After 3 days I get asked to "Enter network credentials"? to access shares...

Everything settling down with my first UnRaid setup and Plex just rebuilt my 7T library!

Was editing some file names for PLEX and all of a sudden I can't access the UnRaid shares.

I have the dashboard up and everything is fine but can't access media shares.

The PC (Win10) has no login and I've tried every password and username possible but can't get past "Enter network credentials"? to access shares...

Reboot PC and logged into UnRaid no problem but still can't access shares.

Any ideas would be welcomed, thank you.

Thank you for the reply.

I deleted credentials and tried at least 5 other googled solutions and out of the blue I had access again!

For a day.

Used all morning moving files around and then ... Again wants credentials.

deleted and rebooted , nope still wants access.

I knew something was up as I would copy a file and windows wouldn't let me paste it to another directory.

Thank you for the reply.

I deleted credentials and tried at least 5 other googled solutions and out of the blue I had access again!

For a day.

Used all morning moving files around and then ... Again wants credentials.

deleted and rebooted , nope still wants access.

I knew something was up as I would copy a file and windows wouldn't let me paste it to another directory.

What credentials is it asking for (root, nobody, etc)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Post up which Plex you are running and your diagnostics file (Go to 'Tools' and run 'Diagnostics')

While you are waiting for a response, Go to 'Tools' and run the 'New Permissions' script.  It may take a long time so let it finish.  Then report back if it solved the problem.

Are you familiar with the Linux/UNIX command line?  If you are, there are some checks you can do from there that could be helpful. 

No luck so far, ran the permission tool 16 seconds.

Something is wrong!  You said you had 7TB of Plex files on your server.  You should be aware that the New Permissions script will change the permission and owners of EVERY file that is on your data disks.  All 7 TB of them.  I would expected it to take a few hours to finish...

New permissions doesn't take long to run if there aren't that many files.  And on 7tb of media files there aren't that many files.

Additionally, if you run docker on that server, you should never run the new permissions took as it will odds on mess up the apps.  Instead you should run the docker safe new permissions tool that's included with the fix common problems plugin.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Since you know how to do screen shots, let's go to 'Shares', left click on the 'Media' (in the 'Name' column).  Now click on the 'SMB Security Settings' and get a screen shot of that screen. 

I am assuming that you are trying to access your shares with Windows Explorer.  Did you map the share as a drive on Windows?  Or are you getting to the share by using Windows Explorer and clicking on 'Network' and going from there?  Is there another Computer that you can try to see if the problem still exists?  (BTW, Windows 10 has has presented SMB issues with unRAID since its introduction but I thought things had settled down...)  Your Windows 10 computer is not a 'work' laptop, is it?

As I seem to recall, Windows can do some funny things if it thinks a password is going to be required.  That is why you were asked to delete the credentials in the Windows Credential Manager.

I first ran the tool/new permission script as shown without success.

I used the fix/common problems and also had no success.

I then used the extended test without any success (I thought).

About an hour later I came back to the machine and HAD ACCESS with being asked for credentials. AWESOME.

SMB Settings:

Share Name      NetData        Torrents          Backups          system          appdata

Export              Yes                YEs                Yes                no                no

Security            Public            Public              Public              Public            Public

I have not mapped any drives in Windows and just use windows explorer - network.

I am accessing the UnRaid from my main machine on my network (Big Family network).

2 points I must mention:

1) The Fix Common problems plugin was not happy with my docker dir assignments but Plex works fine.

2) Always had a "Homegroup" network problem on my network once the migration to Windows 10 happened. I am not able to setup a working "Homegroup" as there is a phantom "Homegroup" still on the network that can't be deleted.  I gave up on it after trying everything google would throw at me. Basically I am unable to start a new Homegroup or join a homegroup because after the proper passwords are submitted it eventually times out and says the homegroup can't be found. I'm not ready to reformat all 7 PC's in the house to solve it...

Do the Win 7 computers have any problems access your unRAID server?

I have never used the Homegroup setup for my SMB network.  I just set up a network that I call 'Home'.  (Of course, I did this when I was running either Windows for Workgroups 3.1 or Win 95.) You might want to consider doing the same.  As I recall, it really isn't that difficult. 

I can also feel your pain.  Back when Vista was introduced I got a laptop (mostly for 'road' use--- emails, web access and notes trip reports) and I never did get it connected to my network at home.  While having a connection to my network was never really essential, I can't tell you how many hours I spent troubleshooting and searching the web for a magic bullet to make it work.  I finally gave the d@mn thing to one of my grandchildren...

I've been following this thread but as I'm more a Mac user than a Windows user I've kept quiet so far. One thing that puzzles me is the comment by the OP in reply 4 about trying all logins and passwords that he knows and also not having "a login for Windows 10". I feel that is likely to be the cause of the problems. I always create a user called John_M on any computer I use, be it a Mac or Windows client or an unRAID or other server, and I always use the same password with that account. I never have any issues with logins or authentication. Just a thought.

I forgot to have you check one very important thing!  Your statement that everything was working after an hour was the clue. 

Got to 'Settings', 'SMB' icon.  Then click on the 'Workgroup Settings'.  Now,  set 'Local master browser:'  to 'Yes'.    The Local master browser is the DNS server for the SMB network.  (It converts each computer name --  NASA  --- to it current IP address.)  Any Windows computer on the network can become the Local Master.  Now SMB was designed back in the day when the 386 20MHx processor was the state of the art.  So to reduce the overhead of networking, the election and polling of the network to establish the 'DNS' table was done every so many MINUTES!  It can take up to an hour for everything to settle down and every computer that is powered on is identified and connected.  One way to reduce this problem is to have one computer always be that Local Master.  On an unRAID serviced network, things will run much smoother if your unRAID is that Local Master. 

Now for this to happen two things are basically required,  First, you must allow your server to become the Local Master (See above) and, second, that server should be left on 24-7.  There are ways to influence the election and MS has uses one of them by giving precedence to the latest version of Windows.  So, if all things are equal, any Win 10 computer will end up as the Local Master. 

There is also a plugin called 'Dynamix Local Master' which will show which computer is currently the Local Master.  (  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0  )  Look in the first post.

If doing the above does keep your server as the Local Master, post back here and I will post up a file which will virtually guarantee it. 

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help. Thank you.

BTW, the credential requests came back again.

Ok, Installed local master Plugin and NASA is the current master browser.

Might have found something...

Checked my Win10 laptop and again was asked for credentials to view network shares.

Checked my daughters WIN7 machine and clicked on the Network/NASA and it showed files from a older network I also called NASA I assume.

I am going to rename NASA to NASA2.

I have not rebooted my router or server today or turned off any PC. The only tinkering I am doing is using PLEXCONNECT (python script for AppleTV3 PLEX hack) which coincidentally has been up and down also...

NASA2 is allowing me to see the shares.

NASA is still shown... but still requires credentials.

I am not a real guru in Windows networking but I have been using them for about thirty years and they can be a real pain when there is a problem because every windows computer can be both a client and a server.  But I suggest that you check EVERY computer and device on your network to see if any of them at assigned to the NASA workgroup/network and are sharing anything under that name that requires a login.  It only takes one computer acting as a server to constitute a network. 

• 5 years later...

I just had a similar pronblem and thats why im here,
I had been playing with my network settings and found my pc was connected to Wifi AND Ethernet.

Two connections are not allowed from the same user, at least with my unraid settings. The easly fix was to yank the Eth cable or diconnect the wifi in this device

1 hour ago, Jimjam said:

I just had a similar pronblem and thats why im here,
I had been playing with my network settings and found my pc was connected to Wifi AND Ethernet.

Two connections are not allowed from the same user, at least with my unraid settings. The easly fix was to yank the Eth cable or diconnect the wifi in this device

If you have a computer that can use both connections and you prefer to always use a wired (Ethernet) connection, go to  Settings >>>  Network and Internet   >>>  Wi-Fi  

There, toggle Wi-Fi 'off' and this problem will be solved.  (Today, a lot of desktop computers are providing a wireless option and this setting will prevent the situation that @Jimjam described.   If the computer is a laptop, you probably will want to leave the Wi-Fi option 'on' and never use a Ethernet connection.)

On 5/17/2022 at 11:03 PM, Frank1940 said:

If you have a computer that can use both connections and you prefer to always use a wired (Ethernet) connection, go to  Settings >>>  Network and Internet   >>>  Wi-Fi  

There, toggle Wi-Fi 'off' and this problem will be solved. 

Ha. of course i tried that, but in actual case, even though the error message says it's two connections of the same user are the issue, its actiually the eth copnnection that doesnt work, even by itself.. Ive been playing with my network but i think i can fix this

40 minutes ago, Jimjam said:

Ha. of course i tried that, but in actual case, even though the error message says it's two connections of the same user are the issue, its actiually the eth copnnection that doesnt work, even by itself.. Ive been playing with my network but i think i can fix this

You do have to knock down the existing SMB connections from the Windows client to the server.  Two ways that I know of:

1--- reboot the client.

2--  type the following command using the Command Prompt on the client:

net use * /delete

Shutting off the WiFi should prevent that link from reoccurring.  However, that is not the only way, that it can happen.  See this post and the next several that follow it:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

There is also a way to force the Windows client to log onto the server at client bootup.  (You should only need one login from each client computer to a server!  You set the permissions for that user for every Share on the server.)  What you do is use the Windows 'Credential Manager' and set up a 'Windows Credential' that will log you into the Unraid server every time Windows starts.  There is a PDF file in the first post of this thread that will explain how to do the this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Look for the section called: "Setting Up the Unraid Server and the Windows 10 Client".     (BTW, you might want to read the entire document as it looks at how SMB users are really only a set of rules and that  means that a single set of rules could easily apply to more than one client computer.  In a typical household, there might be two sets of rules--- parents and children.  You set up those users on your Unraid server and assign the access privileges  for each share.  Then on each Windows client computer, you set up the Windows Credential to log that computer as one of the two users depending on who uses that computer.)