How to mount an external USB drive shared via unmenu

kapperz,

first, forget trying to see ANYTHING in unMENU if you cannot see it under /proc/partitions.   unMENU is simply reading /proc/partitions and showing you the result in a web-page.

apparently, either the USB port you are using is not working (or not enabled) or the flash drive is not recognized by your motherboard.  The fact that the light on the flash drive flashes indicates to me that the light on the flash drive is not defective, but indicates nothing else.

Oh yes, when you do see it under /proc/partitions AND under /dev/disk/by-id, then you can use the "vol_id" on the correct partition.  You used it on /dev/sdi1, apparently one of your data drives.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-ST3500641AS_3PM0DN6R -> ../../sdi

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-ST3500641AS_3PM0DN6R-part1 -> ../../sdi1

Joe L.

Joe,

This most likely is not a unMenu issue. Here is what I observe. I have the unMenu Disk Management page open in Firefox. I plug in the thumb drive and refresh the page. One of two things happen. Either unMenu times out and doesn't want to display unless I execute /boot/unmenu/uu or I see the screen below. I don't want to create a reiserfs because this would erase the data on the thumb drive.

If I refresh the page, the drive is no longer displayed. It is also not displayed with the "ls -l /dev/disk/by-id". I have tried several thumb drives formatted using fat32. I'm using the USB ports on the back of the motherboard. I've checked the BIOS and and enabled anything relating to USB.

I'm baffled why the drive would show up and then disappear. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: This seems to only be happening for my 16Gig Corsair drive. See second image with two other thumb drives working.

Joe,

This most likely is not a unMenu issue. Here is what I observe. I have the unMenu Disk Management page open in Firefox. I plug in the thumb drive and refresh the page. One of two things happen. Either unMenu times out and doesn't want to display unless I execute /boot/unmenu/uu or I see the screen below. I don't want to create a reiserfs because this would erase the data on the thumb drive.

If I refresh the page, the drive is no longer displayed. It is also not displayed with the "ls -l /dev/disk/by-id". I have tried several thumb drives formatted using fat32. I'm using the USB ports on the back of the motherboard. I've checked the BIOS and and enabled anything relating to USB.

I'm baffled why the drive would show up and then disappear. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: This seems to only be happening for my 16Gig Corsair drive. See second image with two other thumb drives working.

It indicates that the linux operating system does not recognize the file system on the 16Gig drive (or it is not there when it goes to look, since the drive seems to be disconnecting itself.)

unMENU can only handle one request at a time.  If you submitted a page request and then press "refresh" while it has not yet returned, it will time-out as you described.  You should never have to re-start it... in fact, the second time you attempt to re-start it by using "uu" will just fail, as it is impossible for two processes to be reading the same port at the same time, and port 8080 is already in use by the first process.

From what you've described, your 16Gig drive is not compatible with that motherboard.  If unMENU had detected any file-system on the flash drive (or rather, since it uses "vol_id" to look for something it recognizes, if "vol_id" showed a file-system, unMENU would not have offered to create a file-system on the drive.  That option is only present if there is no file-system detected.  (You were correct, it would erase your data... do not press the "create file-system" button)

Joe L.