still need to get a dongle as linked above?

Do I understand this correctly or any other suggestion to get this working? Thanks in advance!

Check out spaceinvaderone on Youtube.  He's got some guides on GPU passthrough that include making it work with just one GPU.