OpenFLIXR 2.5.1 U1 (Sunday, July 29, 2018)

OpenFLIXR 2.5.1 U1

OpenFLIXR Media Server (OpenFLIXR in short) is an all-in-one media server for downloading and serving virtually any kind of media you can think of. On the one side we have incredible useful tools to download media like CouchPotato, SickRage and Headphones, on the other side we have Plex Media Server to bring everything to your screens. Be it tablets, TVs, PCs, you name it. Everything is web based, including monitoring and management tools.

It will auto-update to keep everything running smooth and is preconfigured with sensible defaults. To be able to use OpenFLIXR, you'll need a hypervisor like VirtualBox (Open Source), VMWare Fusion / Workstation / Player / ESXi, Parallels Desktop, KVM / unRAID or Microsoft Hyper-V.

It's ready to go in a couple of minutes!

ed9d7fbcfaaed1a17043e621d3718aa38c132283.png.b63bf89520133be815941973a5eedb69.png

177964962f1dac7b933a118e486223bcec7a98ef

Get more info and download at http://www.openflixr.com

Please see OpenFLIXR forums for details about 2.5.1 U1 and release notes.

Edited by openflixr
Lots of updates!
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive, I'm curious to have a look at this.

Just messing around getting it to boot I found it worked with a machine type of pc-q35-2.5 and seabios

y4lRcTi.png

And a quick and dirty icon for it I've attached below.

Copy the icon to your flash drive and put it in a directory called /icons

Run this command

cp /boot/icons/openflixr.png /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

Add the command to your go file for persistence across reboots.

openflixr.png.9b3f9903d0906bc33c58ced13d1f463f.png

Impressive, I'm curious to have a look at this.

Just messing around getting it to boot I found it worked with a machine type of pc-q35-2.5 and seabios

y4lRcTi.png

And a quick and dirty icon for it I've attached below.

Copy the icon to your flash drive and put it in a directory called /icons

Run this command

cp /boot/icons/openflixr.png /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

Add the command to your go file for persistence across reboots.

CHMB nice work on logo...

The dev openflixr has certainly done an awesome job creating this very useful vm

I have just sent the dev a thin provisioned qcow2 img which has been sparsed and compressed bring image to only 2.7 gig so this will be far better which he will upload latter today.

Have just spoken to the dev, and he will have the new thin provisioned image on the Openflixr site within the next few hours !

I had discussed with him the possibly of a smaller vm image for the vm due to the original raw image taking up 100 gigs. Especially as everything can be mounted outside the vm on the array.

However having converted the image using the excellent libguestfs-tools to qcow2, sparsing the image then compressing it, it is now thin provisioned sitting at 2.7 gb but will expand as necessary.

Here are some basic instructions for install

1. Download kvm image from http://www.openflixr.com/

2. Copy vm image to your vm directory

3. Setup a vm using the ubuntu template but make sure to choose seabios as bios type *

4. Choose the vm machine type to be Q35 2.x  (failure to do so will cause issues with your network adaptor on vm)**

5. Attach the vm image to the primary vdisk location.

6. Please make sure you assign enough vcpus and ram to machine especially if using plex inside the vm to transcode.

*  Why seabios?

SeaBIOS is an open source implementation of a 16-bit x86 BIOS and is the bios type that is compatible with this VM. The vm is not UEFI compatible so will not work with OVMF.

** Why Q35?

Machine (chipset) type

Due to ubuntus Udev it takes the network interface name based on its location. For example enp2s1 this reflects the fact that the interface is plugged into PCI bus 2, slot 1.

Q35 and i440 fx should be considered as 2 separate motherboard chipsets. So the location of hardware will be on different on different chipsets.

Q35 was chosen for the openflixr kvm  as is the prefered chipset for linux vms. However should you need for any reason to use i440fx then it is possible but requires the following extra steps.

For this you will have to login to your openflixr vm

Edit the file at /ect/network/interfaces and change the adaptor from enp2s1 to enp0s3.

(to check what you adaptor name is you can run the command    ip a  )

Enjoy!

This is a cool app, i like to try it but i am a little hesitant, I use Phaze's Plex plugin, my current Plex DB is about 65GB how do you add disk space so you can grow? 

Also do all of the app have to be setup in the initial setup? if not can you set them up at a later time? the Let's encrypt app how is that being implemented?

wow!  This is pretty neat!  I'm going to give this a shot myself.  Would you be open to us creating a template for this in unRAID so users could download the VM directly through the unRAID webGui similar to how we do OpenELEC and LibreELEC?

Yes of course :) Didn't know you had this kind of integration.

Please PM for details and all the help you need :)

This is a cool app, i like to try it but i am a little hesitant, I use Phaze's Plex plugin, my current Plex DB is about 65GB how do you add disk space so you can grow? 

Also do all of the app have to be setup in the initial setup? if not can you set them up at a later time? the Let's encrypt app how is that being implemented?

I have no idea what Phaze's Plex plugin is. If there's interest in resizing disk size it would be cool if someone from this community jumps in and write a how to.

Haven't done it myself but I know it's possible (it's a VM after all). But I'm a little resistant to write a how to myself because I'm not sure if unRAID is the same as VMware what I use.

Not sure what you mean with "Also do all of the app have to be setup in the initial setup" . If you want to test drive, just download VM, and try it out :) If you have any suggestions to make it better, please let me know.

What do you want to know about Let's Encrypt? I wrote scripts to automate everything including renewing :)

Its very easy to grow the disk.

1. In unraid goto vms then click on the wording of openflixr vm

You will see something like this

Disk devices    (boot)	Driver type	Dev Name	Capacity	Allocation	Actions	
openFLIXR.img	        qcow2	         hdc          100 GB      3.18 GB

2. click on the 100gb then you can enter a larger figure ie 150g. Then press enter.

After this you need to expand the partition within the openflixr's vda1 partition itself.

You can do this by using the terminal but it is far easier to do it with gui on gparted.

3. For this you will need to setup a ubuntu desktop /mint linux  vm.

4. Then add a second disk to this vm, but choose the location as manual and choose your openflixr image and attach that.

5. Then start your ubuntu desktop /mint linux vm and install gparted from software center

6. Then from gparted select the second disk (openflixr)

7. From here you can easily expand the partition size.

8. After shutdown the ubuntu vm and disconnect the second disk from the vm.

9. Now startup the openflixr vm and you will have the extra capacity.(Your vdisk on unraid will not reflect the size on the cache drive as is thin provisioned and will expand as data is written.)

But you can check the size by logging into openflixr and running command

df -h

You should see dev/vda1 the new larger size

If there's interest in resizing disk size it would be cool if someone from this community jumps in and write a how to.
Sounds like the only thing you would need to do is write a script to check whether or not the current filesystem filled the disk, and if there was free space available offer to expand the partition to encompass the new space. Expanding the virtual disk is extremely easy to do in unraid, like gridrunner said.

A free space check displayed on the main dashboard accompanied by an expand function would solve it.

Either that, or offer the ability to map external drive space (nfs or cifs) for use inside the VM for app config space as well as media. Then the VM would stay relatively static in size, and the plex DB (or other expanding metadata) could live along with the media in user managed free space. The only issue I can see with this is the handling of linked files.

I have no idea what Phaze's Plex plugin is. If there's interest in resizing disk size it would be cool if someone from this community jumps in and write a how to.

Haven't done it myself but I know it's possible (it's a VM after all). But I'm a little resistant to write a how to myself because I'm not sure if unRAID is the same as VMware what I use.

Not sure what you mean with "Also do all of the app have to be setup in the initial setup" . If you want to test drive, just download VM, and try it out :) If you have any suggestions to make it better, please let me know.

What do you want to know about Let's Encrypt? I wrote scripts to automate everything including renewing :)

A plug in is an add-on application to unraid something like docker. It adds functionality to unraid besides being a awesome NAS. What I Meant by setting up the apps is this.  On your website the instructions are simple DL vmdk present, put online, go to Url and follow through prompts to setup sab, couch etc etc.  However for me I don't use bit torrent Clients. So my question was can I skip that particular app for now and if something changes can I go back to the setup and configure it at later time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

A plug in is an add-on application to unraid something like docker. It adds functionality to unraid besides being a awesome NAS. What I Meant by setting up the apps is this.  On your website the instructions are simple DL vmdk present, put online, go to Url and follow through prompts to setup sab, couch etc etc.  However for me I don't use bit torrent Clients. So my question was can I skip that particular app for now and if something changes can I go back to the setup and configure it at later time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You can rerun the setup wizard, but right now it's not really to be used as a settings page. It will be in the future.

OpenFLIXR is pre-configured and except for some choices, everything is running and working, even when you don't use it like a torrent client.

You can download and see for yourself how it works :)

It's pretty easy to have it running.

If there's interest in resizing disk size it would be cool if someone from this community jumps in and write a how to.

Either that, or offer the ability to map external drive space (nfs or cifs) for use inside the VM for app config space as well as media. Then the VM would stay relatively static in size, and the plex DB (or other expanding metadata) could live along with the media in user managed free space. The only issue I can see with this is the handling of linked files.

This is already done and exactly how it is supposed to be set up, except for the Plex DB which is hosted in the VM.

Everything is explained on the first page of the setup wizard.

Edit: I understood you wrong I guess. All configs are and will be staying in OpenFLIXR VM. Also,not going to make an effort in changing this. Exceptionally much work.

But all media and post processing folders are meant to be outside the VM by either network shares or attached local disks if you're an advanced user.

This is already done and exactly how it is supposed to be set up, except for the Plex DB which is hosted in the VM.

Edit: I understood you wrong I guess. All configs are and will be staying in OpenFLIXR VM. Also,not going to make an effort in changing this. Exceptionally much work.

But all media and post processing folders are meant to be outside the VM by either network shares or attached local disks if you're an advanced user.

I understand it's a monumental amount of work, but if you think about it, it makes sense to keep metadata outside the VM image. It's one of the few items that consumes space proportionate to the amount of media being managed. All your other moving pieces should stay relatively static in size, excepting version upgrades and such, which is easily accounted for and a known quantity.

It seems to me that it would be an advantage to not have to take into account a moving target for VM size that varies in proportion to the size of the media collection.

I understand it's a monumental amount of work, but if you think about it, it makes sense to keep metadata outside the VM image. It's one of the few items that consumes space proportionate to the amount of media being managed. All your other moving pieces should stay relatively static in size, excepting version upgrades and such, which is easily accounted for and a known quantity.

It seems to me that it would be an advantage to not have to take into account a moving target for VM size that varies in proportion to the size of the media collection.

Spoken like a true Docker convert....  ;)

I agree it would be nice to have these options but what you must remember is this isnt a docker but a cross platform vm. Most people running this will probably not be running it on unraid.

The idea (i think) is the vm is portable. If someone upgrades a normal pc who has no nas etc. they just bring the vm with them to their new setup. People will be running on different hypervisors of which kvm/unraid is only one of.

The choice is there to map data files outside the vm, but it still can be self contained.

If you are worried about the vm growing too big as a result of plex db, you can use all the features of the openflixr vm but not use plex in the vm. Use a plex docker outside of the vm, but have the vm run the other things.

It's not I don't understand the advantages, but I decided to go for a virtual appliance for a reason :)

If I had enough time to spare I would have gone for a docker setup but I just don't, and to be honest I'm really happy how it turned out to be.

Also, I'm a one man show and I rather be working on cool new features, speed, fixing bugs etc than be concerned about resizing a disk if necessary.

Just being frank  8)

Edit: and also what Gridrunner is saying, it's OS agnostic this way and I really like that.

But really, if you host the Plex database or configs or whatever outside the VM, you would still need the disk space. Why not in OpenFLIXR itself?

Resizing a disk takes what, 3 minutes? (I've just done this to test, it was the easiest thing ever with gparted).

wow!  This is pretty neat!  I'm going to give this a shot myself.  Would you be open to us creating a template for this in unRAID so users could download the VM directly through the unRAID webGui similar to how we do OpenELEC and LibreELEC?

Jonp, did you guys get together on the template?

We didn't but I'm all for it :)

I need another week for fixing all remaining known bugs but then it's a really good VM (it already is), using it myself for the past week in production and I am impressed at what I build myself  :D :D

We didn't but I'm all for it :)

I need another week for fixing all remaining known bugs but then it's a really good VM (it already is), using it myself for the past week in production and I am impressed at what I build myself  :D :D

It looks impressive

I tried out one of the betas and was impressed at how smooth it was.

Although with using docker for the last year+, i would love to see a simple script that backs up the config files to a specified folder nightly. Then maybe add an "import config" option in the setup. That way, rebuilding the VM wouldn't be an issue.

Good work.

I tried out one of the betas and was impressed at how smooth it was.

Although with using docker for the last year+, i would love to see a simple script that backs up the config files to a specified folder nightly. Then maybe add an "import config" option in the setup. That way, rebuilding the VM wouldn't be an issue.

Good work.

That is on my todo list :)