linuxserver.io

unRAID DVB Edition

505 posts in this topic

linuxserver_medium.png

unRAID DVB Edition

W3JubkD.png

In order to use TVHeadEnd or MythTV with PCIe or USB DVB Tuners you need to run a special Unraid build which contains the necessary drivers. 

This replaces the Unraid bzroot and bzimage files (the OS) with newly created ones that have drivers for DVB hardware incorporated.

These are not necessary if you use Homerun or IPTV devices.

Installation

Simply install via Community Applications.  How else?! 

;-)

If you insist on installing manually, then here is the link.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/Unraid-DVB-Plugin/master/plugins/UnraidDVB.plg

Once you have downloaded the necessary build and rebooted if you intend to use the tuners in a docker container then you will need to pass through the tuners to the container.  To do so, toggle the advanced option in the template editing screen and in the Extra Parameters box paste this.

--device=/dev/dvb/

Description

After creating builds since V6 Beta and publishing links manually it was time to create a plugin to make this whole process easier for the end user and we all owe a huge thanks to Squid who wrote the mechanics of this plugin, allowing me to then tweak it and put the final touches on it.  ;D

This plugin will allow you to easily download and install these builds from within the webui of unRAID and revert to stock if desired.  In addition it also modifies the permissions on the DVB tuners so they can be passed through to a docker container (or used with a plugin), provides links to PVR docker container or plugin threads to use with these builds and shows information about the system to help with troubleshooting.

Within the plugin screen you can select one of four unRAID DVB versions, all of the unRAID DVB builds will be compiled with the latest drivers at time of compile.

LibreELEC

Thanks to CvH over at the LibreELEC forums for packaging up the DVB firmware found in LibreELEC and kindly permitting me to incorporate it into unRAID.  This generally should be the first build to try when testing with your tuner.

TBS OpenSource

If you have a TBS card and wish to use it for either DVB-S(2), DVB-T(2) or DVB-C then this is the DVB build to use.  TBS are developing these to be included in the kernel, and the closed source drivers are no longer being developed and do not compile on the latest kernel.

TBS (CrazyCat) DVB-S/T

If you have a TBS card and wish to use it for either DVB-S(2) or DVB-T(2)  then the CrazyCat build has some extra precompiled binaries included.

Digital Devices Github

If you have a Digital Devices card then this build if the one to use. 

Please see the post below for extra steps required.

Stock

This is a stock unRAID version with no DVB drivers installed.  Useful for troubleshooting or if you no longer wish to use your DVB Tuner in unRAID.

New builds will be compiled as they are released and made available as soon as possible.

Edited by linuxserver.io

Digital Devices and ddbridge.conf file implementation.

24/7/16 Updated V6.1.9 Digital Devices Experimental & Github and V6.2 RC2 Digital Devices Github uploaded.  Please download again, make the changes detailed here and reboot.

Thanks to piotrasd for working to find this solution.  :)

So, the Digital Devices drivers (both Experimental and Github varieties) require a config file that may change from user to user.  This has led to some problems for us Unraid users as all the OS files are wrapped up in bzroot and unpacked to RAM on boot.

Initially I just included a default bzroot that worked for most people.  Then it became apparent that some people needed to edit it.....  Possible solutions were.

[*]Write a script to run locally on the users machine to unpack bzroot, allow them to change the ddbridge.conf file and then recompress bzroot.  Problem with this is that it requires a large degree of user input.

[*]Symlink ddbridge.conf to a user accessible location.  This seemed like a perfect solution but although it worked for one user it didn't work for another.  ::)

[*]Produce eight different Digital Devices builds per release to allow for all the different config combinations.  This was never an option, due to the massive increased requirements of both the build process and hosting.

Now we have the solution, and you can all thank piotrasd for this one.  Instead of actually creating ddbridge.conf inside bzroot, we instead pass the desired parameters via the syslinux file on the flash drive.  This removes the need for ddbridge.conf to be included in the bzroot.  This still requires manually editing of a file by the end user, but far less user input than the unpacking bzroot method, and providing nobody has any issues it will be done this way from this point on.  The ddbridge.conf file has, depending on user needs, one or two parameters only.

Here's what ddbridge.conf looks like normally.

################################################################
##      For I2C errors -                                      ##
################################################################

options ddbridge msi=0

#################################################################
##  For Max S8 uncomment the line below and delete the lines  ##
##    above, then change x according to config required      ##
#################################################################

#options ddbridge fmode=x msi=0

##################################################################
##                                                              ##
##  Max S8 Config Modes                                        ##
##  fmode=0                                                    ##
##  4 tuner mode ( Internal multiswitch disabled)              ##
##  fmode=1                                                    ##
##  Quad LNB / normal outputs of multiswitches                  ##
##  fmode=2                                                    ##
##  Quattro - LNB / cascade outputs of multiswitches            ##
##  fmode=3                                                    ##
##  Unicable LNB or JESS / Unicabel output of the multiswitch  ##
##################################################################

msi is the first parameter and needs to be either 0 or 1 (Default was 0 in the old builds)

msi=0
msi=1

and

and for those users with a Max S8 one of these parameters, either 0,1,2 or 3

fmode=0
fmode=1
fmode=2
fmode=3

So open your syslinux.cfg file for editing by going to the Unraid webui and clicking Main, then going to the boot device tab - click flash and then go to the tab marked Syslinux Configuration.

By default it looks like this, (Although the section for Unraid OS GUI Mode will be missing from V6.1.9)

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui

label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode

label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Now to passthrough just msi for both bzroot and bzroot-gui edit the syslinux.cfg and change x to either 0 or 1 depending on your needs.  There are three instances of x be sure to change them all...

(Default was 0 in the old builds)

prompt 0
timeout 50

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot ddbridge.msi=x

label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui ddbridge.msi=x

kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode ddbridge.msi=x

label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

To passthrough both the parameters msi and fmode then same process but change x and y depending on your needs. There are three instances of x and y, be sure to change them all...  Most users will not require this option. 

(Default for x was 0 in the old builds and y was not present)

prompt 0
timeout 50

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot ddbridge.msi=x ddbridge.fmode=y

label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui ddbridge.msi=x ddbridge.fmode=y

kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode ddbridge.msi=x ddbridge.fmode=y

label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

You will need to reboot after making these changes.

24/7/16 Updated V6.1.9 Digital Devices Experimental & Github and V6.2 RC2 Digital Devices Github uploaded.  Please download again, make the changes detailed here and reboot.

Change Log

###2017-02-06a
- V6.3.0  TBS CrazyCat build uploaded.

###2017-02-06
- V6.3.0  TBS DVB-S/T and TBS DVB-C builds uploaded.

###2017-02-04a
- Display fix.

###2017-02-04
- V6.3.0  LibreELEC, TBS OpenSource and Digital Devices Github builds uploaded.

###2017-01-28
- V6.3 RC9  LibreELEC, TBS OpenSource and Digital Devices Github builds uploaded.

###2016-12-07
- V6.3 RC6  LibreELEC, TBS OpenSource and Digital Devices Github builds uploaded.

###2016-11-26
- V6.3 RC5  LibreELEC, TBS OpenSource and Digital Devices Github builds uploaded.

###2016-11-12
- V6.3 RC4  LibreELEC, TBS DVB-S/T, TBS DVB-C, TBS OpenSource and Digital Devices Github builds uploaded.

###2016-11-08
- V6.3 RC2 and RC3  TBS DVB-S/T, TBS DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T builds uploaded.

###2016-11-06c
- V6.2.4 TBS DVB-S/T, TBS DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, TBS OpenSource, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded.

###2016-11-06b
- A few display fixes.

###2016-11-06a
- V6.2.2 and V6.2.3 TBS OpenSource uploaded.

###2016-11-06
- TBS OpenSource build description changed to reflect support for DVB-C and ATSC-C.

###2016-11-04
- V6.3 RC2 and V6.3 RC3 TBS OpenSource builds uploaded.  Support links updated.

###2016-10-23
- V6.2.2, V6.3.0 RC2 and V6.3.0 RC3 LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds and V6.2.2 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, OpenSource TBS DVB-S/T uploaded.

###2016-10-23
- V6.2.2, V6.3.0 RC2 and V6.3.0 RC3 LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds and V6.2.2 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, OpenSource TBS DVB-S/T uploaded.

###2016-10-07
- V6.3.0 RC1 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded.

###2016-10-04
- V6.2.1 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded.  TBS Drivers updated to 20/09/16

###2016-09-15
- V6.2 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded.

###2016-09-05
- V6.2 RC5 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded

###2016-08-18
- V6.2 RC4 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded

###2016-07-27
- V6.2 RC3 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, CrazyCat TBS DVB-S/T, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github (Patched) Builds uploaded

###2016-07-26
- TBS (Open Source) DVB-S(2) and DVB-T(2) V6.2 RC2 build uploaded.

###2016-07-25a
- Updated to support more builds. TBS (CrazyCat) DVB-S(2) and DVB-T(2) V6.2 RC2 build uploaded.

###2016-07-24
- Digital Devices Experimental V6.1.9 and Digital Devices Github V6.19 and V6.2 RC2 builds updated.  Please download these builds again, make the changes described in **<a href="http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47899.msg459092#msg459092" target="_blank">this link</a>** and then reboot.

- Thanks to **<a href="http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=38844" target="_blank">piotrasd</a>** for finding a solution and testing, enabling the Digital Devices build to continue.

###2016-07-22

- Useful links updated with Oscam and WebGrab Plus by saarg, DVBLink by chvb and XMLTV Schedules direct by huxy

###2016-07-13

- V6.2 RC2 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github (Patched) Builds uploaded

###2016-07-10

- V6.2 RC1 Digital Devices Github (patched for syslog filling with shite)

###2016-07-08

- V6.2 RC1 TBS DVB-S/T, DVB-C, LibreELEC, Digital Devices Github Builds uploaded

###2016-07-07

- V6.1.9 and V6.2 Beta 23 TBS builds updated to V160630 drivers.  To install just download again via plugin.

###2016-07-04a

- View which DVB Adapters are present on system.

###2016-07-04

- LibreELEC v6.1.9 and v6.2 Beta 23 builds uploaded.

###2016-06-29

- OpenELEC builds rebranded as LibreELEC to correctly reflect the source of the firmware.  Thanks to CvH over at LibreELEC for his work.

###2016-06-19c

- V6.1.9 and V6.2 Beta 23 TBS DVB-C fixed builds uploaded.

###2016-06-19b

- v6.1.9 and V6.2 Beta 23 Digital Devices Github and TBS DVB-C builds all uploaded.

###2016-06-19a

- Digital Devices Github - Automatically install ddbridge.conf in /boot/config/plugins/UnraidDVB/ to enable end-user editing.

###2016-06-19

- Support for TBS DVB-C drivers

###2016-06-15

- Support for Digital Devices Github drivers.

###2016-06-12

- V6.2 Beta 23 TBS and OpenElec Builds uploaded.  Digital Devices still a pain in my ass, this ddexp build may work. V6 Beta 22 and 23 ddexp uploaded.

###2016-06-10

- V6.2 Beta 22 TBS and OpenElec Builds uploaded.  Digital Devices being a pain, may be a while....

###2016-04-01

- Display and text updates.  Don't worry, I'm not going to be like a 2nd Squid with CA updates three times a day...

###2016-03-28a

- Updated TVHeadEnd Docker link, was pointing to the MythTV Docker thread.  Sorry Saarg 

###2016-03-28

- Updated V6.1.9 and V6.2 Beta 20 to include lirc_zilog module

###2016-03-27a

- Some display tweaks and ability to downgrade.

###2016-03-27

- unRAID V6.2 Beta 20 builds done.

###2016-03-24

- Detect if Unraid V6.2 or later and install appropriate version.

###2016-03-23

- Updates to page and useful links added.

###2016-03-20

- V6.2 Beta 18 and Beta 19 release of Digital Devices Experimental.

###2016-03-19

- Internal release for the V6.2 Beta 19 release. OpenElec and TBS Builds.

###2016-03-12

- Internal release for the V6.2 Beta 18 release.  OpenElec and TBS Builds.

Nice and easy! The OE build was painless to install and works nicely too.

Working here with beta20 and a TBS card. Good job  :D

In case there are someone else with a TBS card and a Supermicro X9 motherboard I experienced some troubles getting the TBS card recognized (6985). It did not show in the device list in unraid.

After a little bit of googling I found the solution to be to set the speed of the PCIe port to GEN1. Some might also have to set the below for tit to work.

Active state power management = ForceLOs

After this I had no problem getting the card to work. Don't really know if it works as I don't have a dish anymore, but it's found by Tvheadend  :)

Here is the link for the above info in case someone wants some more reading.

http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7712#p25154

Hi, I have been using your builds right from the start and am really happy about this plugin.

Would it be possible to add an option that instead of showing a whole list off builds would filter all available builds?

e.g. only showing the OpenElec builds (which I am using anyway) or even offering a "Download latest prefered build" button?

Not that its a huge hassle (compared to doing things manually), but it would smoothen up the process!

Hi, I have been using your builds right from the start and am really happy about this plugin.

Would it be possible to add an option that instead of showing a whole list off builds would filter all available builds?

e.g. only showing the OpenElec builds (which I am using anyway) or even offering a "Download latest prefered build" button?

Not that its a huge hassle (compared to doing things manually), but it would smoothen up the process!

We talked about this when we were developing this plugin.  I'd need to talk to Squid about it but I suspect that it would require a complete restructuring of the way the builds are uploaded to the server and therefore a lot of editing of the backend scripts to create them.  So I'm not sure that it'll be something that will happen in the short term (if at all)

Glad you're finding them useful, it's nice to hear people are using them.  I've been assuming that if they're working then I don't hear anything, so never really got a handle on how many people are using these.  :)

We talked about this when we were developing this plugin.  I'd need to talk to Squid about it but I suspect that it would require a complete restructuring of the way the builds are uploaded to the server and therefore a lot of editing of the backend scripts to create them.  So I'm not sure that it'll be something that will happen in the short term (if at all)

Glad you're finding them useful, it's nice to hear people are using them.  I've been assuming that if they're working then I don't hear anything, so never really got a handle on how many people are using these.  :)

I figured it would be more difficult to handle, and the current state of the plugin is extremely fine by me.

Just advocating ease of use here  ;D ;D ;)

I feel like my Unraid build has really matured over the last months (only started in late 2015) and this plugin is one of the last pieces to what I would call "completion". Thanks for making this possible!

As discussed in a different "mythtv" thread, your build with lirc_zilog works great. I just had to rebuild bzroot with the firmware and changed ownership in the go script.

Thanks for this!

Really? I thought I'd included the firmware in the last build. I've updated them on the 28th March, both version 6.1.9 and 6.2 Beta 20.

Amazing what you can do with a VPN, JuiceSSH and ES Explorer on Android whilst you're on holiday.

V6.2 Beta 21 DVB builds uploaded.

Amazing what you can do with a VPN, JuiceSSH and ES Explorer on Android whilst you're on holiday.

V6.2 Beta 21 DVB builds uploaded.

Off you go to enjoy your holiday now  :)

Tbs build works as far as seeing the card. Tested it this morning.

Only got it done because a cockerel woke me up at 04:00 this morning....

openelec beta21 confirmed working  8)

thanks for wasting your time on us desperate early adopters (/updaters)

Only got it done because a cockerel woke me up at 04:00 this morning....

You just got to love the nature man  ;D

pretty interesting stuff  ;)

i'm planing to buy a TBS-6205 (DVB-C Quad-Tuner) card when i finished the cabling stuff. anyway, i run unRAID via Proxmox hypervisor and have passed through 2 pci(e) HBA cards already – so passthrough works. now the interesting question:

1. passing through the TBS card to unRAID and then running a TVHeadend docker would probably need a passthrough of the PCI(e) card to the docker-solution itself, right? but that probably won't work – so i could/need to run a TVHeadend-LXC container on Proxmox.

2. or could a TVHeadend-docker (inside unRAID) access the drivers and the card directly?

thx. anyway for providind such great stuff to the community.

You only need to pass the card to unraid and then the tvheadend docker will be able to use the tuner. No need to pass it through to the container also. If you use my container, just choose the one labeled tuners and you're ready to roll.

I've never used Proxmox so not sure exactly how it works but when I use this plugin to update my Unraid VM (In KVM using Unraid as a host) The download location of /boot doesn't correspond to the VHD where the files must reside, necessitating a manual copy to the correct location. 

Shouldn't affect what saarg says above in the slightest but worth bearing in mind.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I've never used Proxmox so not sure exactly how it works but when I use this plugin to update my Unraid VM (In KVM using Unraid as a host) The download location of /boot doesn't correspond to the VHD where the files must reside, necessitating a manual copy to the correct location. 

know what you mean  :D  thx. for hint, but it doesn't apply here. i've got plopkexec as initial VM-boot device, which then switches to the usb-stick and boots unRAID from. so all functions, which affect the unRAID install, will be executed as without a hypervisior in between (unRAID updates, plug-in installations, etc.).

drawback of a hypervisor before unRAID is: you can't use KVM inside the unRAID-VM (that would be a nested KVM). docker like PLEX no problem, running here pretty damn good.

know what you mean  :D  thx. for hint, but it doesn't apply here. i've got plopkexec as initial VM-boot device, which then switches to the usb-stick and boots unRAID from. so all functions, which affect the unRAID install, will be executed as without a hypervisior in between (unRAID updates, plug-in installations, etc.).

drawback of a hypervisor before unRAID is: you can't use KVM inside the unRAID-VM (that would be a nested KVM). docker like PLEX no problem, running here pretty damn good.

Sounds interesting.  I might have a go at trying that sometime.  Any good resources you can recommend?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting.  I might have a go at trying that sometime.  Any good resources you can recommend?

well, not really a one point ressource available – all knowledge built up by research, trail & error  :)

there's quite much infos on there (Proxmox) forums, the next version 4.2 (my guess) will be out soon.

but when you're up to try, msg me and i'll help were i can.  ;)

Thanks for developing this version, setting up with TBS 6922 was seamless even for a complete satellite newbie.

I've since added an August dvb-t205 to my server with the hopes of using dvb-s2 and dvb-t in the same tvheadend instance.

Is this possible given the closed source TBS drivers and the necessary modifications to kernel?

Thanks for developing this version, setting up with TBS 6922 was seamless even for a complete satellite newbie.

I've since added an August dvb-t205 to my server with the hopes of using dvb-s2 and dvb-t in the same tvheadend instance.

Is this possible given the closed source TBS drivers and the necessary modifications to kernel?

Honestly, I'm not sure.  If it's possible in Linux then it's possible in Unraid which may give you some avenue to research.  TBS I've found are very helpful when you email them directly, their forums are less active tbh.  You say you've already added the extra tuner, so does it work or not? That's really what you need to know.