FAQ Feedback - for FAQ for unRAID v6

RobJ

WARNING: 

There is now a dedicated site for Unraid documentation here that should be considered the definitive documentation.  As a result links in many forum threads (including this one) may be outdated as they point to the old wiki version of the documentation.

This is the feedback thread for the forum FAQ, as we don't want anyone cluttering the FAQ up.  Anything that's added to the FAQ that's not a Q with A will be moved to this thread.  This is the place for suggestions, complaints, requests for FAQ entries, and any discussion about current FAQ entries.

I've started this FAQ for unRAID, to be general in nature, for any one of our community helpers to add Frequently Asked Questions.  It is Squid's idea, and a good one, based on the existing Docker FAQ and its Docker FAQ Feedback thread.

I've also started updating the wiki FAQ for v6.  I spent quite a few hours today on it, thought I'd accomplished a lot, then measured how much and found it was only about 20% done!  So there's still a lot to do there, but it does have a lot of good info on unRAID.  I'm working down from the top, with a red warning line marking how far I've got (I keep pushing it down ahead of me).  I'd appreciate anyone reviewing my rewrites for accuracy or improvements.

There are two issues with chrome that come up again and again (although they only affect some users), in case you want to add them to the FAQ:

1-changing the number of array disk slots crashes the WebGUI

2-adding a cache disk (or adding more disks to the cache pool) doesn't stick after a reboot

Users affected should use a different browser for these operations, for the cache pool issue the hole procedure should be done with it, assign cache disk(s), start array, stop array and reboot.

There are two issues with chrome that come up again and again (although they only affect some users), in case you want to add them to the FAQ:

2-adding a cache disk (or adding more disks to the cache pool) doesn't stick after a reboot

Users affected should use a different browser for these operations, for the cache pool issue the hole procedure should be done with it, assign cache disk(s), start array, stop array and reboot.

So write it up and add it yourself

Agree but I don't think I'm the right person to write it, haven't experienced it that way.  I'm hoping you can?!?    ;)

I actually experienced something like it, some time before the current crop of Chrome reports.  While using Firefox, I could not get a slot count change to stick, finally discovered it would only stick when I used Chrome.  I then repeated that over and over again, it would fail in Firefox, work in Chrome.  When I reported it, bonienl could not repeat it though, it worked for him everywhere.

What is the Local Master in SMB and does it involve the Internet?

I answered a query recently and complied a response which is referenced here:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.msg466717#msg466717

The next post suggested that the information be added to the WIKI.  I could see it going into the Networking section (#10) but I am unsure the way to do this.  Do you want to be the one controlling this since you are revising the entire FAQ?  I would be happy to rework this post and make it a bit more general if that would help.

I'd try and rework it so that it stands alone without involving the other thread

What is the Local Master in SMB and does it involve the Internet?

I answered a query recently and complied a response which is referenced here:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.msg466717#msg466717

The next post suggested that the information be added to the WIKI.  I could see it going into the Networking section (#10) but I am unsure the way to do this.  Do you want to be the one controlling this since you are revising the entire FAQ?  I would be happy to rework this post and make it a bit more general if that would help.

I'd try and rework it so that it stands alone without involving the other thread

Agreed, I would prefer a complete answer, standalone and as general as possible, in either FAQ.  However, I realize my answer is somewhat hypocritical, as I've been the worst offender, in placing a Q in the FAQ with only a link to the answer somewhere in the forums.  I didn't have the time or the inclination to rewrite someone else's answer in the FAQ.

As to the place you put it or who does it - I really hope you will control that yourself.  One of the huge problems with the past wiki work is that only one person was behind most of it, and that tends to inhibit others who could have participated, contributed.  I was happy to do it, but it wasn't a good way to proceed.  I therefore think it's extremely important for the future of the wiki (and similar community managed works) that as many authors as possible get involved.  There will be some inconsistencies and small conflicts when you have lots of cooks in the kitchen, but so what!

A small personal comment - I've been battling A-fib and flutter for quite awhile, severely impacting my availability here, can't think well during the frequent episodes.  A week ago, I had a cardiac ablation and am hoping for improvement, but major anesthesia has whacked me down, little mental energy and only in small bits and dabs.  Today seems better, but we'll see.  I had so many things I wanted to contribute here, but no mental energy to work them out.  I'll help as I can.

• 8 months later...

Is there a way to create a Windows shortcut for shutting down the unRAID server?

On your Windows machine:

- Install PuTTY first, it includes plink.exe

- Create a batch file (store it anywhere you choose) containing the following line (replace password_here and server_IP_here):

plink.exe  -ssh  -pw  password_here  root@server_IP_here  powerdown

e.g. plink.exe -ssh -pw 123456 [email protected] powerdown

- Create a shortcut on your Windows desktop that points to that batch file

Clicking that shortcut should start the normal unRAID shutdown procedures.

And how is this working for the sleep? (if there is a way)

Thanks for a hint  ;)

Is there a way to create a Windows shortcut for shutting down the unRAID server?

On your Windows machine:

- Install PuTTY first, it includes plink.exe

- Create a batch file (store it anywhere you choose) containing the following line (replace password_here and server_IP_here):

plink.exe  -ssh  -pw  password_here  root@server_IP_here  powerdown

e.g. plink.exe -ssh -pw 123456 [email protected] powerdown

- Create a shortcut on your Windows desktop that points to that batch file

Clicking that shortcut should start the normal unRAID shutdown procedures.

And how is this working for the sleep? (if there is a way)

Thanks for a hint  ;)

I'm sorry, I don't sleep!  ;)  But hopefully, someone else can help ...

• 1 month later...

Since I have written about formatting many times in the forum, I thought I would make a FAQ for it so I can just post a link to it in the future. I am posting my thoughts here for feedback, especially wrt the reformatting steps, since I am not going to test them. I would also be willing to put this in the Wiki (where?).

Formatting Disks in unRAID

The word "format" means "write an empty filesystem". That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. You must let unRAID format any data disk it will use in the array or cache pool.

Note that format is a write operation. When you format a disk that is part of the array, unRAID treats this write just as it does any other, by updating parity. So, after the format is done, parity agrees that the disk has an empty filesystem. Format is NEVER part of the process of rebuilding a data disk.

Sometimes, unRAID does not need a formatted disk. The parity disk does not need to be formatted since it has no filesystem.

A disk that will be used to rebuild another disk does not need to be formatted, since it will be completely overwritten with the original disk's data.

A formatted disk is not a clear disk, since it has a filesystem written to it. When you add a disk to a new slot in the parity array, it must be clear so parity will remain valid. If you don't preclear it, unRAID will clear it.

Changing the format of a disk in the array

If there are any files on the disk you wish to keep, copy them somewhere else. Then, in the webUI:

Main - Array Operation - Stop.

Main - Array Devices - click on the disk you wish to reformat to get to the settings page for the disk.

Select the File system type.

Main - Array Operation - Start will start the array and format the disk.

To change the format of any disk in the array:

Main - Array Devices - click on the disk you wish to reformat to get to the settings page for the disk.

A tad misleading since you don't outright say to copy the data off of the disk prior to formatting.  Although you do say in the main body that formatting erases everything, I'm worried that people will ignore the body (who reads nowadays?) and go straight to the step by step.

To change the format of any disk in the array:

A tad misleading since you don't outright say to copy the data off of the disk prior to formatting.  Although you do say in the main body that formatting erases everything, I'm worried that people will ignore the body (who reads nowadays?) and go straight to the step by step.

Updated post to help keep people who don't bother to read from reading the wrong parts and making a mistake. Yes, I know it has happened many times with other instructions around here. ;)

Your third topic is "How to search this forum - no it is not obvious" ... may deserve a faq as well :)

That one is still stickied in Legacy Support, but it has a link to it in the V6 FAQ.

That is certainly one that I often refer to though. Unfortunately, the people that need it the most aren't the people who read FAQs. ;D

Formatting Disks in unRAID

The word "format" means "write an empty filesystem". That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. You must let unRAID format any data disk it will use in the array or cache pool.

Note that format is a write operation. When you format a disk that is part of the array, unRAID treats this write just as it does any other, by updating parity. So, after the format is done, parity agrees that the disk has an empty filesystem. Format is NEVER part of the process of rebuilding a data disk.

Sometimes, unRAID does not need a formatted disk. The parity disk does not need to be formatted since it has no filesystem.

A disk that will be used to rebuild another disk does not need to be formatted, since it will be completely overwritten with the original disk's data.

A formatted disk is not a clear disk, since it has a filesystem written to it. When you add a disk to a new slot in the parity array, it must be clear so parity will remain valid. If you don't preclear it, unRAID will clear it.

Changing the format of a disk in the array

If there are any files on the disk you wish to keep, copy them somewhere else. Then, in the webUI:

It seems my Formatting FAQ tells about reformatting, but doesn't say a lot about actually formatting in the webUI. And it should probably also include something about not formatting when you have an unmountable disk. I will be away for a few hours so can't get to it right now, just looking for some more feedback.

*edit* I have moved it from the FAQ to this thread until I can gather enough information to finish it properly.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Just now, Frank1940 said:

Just how did you locate them-- brute force or are there some clues as to which post in a LONG thread is the proverbial 'needle'. 

Quote the post, double click each link, copy the URL text and in another tab search for that text, then copy the URL back....   I was bored.  All the links in IPS that reference specific messages that were imported over from SMF stopped working a week or so ago...  

(And no, I will never be bored enough to go through every post in IPS to fix the URLs)

• trurl pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
On 12/15/2016 at 11:07 AM, RobJ said:

I have software that requires using port 80.  How do I change the HTTP port that unRAID uses?

First, be certain that's what you really want, as changing the unRAID port should normally be a last resort.  It's usually much better to change the port your app needs instead.  Docker container ports can usually be remapped.

Currently, the only way is to edit your go file, and start emhttp with a different port.  The go file is at /boot/config/go if you are editing it in a terminal, at \\tower\flash\config\go if you are editing it from Windows (change 'tower' as needed).

Find this line in the go file:

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

And change it to:

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp  -p  ##  &

Where ## is the new port number you want to use to reach your unRAID server webGUI.

Then reboot the server.

Don't forget that you will also need to change the location in your browser!

Example:  set emhttp port to 8080

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p 8080 &

Reboot your unRAID server, then browse to it on the new port

http://tower:8080

What is the default setting for this, as in, untouched? I changed mine to try and install pihole and I didn't set things properly. I removed the image and tried to reset everything but now none of my cockers will connect to their respective webUI. This is especially damaging to my plex server, as it is our only way to watch shows on our firetv.
Any help is deeply appreciated.
- M

Port 80 is the default for http and www traffic.  (https is on port 443)  See here:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?&page=2

If you restore the line in the go file to the default and reboot, everything should be fine from the GUI standpoint.  If you are still having issues with the plugins, you should probably either (1) start a new thread about your problem or (2) post up a message in the support threads for the plugins/dockers involved. 

• trurl pinned this topic