Tips and Tweaks page

I do still think a Main screen button/toggle would be somewhat quicker, more convenient.  Unless you add an option for a Main screen button for User Scripts!?!

lol  I learned along time ago to leave system file manipulation (read that as dynamix plugins) well enough alone unless I have no choice...  And I don't think that user scripts is deserving of a tab to itself. 

But I agree with you that for something like a turbo mode on/off, something on Main would be great.  You'll just have to wait for bonienl to come to the rescue

A different tip some users might find useful:

Setting the shares to private enables authentication, which requires unraid users to be defined.

By default, SAMBA shares that have authentication uses the user who authenticated to perform the file access. this can cause file permission issues between multiple users, particularly between files created by dockers, and unraid users over SMB shares.

A workaround is to force all behind the scene access using a single user, typically nobody. Then using the unraid user accounts for authorization only.

I have this little snippet in the /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Code: [global]

force user = nobody

There are other options to force permissions too, but its not necessary as the nobody user will always have access to files created, modified by it self.

• 2 weeks later...

I you have a Smart or Managed Switch, you will find that the switch has set up a default VLAN that includes all ports in the switch.  It is probably VLAN 1.  You should set up the unRAID network to be a member of that VLAN.  I found a lot of dropped packets before I set up a VLAN on unRAID.  Maybe one of the network experts here can offer some explanation.

In networking VLAN 1 is called the native VLAN. This means that any untagged frames (no VLAN) are considered/treated as VLAN 1.

A switch has by default VLAN 1 enabled on all its ports and thus allows forwarding of untagged frames without modification.

Systems normally send frames untagged unless explicitly configured otherwise, this allows them to communicate using any switch out-of-the-box. It also means any unsolicited frames are received, indicated as dropped packets. Broadcast and multicast frames are the usual source. This is harmless and often disabling the originator of these frames is the best approach.

• 2 months later...

I think it would be great to have a toggle for turbo write on the Main page.  Plugin anyone?

RobJ, I feel like this is something that limetech thought about then changed their mind. Because in the disk settings page you have the setting 'Tunable (md_write_method):'

Now this has three settings: Auto - read/modify/write (default) - reconstruct write (turbo).

Now to my mind this would make sense if 'Auto' meant standard write if array was spun down and you just wrote a random file to a disk. Then to basically enable turbo write you could click the already existing button to spin up all disks. Then if all disks were already spinning then unRAID would switch intelligently to turbo write.

Because Turbo write is great I'm playing with it now. It's doubling my write speed which is great for my machine backups, etc but probably overkill if i'm copying an MP3 over!

I actually thought that's what auto meant on that setting until I clicked the help button!

• 1 year later...

the nic flow control/offload verbiage is a bit confusing..

I load up this page and I see per the right side that flow control and nic offload are off.. but the options themselves do not match up because of "disable" being used..  which creates a double negative with 'no'.

disable nic flow control = no.

when I read it, means that nic flow control isnt disabled.. 

I think the confusion could be solved by changing 'Disable' to 'Use'.

firefox_2017-11-28_12-12-04.png

Edited by zoggy

Have you saved the settings?  If you have and they don't take, then your NICs don't respond to the settings.  The settings may not work on all NICs.  Tips and Tweaks doesn't verify the actual settings in the NIC.  It just tries to set the parameters you select and if the NICs support them, the changes will take effect.

I have saved the settings ages ago when I first installed the plugin to have it archive the syslog.

Today I was loading the plugin page open to make sure the syslog option was still set and that's when I saw the verbiage up top and reported on it.

So anyways, the settings on the right and the settings on the page are how they are when loading the page.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I have two different problems with this plugin:

1.) When I choose "Power Save" as my CPU Scaling Governor, my Plex Docker Container buffers all streams every 10-15 seconds.

949733574_2020-06-1616_37_23.thumb.png.ad9846acbb69757acf2a21ba368f5296.png

Do I need an other driver or is the "ACPI" correct for my Atom C3758? Testing with <watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo> returned 800 Mhz if no process was running. Now its around 1.7 Ghz (with On Demand).

2.) By default, the NIC settings contained "eth0" in the list, but as long this value was part of the settings my Unraid server was not able to connect the internet anymore!

477407288_2020-06-1616_32_26.thumb.png.b087e4670744f98b7ac4ff0206823940.png

I do not know which of these settings caused this problem. My suggestion is to add "N/A" to the different options to be able to reset all NIC settings. While the server was running I was able to reset them by re-applying the unraid network settings (removed and added the second DNs server ip ^^).

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I don't know id this plugin is still maintaned but I would let you know that "Power Save" inCPU Scaling Governor causes 2 main issues:

1. VMs and docker are generally much slowers (I checked boot time in my only VM and it is 10 time slower). 
  2. Some container (in my experience Unraid-Api and ZoneMinder) are unusable because when on they cause 100% peak in every CPU.

1 hour ago, Jokerigno said:

Hi,

I don't know id this plugin is still maintaned but I would let you know that "Power Save" inCPU Scaling Governor causes 2 main issues:

1. VMs and docker are generally much slowers (I checked boot time in my only VM and it is 10 time slower). 
  2. Some container (in my experience Unraid-Api and ZoneMinder) are unusable because when on they cause 100% peak in every CPU.

This plugin is maintained.  Tips and tweaks sets the cpu governor, but has no control over how it operates.  It is the governor that is operating the way you describe.  The power save governor saves power; it does not provide the highest performance.  It is recommended that you use the Performance governor for best power savings and performance.

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It is the governor that is operating the way you describe.  The power save governor saves power; it does not provide the highest performance.  

I wan't looking for highest performance. But as you know, because we spoke a lot in past days, power save in 6.9.2 produce issue that were not in 6.8.3. So if not in the plugin something else has changed because behavior changed. I will follow you advise as always. I just wanted to post what was my issue and the way I fixed it. 

7 minutes ago, Jokerigno said:

I wan't looking for highest performance. But as you know, because we spoke a lot in past days, power save in 6.9.2 produce issue that were not in 6.8.3. So if not in the plugin something else has changed because behavior changed. I will follow you advise as always. I just wanted to post what was my issue and the way I fixed it. 

There were changes in the latest release of Linux regarding the cpu governors on Intel processors.

• 8 months later...

FYI....changing CPU Scaling Governor from Performance to On Demand caused kernel panics. At first I thought it was hardware issues but I swapped new hardware with older and known working hardware and was still getting kernel panics within a day of resetting the server. Changed it back to Performance and it hasn't crashed since.

Using Supermicro mobo with E5-2600 V2 series CPUs and running 6.10.RC2.

Edited by Fuggin
  • 7 months later...