withdrawn

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...thought i would try installing everything manually...

my old rutorrent was in a wwwdocs folder on disk one.

Put your own configs on the flash key, in their respective folders under the /custom/ folder.

They will survive reboot there, and UnTorrent will use your configs, with all the modifications you've made.

Purko

Install is nice and easy. Good job!

I'm having 2 issues.

1. Some torrents finish downloading and just go to a state of "pausing" but stay in the downloading queue and everything goes to zero percent. See attached screenshot. They ARE in fact completed. Some torrents actually move into the "completed" section.

2. The folder naming is a bit of a mess. Why is it creating a folder called "a_torrent" and putting everything in there?

\\tower\torrents\complete\a_torrent\ <--- my finished downloads are in this folder.... why?

I am guessing...

You deleted that "a_torrent" folder from your hard disk.

So now your torrents are just pausing after they are finished because they can't get moved there.

You can change the rtorrent settings if you wish: Edit the .rtorrent.rc  file found in the custom/rtorrent  folder on your flash key, and change the folders the way you like it.  Whatever changes you make there will survive server reboot.

As for that "a_torrent" folder... 

It's a leftover from my own .rtorrent.rc modifications. I used to export .../torrents/complete as a root dir to SageTV's video import directories. So I wanted a way to distinguish the freshly downloaded torrents from all else that's in Sage's root dir.

Anyway, I've removed that "a_torrent" folder from the default .rtorrent.rc  and made a new build:  UnTorrent-2.8.4

Notice that the new build will not make any changes for you, if it finds any existing config file in the custom/rtorrent  folder on your flash key. That's the whole idea about that file being "persistent".

Thanks for catching that.

Purko

Install is nice and easy. Good job!

I'm having 2 issues.

1. Some torrents finish downloading and just go to a state of "pausing" but stay in the downloading queue and everything goes to zero percent. See attached screenshot. They ARE in fact completed. Some torrents actually move into the "completed" section.

2. The folder naming is a bit of a mess. Why is it creating a folder called "a_torrent" and putting everything in there?

\\tower\torrents\complete\a_torrent\ <--- my finished downloads are in this folder.... why?

I am guessing...

You deleted that "a_torrent" folder from your hard disk.

So now your torrents are just pausing after they are finished because they can't get moved there.

You can change the rtorrent settings if you wish: Edit the .rtorrent.rc  file found in the custom/rtorrent  folder on your flash key, and change the folders the way you like it.  Whatever changes you make there will survive server reboot.

As for that "a_torrent" folder... 

It's a leftover from my own .rtorrent.rc modifications. I used to export .../torrents/complete as a root dir to SageTV's video import directories. So I wanted a way to distinguish the freshly downloaded torrents from all else that's in Sage's root dir.

Anyway, I've removed that "a_torrent" folder from the default .rtorrent.rc  and made a new build:  untorrent-2.8.4

Notice that the new build will not make any changes for you, if it finds any existing config file in the custom/rtorrent  folder on your flash key. That's the whole idea about that file being "persistent".

Thanks for catching that.

Purko

Interesting interesting. I'll try the new version tonight. It's addons like these that make unraid actually worthwhile. I hate having an entire box just chilling in my closet. Now that I have sabnzbd and torrents going, it's becoming useful :)

OK, It seems to be a samba passwd or else.

But why is it there ?

Why did untorrent create it ?

Is it necesseray ?

PS : upgrading to 2.8.5 removed the .rtorrent.rc file from custom/lighttpd and write a new one in custom/rtorrent

Now my config is gone and I have to correct it again.

If you haven't upgrade now, back up the .rtorrent.rc file before upgrading.

OK, It seems to be a samba passwd or else.

But why is it there ?

Why did untorrent create it ?

It didn't.

PS : upgrading to 2.8.5 removed the .rtorrent.rc file from custom/lighttpd and write a new one in custom/rtorrent

Now my config is gone and I have to correct it again.

If you haven't upgrade now, back up the .rtorrent.rc file before upgrading.

UnTorrent creates config files in the same places where BubbaQ's UnRaid-Web does, and only if a config file by that name doesn't already exist there.

If an existing config file is found, then UnTorrent doesn't create anything. The config files are currently these:*

/boot/custom/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
/boot/custom/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf.include
/boot/custom/rtorrent/.rtorrent.rc
/boot/custom/php/php.ini
/boot/custom/php/mod_php.conf
/boot/config/rc.local_shutdown

If the above files exist there, then UnTorrent will leave them untouched.

So any modification you make thre will be safe from subsequent reinstallations of UnTorrent, and/or server reboots.

(I can't guarantee that BubbaQ's UnRaid-Web won't overwrite /boot/custom/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf for example, but UnTorrent won't.)

Purko

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

* -- /boot/custom/... is the way the boot flash key is mounted in Linux.  Read that to be the /custom/ folder on your flash key.

But if you are thinking about opening your unRAID server to be accessible from the outside world, that would be a really bad idea.

Everything on unRAID runs as root, and it has no proterctions whatsoever.  unRAID was designed for serving your home network.

Trust me, I take security very seriously (same goes for backups). Although, networking is not my strongest skill (I like seeing code and knowing whats going on). Peer Guardian just blocks IP's. This is useful even if you aren't running torrents.

Most people running torrents are probably not confined to distributing files on a closed internal network. You have to open unRaid to the outside for unRUtorrent. If a admin PW is set on unRaid, isn't this sufficient? I curious to learn. Why would forwarding some odd port be a "really bad idea" on unRaid (I understand a open port is like an unlocked apartment door).

Thanks again purko for keeping things as close to 1-click install as possible.

You have to open unRaid to the outside for unRUtorrent. If a admin PW is set on unRaid, isn't this sufficient?

No it is not. If you're running any process that is open to the outside world as Root/Admin, you are vulnerable. There could be bugs in the programs you're running that allow for attackers to have it execute any code they want (buffer overflow conditions / remote execute exploits). The proper secure way of doing so will have the Torrent/Usenet programs running under a very restricted account. This account will not have a login shell and will not have access to parts of the system outside of it's limited download directory.

You have to open unRaid to the outside for unRUtorrent.

[...] I curious to learn. Why would forwarding some odd port be...

Not necessarily. You don't have to do port forwarding from your router in order to run rtorrent.

My main unRAID server is one example:

It is behind a NAS router (itself a linux box, with firewalls and the works), which doesn't do any port forwarding -- just strictly NAS.

That router is in turn behind another router (different linux flavor, different firewalls) which doesn't do port forwarding either.

And yet my rtorrent is happily running on my unRAID box and downloading torrents.

So, what do you mean by "open unRaid to the outside" anyway?

Forget about rtorrent for a moment. A big number of unRAID users have given their unRAID servers a gateway to the Internet

so the ntpd daemon can update the server time. Would you call that "opening unRaid to the outside"? 

If you answer yes, then the problem is more general, and is not created by rtorrent.

If you answer no, then you know that rtorrent can't do any more damage than your ntpd daemon.

Most people running torrents are probably not confined to distributing files on a closed internal network.

Well then those people have a general problem, with or without rtorrent.

Purko

...have the Torrent/Usenet programs running under a very restricted account.

Now this can be given some serious consideration...

I'm putting it on my to-do list.

Purko

I was just going to suggest having the unRUtorrent install create a restricted account.

As for your previous post, I thought the port defined in the uTorrent (ruTorrent) interface needed to be forwarded to seed. Forwarding a port to unRaid is what I mean by "opening it up".

I thought the port defined in the uTorrent (ruTorrent) interface needed to be forwarded to seed. Forwarding a port to unRaid is what I mean by "opening it up".

Again, port forwarding is only needed if you want the outside world to be able to initiate connections to your server.

Without port forwarding, only you can initiate connections to the outside world.

If you want to do port forwarding from your router to your unRAID server, then -- forget about rtorrent -- the unRAID server software itself is the wrong choice for your needs.

Purko

If you want to do port forwarding from your router to your unRAID server, then -- forget about rtorrent -- the unRAID server software itself is the wrong choice for your needs.

But I do want to do this! It's important that I seed. Aside from the obvious discussion of running as root, is there a reason not to? In my limited trial it appears to be working just fine. Is there another security problem there?