Plex vs Kodi vs Emby

testdasi

I think (feel free to correct me) Plex and Emby are more server (i.e. supplying media to devices) and Kodi is more a client media centre (i.e. have some media locally, how to show / play them in a pleasing manner).

So I'm a bit puzzled as to why would you want to have both Plex / Emby and Kodi on the same unRAID server though? I kinda feel like the answer is very obvious but can't seem to pin point it.  ???

Reason for Kodi (headless) as a Docker is to have it be the defualt notification address for new media coming in. For example is your Couchpotato gets a new movie, it will tell the Kodi headless to update its library so it shows up at all the other Kodi clients. I have small HTPC's at each of my TV sets running OPenelec (An OS that is only to serve Kodi). This means you have a centralized Kodi library (slightly complicated to set up). You need to also run the MariaDB docker as your MySQL server.

Smart TVs, Amazon Fire Sticks, Rokus, etc have all made great strides lately. You can run Plex clients in all those environments. However this likely means your server will need to trans-code the media to a format playable by that "device"> Lots of advantages.... But you have to have decent server CPU power and a fast UP internet connection if you want to view your media outside of your home network.

Emby I belive is like a Plex, but it can run as a plugin inside Kodi... meaning Kodi will still be the client, but the entire media database is maintained by Emby.

I stick w/ Kodi since I like the interface...  But I also run Plex Server so I can watch on my iPads, web, etc. and also share my collection with other family members outside my home network.

Good luck... a lot to learn, but its oh so satisfying once you get all the pieces together.

Emby is an opensource Plex basically. They both use ffmpeg to transcode (with the Plex version being a slightly modified version of ffmpeg basically). The man difference is the ecosystem, Plex has a solid ecosystem which pretty much is consistent across platforms.  This is actually a pretty recent change as some platforms were really far behind until earlier this year. Emby not so much. At least when I last looked into Emby about a year ago.

Emby is an opensource Plex basically. They both use ffmpeg to transcode (with the Plex version being a slightly modified version of ffmpeg basically). The man difference is the ecosystem, Plex has a solid ecosystem which pretty much is consistent across platforms.  This is actually a pretty recent change as some platforms were really far behind until earlier this year. Emby not so much. At least when I last looked into Emby about a year ago.

I have been using Emby for over a year now and I have not had 1 hiccup. Very active development, great community, very frequent releases, feature rich, GREAT KODI plugin (which does centralised database management across multiple KODI / Openelec devices without having to mess around with an instance of MySQL).

If a users main aim is centralised database management, then I don't think there is a better solution than Emby.

> Install Kodi or Openelec on client device

> Install Emby Docker

> Add Folder to Emby

> Install Emby Plugin

=> Emby Plugin searches Network, finds instance of Emby and auto configures and sync's media library into Kodi.

> Done.

No messing with database versions as KODI gets upgraded. FAST incremental Sync. FAST re-scan. No metadata issues. Supports streaming and direct play (e.g. via SMB).

Can't fault it.

Just m2c.

I have been using Emby for over a year now and I have not had 1 hiccup. Very active development, great community, very frequent releases, feature rich, GREAT KODI plugin (which does centralised database management across multiple KODI / Openelec devices without having to mess around with an instance of MySQL).

If a users main aim is centralised database management, then I don't think there is a better solution than Emby.

> Install Emby Docker

> Add Folder to Emby

> Install Emby Plugin

=> Emby Plugin searches Network, finds instance of Emby and auto configures and sync's media library into Kodi.

> Done.

No messing with database versions as KODI gets upgraded. FAST incremental Sync. FAST re-scan. No metadata issues. Supports streaming and direct play (e.g. via SMB).

Can't fault it.

Just m2c.

With PlexkodiConnect (new addon) you can do the same thing as Emby (it’s actually based off the Emby plugin code).

> Install Emby Docker

> Add Folder to Emby

> Install Emby Plugin

> Done.

Can't fault it.

Just m2c.

With PlexkodiConnect (new addon) you can do the same thing as Emby (it’s actually based off the Emby plugin code).

Yeah, I am aware of that development. For those looking I found this link to what is being referenced above:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/210023/plexkodiconnect-let-kodi-talk-to-your-plex

For me, Emby still gets the nod. For a few reasons:

1. Emby is Open Source and Plex is not.

2. The Plugin being referenced above is a 3rd Party Plugin while the Emby Plugin is an Emby developed and officially supported one.

3. Appears that the Plex plugin does not support direct play (media streaming only).

4. The Plex plugin does not support resume (probably due to the streaming limitation I would imagine).

I also believe (but am not sure) that the Plex plugin does not have an automatic update feature either, whereby AFAIK the Emby one does.

> Install Emby Docker

> Add Folder to Emby

> Install Emby Plugin

> Done.

Can't fault it.

Just m2c.

Glad to hear Emby is coming up in the world. There were still some kinks to work out when I last looked into Emby and they were missing a key feature (ipad support was bad.) It showed a lot of promise so I am glad that they came though on a lot of it. I might have to go back and reevaluate my ecosystem again this summer and see if I want to make a switch.

A lot of hate on the use of MySQL for a shared library in Kodi....

It's not really THAT hard to setup, even for a novice (which by no means am I an expert).

The biggest thing I hated was waiting for OE to update, however I've removed it's usage with Kodibuntu, so that's no longer an issue.

While Kodi does not transcode, it has more available options for a lot of things.

I use Kodi for LiveTv/PVR, and even though it is far from perfect, there are many backend options that work with Kodi, last I checked this was not the case with Plex or Emby.

Emby has a new PVR for use with HDHR devices, however when it was being developed it only supported the newer DLNA HDHR's (HDHR4US for OTA), and to do some PVR actions required you to pay for some sort of subscription or something to Emby... To me that was a ride on the fail boat. Maybe all of this has changed, IDK, but it was unfortunate at the time. I do pay for Schedulesdirect, so I'm not that cheap, however what you had to pay for for PVR to fully work (was it series recordings?) was just weird.

+1 for Emby (and the Emby for Kodi plugin).  I'm new to Kodi as well as Emby and for a novice it was pretty painless to setup.  I went ahead and bought the app for my iDevices and it works extremely well.  I just streamed a 1080p BluRay remux version of Hurt Locker to a friend's house the other day using my iPhone and Airplay to his Apple TV.  He couldn't believe the quality nor could I (of course the internet connections on both sides helped).  This was one of the reasons I recently upgraded my server's processing power.  ;)  As a traditional hardware playback guy, I'm very pleased with the transcoding capabilities of Emby.

A few things I've observed while using the various plugins and software.

Emby/ plugin for kodi

Pros:

-Server/client

-Clients can be on any version of emby

-Transcoding (never actually used this)

-Management of the media inside on the emby database is easy via the web interface (neither plex nor kodi have this type of management)

Cons:

-If clients are off then will need to sync on start up to popular new content, slower the device the longer that takes

-Honestly didn't use it long enough to find anymore cons due the the fact the above con being a deal breaker for me

Kodi with mysql and headless Kodi

Pros:

-Everything is done on the server (like the server/client ability of the other 2 options) full database is kept on the server and updated on the server. Installing a new kodi devices and having the library setup on that device is the fastest of all options. Edit the advancedsettings.xml file with the location of the mysql database and the library is instantly available.

-Synced watched and pause/resume status between devices

-Any library update is shown immediately when a client device is turned on no syncing needed. Personally this is a must for me and in my opinion a must if you turn off your devices.

Cons:

-No transcoding

-Can't play on closed source devices, chromecast, smart tv, game console etc.

Plex

Pro:

-The best option for accessing your media from outside of your lan

-Apps/software is available for most every close sourced device you would want it on and of course will run on anything kodi will (this is a blanket statement and might not be 100% true) There apparently is plex for openelec, I have never tried this. I'm more familiar with openelec Kodi. Either way "appliance like" installs is what I prefer, very hard to break.

-Easy to use, gui is fairly similar between devices.

-Will transcode to make sure the file will pay on any device

Cons:

-No customization at all

-Kodi has more functions as a media center (though I haven't used their windows/mac software)

-Not as easy to manages your media inside of the database

-Basically no plugins or ability to add functionality (there is some but compared to kodi its not in the same league)

-Transcoding can be a con (high server load)

-I think there is more but that's the main stuff.

PlexKodiConnect and plexbmc (Kodi plugins)

Plexbmc is an addon/plugin and functions as one, accessible via addons in kodi. Not a good solution for main media watching be its worth mention due to being useful as a backup or accessing a remote plex server.

PlexKodiConnect, I haven't spent enough time with it to give and real impressions other then its still pretty early. I couldn't actually get any version before the latest to work. PlexKodiConnect works like the emby plugins for kodi. It syncs the database to each client.

Personally I think PlexKodiConnect has a chance to become really useful. The general consonances you'll find around the internet is Kodi is a better local media player and plex is the go to media player for playing media outside your lan and for devices you can't run kodi on. You'll see a lot of users run both kodi (usually with mysql and headless) and plex.

Combining PlexKodiConnect and kodi seems to be the best of both worlds. Sever side central database, transcoding to remote clients and devices that can't directly stream the file format and the Kodi front end for the best local media experience. Additional it also adds/allows for multiple users (yes kodi can do this but a separate db is needed for each user) and watch status will be synced between kodi and plex because kddi is using the plex database.

BTW danioj, PlexKodiConnect does support direct play and does support resume according the the OP in this thread:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/210023/plexkodiconnect-supercharge-your-plex-kodi-connection#latest

-Apps/software is available for most every close sourced device you would want it on and of course will run on anything kodi will except linux

This just is not true. Perhaps I'm not reading that right or you worded it incorrectly but Plex is available as a standalone "appliance" like install, infact there are more than 2 projects for this.

-Apps/software is available for most every close sourced device you would want it on and of course will run on anything kodi will except linux

This just is not true. Perhaps I'm not reading that right or you worded it incorrectly but Plex is available as a standalone "appliance" like install, infact there are more than 2 projects for this.

Last time I checked, which admittedly was about a year or so ago, there was a project just starting to offer an appliance like linux install but it wasn't really ready for prime time. So I guess that rightfully has changed. I'll edit my post. Mind throwing up the links?

A bit of googling got me Plex for Openelec, is that what you were referring to? Didn't seem to find much of a site for it but this is what I found: http://www.cuttingcords.com/home/2015/1/2/turning-a-chromebox-into-a-full-fledged-plex-home-theater-client

One thing that I've noticed myself. I've tried most of these solutions and some more that have not been mentioned.  Much of your decision is predicated on your CLIENTS.  If you have a full blown PC at every TV and you don't care about mobile devices, all you need is Unraid and Kodi. If you are going to provide content on various clients - that is the first stop - what plugins or apps are there and are your clients supported. When you step into the need for Transcoding - you need some horsepower in your Server. Gonna share to phones and such? Even more horsepower. Multiple streams? Even MORE horsepower. So, if you only have a dual core CPU, you're very limited in what Plugins or Dockers you can actually use. (Tried Emby, Serviio, Plex - all are unsuitable for streaming to PS3 using my hardware - it's just too low spec.  Tells me I want to upgrade to an AMD Zen server next year!)

Also consider Serviio - it has one neat capability that is unique - there is a Serviio app that you can configure the Docker with from a client, like an Android tablet or phone. Much easier to configure/tweak using ServiiDroid although Dockers are pretty easy to get running. All the tweaking is done from ServiiDroid after minimal docker setup to get the App running.

What do I use? Kodi on Ubuntu and Unraid. I tinker with getting something to work with PS3/PS4/Wii U/NeoTv/NeoTvMAX but those are much harder clients that require transcoding to work. Never considered running Emby just to autoupdate the Kodi database - 30 seconds if I ever shut down the client...most of the time it is in suspend, so no penalty for waking it up. I use Kore to run Kodi from my Android tablet.

To me, Plex is useless unless you are paying for mobile device access. Is that an unfair assessment? I could not do anything with Plex unless I was ready to purchase a PlexPass. If you don't care about streaming over the net to mobile devices, you're better off with Emby.

I tried Emby and the only thing I liked about it was the built in TV for HDHomeRun.  Everything else about Emby was way to buggy for me.  I think Plex is the best, it just works.  If/When they add native HDHomeRun support it will be by far the best IMHO.  I use Plex with PlexPass and have no issues with it.  I bought it when it was $100 for life.  I also use Kodi since I love hockey and subscribe to NHL.TV and the add ons work great for it. 

I will try Emby again if they let the metadata to be stored in the actual media file and not have it separate, that is a big issue with me.

Try them all and see what works best for you.

I tried Emby and the only thing I liked about it was the built in TV for HDHomeRun.  Everything else about Emby was way to buggy for me.  I think Plex is the best, it just works.  If/When they add native HDHomeRun support it will be by far the best IMHO.  I use Plex with PlexPass and have no issues with it.  I bought it when it was $100 for life.  I also use Kodi since I love hockey and subscribe to NHL.TV and the add ons work great for it. 

I will try Emby again if they let the metadata to be stored in the actual media file and not have it separate, that is a big issue with me.

Try them all and see what works best for you.

I can understand the metadata issue if that is your requirement although the use of .nfo files, xml and or artwork is quite widespread and I am not sure it is even possible that ALL of that can be stored in the media file itself - anyway that is your requirement, so be it.

Everything else about Emby was way to buggy for me

However, in what way was it "buggy"? I am sorry if I come across combative but I have real issue with blanket statements like that with no supporting evidence or explanation.

Personally, I push the limits of Emby for simultaneous streaming from up to 6 devices (4 local 2 remote), transcoding, subtitles, metadata management, access via a plugin for devices running KODI / Openelec and it is rock solid. And I mean not 1 issue.

I think it would benefit the unRAID community (while also being respectful to the developers of this software) if you could elaborate and be specific. Perhaps even point to bug reports / issues you have raised etc.

To me the biggest missing piece in my ecosystem is Live TV. I am in the US and I have Time Warner Cable as my TV provider. They copy-protect (copy once I think they call it) all of the channels except the ones one can get over the air. I have Openelec devices at each TV, I could use Emby, and I also run Plex MS.

Anyone know of a solution that would let me have ALL of my cable content to any of my devices? I do have one Win 7 computer in my network (my main desktop PC). Cable company does offer CableCards. But from what I understand, something like the HDHomeRun Prime only works with Win Media Center...

I am also embarrassed to admit that I have one Amazon Fire TV stick.... for Amazon Prime (atrocious selection) and Netflix (which is slightly better), but my media collection and the Kodi interface is so much better than either of those services.

However, in what way was it "buggy"? I am sorry if I come across combative but I have real issue with blanket statements like that with no supporting evidence or explanation.

In my experience, and admittedly it was short (though I do have emby installed at a relatives place), emby didn't feel polished. I can't give any specific reasons unfortunately. Not bashing emby and I think is a great project.

Thanks mr-hexen!

I am also embarrassed to admit that I have one Amazon Fire TV stick.... for Amazon Prime (atrocious selection) and Netflix (which is slightly better), but my media collection and the Kodi interface is so much better than either of those services.

Why's that? I got a Fire TV just so I could stream a few apps and more importantly so I could side-load Kodi. Works great.

Why's that? I got a Fire TV just so I could stream a few apps and more importantly so I could side-load Kodi. Works great.

Embarrassed because my content is so much better than what Netflix or Amazon offers. I have to test out Kodi on the Fire stick... It cant be as good as running Openelec on a dedicated mini PC.