Avast Issue (Pirates against Unraid or Vice Versa)

So building a new windows 10 VM the first thing I do is install a AntiVirus, Avast once it's settled in

This time, using the latest Unraid beta, after the install finished the VM froze

I had to Force stop

Then booted up said no partitions found

Not a huge deal as it was a new VM

So I rebuilt it,  and again tried to install Avast

the installer froze, the VM froze, once again the VM had to be put down

Third time same thing only this time I tried to install avast on one of my Unassigned drives rather than the VM's cache

Same thing

Now before I rebuilt my VMs I did have Avast running just fine

Is anyone having an issue install the latest Avast onto the latest Unraid?

If so did you find a work around?

Or can anyone recommend an AntiVirus, and AntiSpam software they love

in the mean time I'm trying Webroot plus Spamfighter...just sucks I paid for two years of Avast lol

• 1 month later...

Thank god I'm not the only person having this issue!

Installing Avast kills my VM and crashes my server, and from then on I can no longer boot into my VM

Any ideas how one would uninstall Avast from the vm image?

With Avast installed, does the VM freeze immediately or after a few minutes?  In my case, Avast was also causing my Windows 10 VM to freeze, but, it stayed running long enough for me to uninstall the normal way through the Control Panel.  After installing Sophos, it was smooth sailing for my Windows 10 VM.  I had to force Avast to walk the plank.  I have never tried it, but, if your VM freezes immediately, can you boot it into Windows safe mode and uninstall Avast in Safe Mode?

EDIT:  Oops, missed the part about not even being able to boot the VM.  You will probably have to recreate the VM if you can't even boot into it with Avast installed.  Another killer of Windows 10 is apparently CoreTemp RC6.  I had that installed and it locked up Windows 10 every time until I uninstalled it.  It does not even have to be running, just installed.

I would advise anyone setting up a windows vm is after you have all the drivers installed to make a backup of the vm image so if something like this happens you dont have to do a reinstall just swap the vdisk.

As for the vm not starting I wonder if the avast is somehow effecting the virtio drivers for the harddisk.

Virtio devices are purely virtual devices designed to work optimally in a virtual machine, they are similar emulated devices (which dont need special drivers as they emulate known hardware) ,however, non-Linux virtual machines do not include the drivers they require by default and i wonder if this is what avast is disabling???

Thank god I'm not the only person having this issue!

Installing Avast kills my VM and crashes my server, and from then on I can no longer boot into my VM

Any ideas how one would uninstall Avast from the vm image?

With Avast installed, does the VM freeze immediately or after a few minutes?  In my case, Avast was also causing my Windows 10 VM to freeze, but, it stayed running long enough for me to uninstall the normal way through the Control Panel.  After installing Sophos, it was smooth sailing for my Windows 10 VM.  I had to force Avast to walk the plank.  I have never tried it, but, if your VM freezes immediately, can you boot it into Windows safe mode and uninstall Avast in Safe Mode?

EDIT:  Oops, missed the part about not even being able to boot the VM.  You will probably have to recreate the VM if you can't even boot into it with Avast installed.  Another killer of Windows 10 is apparently CoreTemp RC6.  I had that installed and it locked up Windows 10 every time until I uninstalled it.  It does not even have to be running, just installed.

It locked up during installation of Avast itself :\

New VM, sans Avast, all good now :)

I've always had issues with avast and in rc2 now have issues where installing Aug will cause Explorer in Windows 10 to start to stutter and actually had a vm I couldnt shut down

I'm doing windows defender and malware bytes. I then run a hitman Pro scan every so often as well and run PIA vpn which now has a built in anti malware (apparently) 

• 1 month later...

I can see the recommendation in this thread (Which sadly I found after I'd install Avast!) is a fresh start for the VM. I'd really like to save it if I can - is there anyway to get in in Safe Mode and uninstall?

The symptoms I have are when I start the VM it very quickly (during boot from an SSD) becomes unresponsive and takes the entire unraid server down. On the rare occasion I can get a responding putty session I can see the qemu-system process running at x00%.

I'm running 6.2rc4 is the fact that a non-responsive VM can bring the whole server down considered a bug? I don't know if it's unique to the beta/RC as I've not tried on 6.19

I've always had issues with avast and in rc2 now have issues where installing Aug will cause Explorer in Windows 10 to start to stutter and actually had a vm I couldnt shut down

I'm doing windows defender and malware bytes. I then run a hitman Pro scan every so often as well and run PIA vpn which now has a built in anti malware (apparently)

The Private Internet Access VPN app does not have an integrated anti-malware scanner, it only blocks known malware and ad domains (and maybe IPs as as well, not sure). You still need an antivirus like malwarebytes (which i use) to detect and remove ad- and malware since a lot of malware comes from websites which are not on the list.

Avast not working in VMs:

I dont have avast but glasswire (a firewall app) breaks the virtual ethernet after rebooting the VM, the DNS resolution is so slow that most programs that need an internet connection are impossible to use. Because i used the steam version i had to remove the virtual ethernet adapter (since the DNS resolution is only really slow and still theoretically works steam cant be started in offline mode with the virtual ethernet adapter connected), start steam in offline mode and then uninstall Glasswire.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...