[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

Hello

Can i share files from an unraid share/folder over the web with this docker?

I installed it, and it didn't show any folders in the linked unraid location, only the folders i have uploaded.

For example:

deluge downloads to \torrent

can i have a "web view" of the torrent folder, or even share files/subfolders individually with a link?

thanks

it seems NC is pretty cool, but it's for photo sharing, or small project collaborations.

Absolutely impossible to say as you haven't posted your config.  There's also an external storage plugin for it that can mount smb shares as well.  Nextcloud is an Enterprise project more so than a photo-sharing or small project thing.

not sure where i can find the command line which started the docker. I installed it from CA.

However, i didn't do anything extra, pretty much running the default settings.

for the \data parameter i linked my mnt/user/Media Share, which has several folders, none of which is visible in NC. If i create a new folder on the web, i can see it in the share

not sure if it helps

thanks anyway!

The idea is more like this, you create a data share for your Nextcloud content.  Stuff on your array you share (if you so desire) by using the external storage plugin.  Mount the folder you want to share as /media = /mnt/user/media  Then create a local share with the aforementioned plugin.

Thanks, external plug-in is all I need.

My next question is about security.

it defaults to SSL, but it's not signed (red)

It only means it is not signed by an authorized (safe) third party, only by my server? So the data is still encrypted, but it is encrypred by my ("untruested") server, so it is still safe against Man in the middle type attacks, right?

I shared one of my big shares via external share, and i can't even set it up, that even my account can't delete files. It just feels unsecure for some reason.

My use case is share a few files for a limited time with friends via "public read only links", but my "admin account still has read write access to my whole share on a web accessable service.

My password is ok, but in your opinion is this setup considered safe?

ohh, one more thing. If i give modify right to a user, he/she deletes a file, the file is moved to appdata, which is on cache, so not a very good setup. can i disable this restore deleted files function?

thanks

Hello

Can i share files from an unraid share/folder over the web with this docker?

I installed it, and it didn't show any folders in the linked unraid location, only the folders i have uploaded.

For example:

deluge downloads to \torrent

can i have a "web view" of the torrent folder, or even share files/subfolders individually with a link?

thanks

it seems NC is pretty cool, but it's for photo sharing, or small project collaborations.

Absolutely impossible to say as you haven't posted your config.  There's also an external storage plugin for it that can mount smb shares as well.  Nextcloud is an Enterprise project more so than a photo-sharing or small project thing.

not sure where i can find the command line which started the docker. I installed it from CA.

However, i didn't do anything extra, pretty much running the default settings.

for the \data parameter i linked my mnt/user/Media Share, which has several folders, none of which is visible in NC. If i create a new folder on the web, i can see it in the share

not sure if it helps

thanks anyway!

The idea is more like this, you create a data share for your Nextcloud content.  Stuff on your array you share (if you so desire) by using the external storage plugin.  Mount the folder you want to share as /media = /mnt/user/media  Then create a local share with the aforementioned plugin.

Thanks, external plug-in is all I need.

My next question is about security.

it defaults to SSL, but it's not signed (red)

It only means it is not signed by an authorized (safe) third party, only by my server? So the data is still encrypted, but it is encrypred by my ("untruested") server, so it is still safe against Man in the middle type attacks, right?

I shared one of my big shares via external share, and i can't even set it up, that even my account can't delete files. It just feels unsecure for some reason.

My use case is share a few files for a limited time with friends via "public read only links", but my "admin account still has read write access to my whole share on a web accessable service.

My password is ok, but in your opinion is this setup considered safe?

ohh, one more thing. If i give modify right to a user, he/she deletes a file, the file is moved to appdata, which is on cache, so not a very good setup. can i disable this restore deleted files function?

thanks

To be honest, you're kind of on your own here, getting beyond the realms of installation and into nextcloud sysadmin.  Only you can make those decisions for yourself tbh.  Personally whether the certificate is validated or not wouldn't bother me.

I have no idea if the restore deleted files function can be turned off or not.  Nextcloud does have a very comprehensive manual on their site though.  For things like this you need the admin not user manual.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/11/admin_manual/

Hi Guys,

Quick question:

What is the correct thing to do when Nexcloud's web interface tells you there is an update?

Do you ignore message? Do you restart the Docker? Do you re-install the Docker? Do you wait until there is a note in unRAID's GUI Docker page about an available update?

I recall getting into trouble and breaking the Docker (cant recall if it was Owncloud or Nextcloud) by trying to upgrade via the Nextcloud web UI.

I just setup a new unRAID server for a good friend of mine that wants to use it for work. I want to make sure it runs smoothly.

Many thanks,

H.

Hi Guys,

Quick question:

What is the correct thing to do when Nexcloud's web interface tells you there is an update?

Do you ignore message? Do you restart the Docker? Do you re-install the Docker? Do you wait until there is a note in unRAID's GUI Docker page about an available update?

I recall getting into trouble and breaking the Docker (cant recall if it was Owncloud or Nextcloud) by trying to upgrade via the Nextcloud web UI.

I just setup a new unRAID server for a good friend of mine that wants to use it for work. I want to make sure it runs smoothly.

Many thanks,

H.

Always check the first page....  ;)

But as you're a friend.. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50090.msg497243#msg497243

having issue installing the docker

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="nextcloud" --net="bridge" --privileged="true" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 443:443/tcp -v "/mnt/user/nextcloud/":"/config":rw -v "":"/data":rw lsiodev/nextcloud

docker: Error response from daemon: Invalid volume spec ":/data:rw": volumeinvalid: Invalid volume specification: ':/data:rw'.

See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

any ideas?

having issue installing the docker

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="nextcloud" --net="bridge" --privileged="true" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 443:443/tcp -v "/mnt/user/nextcloud/":"/config":rw -v "":"/data":rw lsiodev/nextcloud

docker: Error response from daemon: Invalid volume spec ":/data:rw": volumeinvalid: Invalid volume specification: ':/data:rw'.

See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

any ideas?

Yeah, the error message says you haven't specified a /data volume

Has anyone been able to increase the maximum upload size?  If so, could you please help me out here.  The default seems to be 512mb and I'd like to increase that to 2 GB. 

I have edited nginx.conf to change client_max_body_size to 2G.

I have also edited php.ini in the docker to change post_max_size = 2G and upload_max_filesize = 2G

I have made the same edits for LSIO's Letsencrypt which i am using to proxy Nextcloud.

What am I missing?

@CHBMB

Do you use LSIO's letsencrypt as a proxy in front of Nextcloud?

Update:  I just took the proxy out of the equation to eliminate one potential source of the problem.  The issue still persists, so it must be something within the settings for the Nextcloud docker.

Reading the documentation it appears that changing the max filesize from the Nextcloud webui only works if using apache as the webserver. Since the docker is using nginx, I'm not sure how this works for CHBMB.

From:  https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9/admin_manual/configuration_files/big_file_upload_configuration.html

To be able to use this input box you need to make sure that:

your Web server is able to use the .htaccess file shipped by Nextcloud (Apache only)
the user your Web server is running as has write permissions to the files .htaccess and .user.ini

@CHBMB

Do you use LSIO's letsencrypt as a proxy in front of Nextcloud?

Yes

Update:  I just took the proxy out of the equation to eliminate one potential source of the problem.  The issue still persists, so it must be something within the settings for the Nextcloud docker.

Reading the documentation it appears that changing the max filesize from the Nextcloud webui only works if using apache as the webserver. Since the docker is using nginx, I'm not sure how this works for CHBMB.

I think you're reading it wrong.

o be able to use this input box you need to make sure that:

your Web server is able to use the .htaccess file shipped by Nextcloud (Apache only)

I read that as this bit only applies to Apache not Nginx, rather than it's only possible under Apache

the user your Web server is running as has write permissions to the files .htaccess and .user.ini

This bit is so the webui can write the new value to the user,ini file.

@CHBMB

Thanks for your reply:

My .user.ini file looks to be updated:

upload_max_filesize=2G
post_max_size=2G
memory_limit=512M
mbstring.func_overload=0
always_populate_raw_post_data=-1
default_charset='UTF-8'
output_buffering=0

I see how I could be reading the documentation the wrong way regarding .htaccess. 

Still, I am stumped.  I wish it were as simple as changing the max file size in Nextcloud's webui, but that did not work for me.

Can you tell me what your php.ini has for these two variables?

1. upload_max_filesize

2. post_max_size

Thank you!

@CHBMB

Thanks for your reply:

My .user.ini file looks to be updated:

upload_max_filesize=2G
post_max_size=2G
memory_limit=512M
mbstring.func_overload=0
default_charset='UTF-8'
output_buffering=0

I see how I could be reading the documentation the wrong way regarding .htaccess. 

Still, I am stumped.  I wish it were as simple as changing the max file size in Nextcloud's webui, but that did not work for me.

Can you tell me what your php.ini has for these two variables?

1. upload_max_filesize

2. post_max_size

Thank you!

upload_max_filesize=2G
post_max_size=2G
memory_limit=512M
mbstring.func_overload=0
default_charset='UTF-8'
output_buffering=0

@CHBMB

Your .user.ini looks identical to mine.

Can you tell me what your php.ini file inside the docker has for these two variables?

1. upload_max_filesize

2. post_max_size

1. 2M

2. 8M

But correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't the user.ini values supercede these.  As in these are irrelevant.

@CHBMB,

I would think the php.ini values would get overridden by .user.ini values.  However, I'm not at all sure.  Since your config is working and mine isn't, I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong with my config since our .user.ini files look identical.

I've been testing files of various sizes.  Seems that files below 10.4 mb upload just fine.  Files 10.5 mb and above throw an error "Request entity too large"

Hey, I followed the new instructions on page 28 and everything works until I get to the point of creating an admin. I create it and get no error message but it doesn't seem like an admin account is created. It reloads and then stays on the same "create admin" page. If I try to create a new admin account now I get: "Error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occured in driver: SQLSTATE[HY000][1045] Access denied for user 'root'@docker-ip (using password:YES). I guess thats because I already created the same thing once but I don't know.

Don't really know what to do now.

EDIT: Okay I was able to fix it. I think it has something to do with adding/granting privileges to the root@localhost. I also did that for root@docker-ip like SRB on page 13 (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50090.180) and I think that's what solved it.

Update: 

It looks like at some point during the Nextcloud updates, something caused an incompatibility with Needo's mariadb docker. The clue was the post by Vizhouz that referred to new installation instructions on page 28. 

I followed the instructions CHBMB wrote starting on page 28 installing lsio's mariadb and nextcloud dockers on a back up unraid server and sure enough it works. The only thing I changed about his instrux is that I did a chmod (not chown) 644 custom.cnf.

Thanks for your help today CHBMB. 

I can now set the max file upload size in the Nextcloud webui and it works just as CHBMB said as long as I access it via internal IP address 192.168.x.xxx:zzzz. 

However, when I access nextcloud through lsio's letsencrypt set up as a reverse proxy, I again get "request entity too large."

I've set client_max_body_size to 2000M in the reverse proxy as explained here:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-bsd-nginx-413-request-entity-too-large/

However, this does not seem to fix the problem.

Is anyone else using lsio's letsencrypt to reverse proxy lsio's nextcloud? If so, are you able to upload files larger than about about 10.5 MB?

Thanks in advance.

Solved File Upload Size Limitation 

I had been fiddling with the LSIO's letsencrypt container to make it work as a reverse proxy for LSIO's Nextcloud.  The reverse proxy works, but file uploads are limited to 10MB.  The solution is to edit the file proxy.conf which for me resides in /mnt/cache/appdata/letsencrypt_lsio/nginx. The first line in that file is:

client_max_body_size 10m;

Change to:

client_max_body_size 0;  #This turns off checking and everything works.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So I have the docker setup on my unRAID and I have the client on my Windows PC. I want to transfer about 25GB of files to it. Since it's on a local network should it take 3 hours to transfer? Via SMB it would take 15 minutes at most. Is it because it going through WebDAV? I moved some files to where my profile is located /mnt/user/nextcloud/username/files but the files won't show up in my nextcloud.

Also, should I use the client locally at home or just upload files via SMB to /mnt/user/nextcloud/username/files and use the client for things like my laptop and phone which I use outside of my local network?

Hello guys,

I am one of the super happy users of this container. Just recently very weird thing happend to me. I am not able to delete multiple folders from nextcloud. They appear in web interface but not in client (logs are empty). I googled and I figured that possible solution is to run:

sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan

I have trubbles to understand how can I execute such a command in the container. I would be happy if anyone could give me a hint.

Thank you!