[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

Hi Binhex,  I've started using Privoxy in my browser. Works great. Except for some odd reason it blocks the banner in unRaid. Everything else local works, but the banner for some odd reason is being blocked. If I turn off the proxy it comes back. Obviously not a huge issue, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Edit: Eh, it was a simple fix. I just added my unRaid machine in the section to not use the proxy.

Edited by Kewjoe
Figured it out.
2 hours ago, surfshack66 said:

Hey - I'm getting this error but I don't recall changing any of the ports

Docker Application binhex-rtorrentvpn, Container Port 3000 not found or changed on installed application

Capture.JPG

Thats to do with the alternative web ui called flood, that runs on port 3000, do you have enable_flood set to yes? if so set to no if you dont want to use it, or just add an additional port mapping for port 3000

binhex,

I am seeing a problem where my vpn external ip address is not being set.  When I look at the command that starts rtorrent, -o ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is showing my public ip address instead of my vpn external ip.  I did some further checking and the vpn_external_ip.txt file has my public ip in it.  If I manually run /root/getvpnextip.sh it will change it to my external vpn ip address and then I have to kill rtorrent and allow the scrip to restart it so it will start with the correct ip address.  I tried looking at your scripts but I'm not able to see what may cause this.  I am using AirVPN as my provider.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thank you for maintaining such a great Docker container!

3 hours ago, theimmortal said:

binhex,

I am seeing a problem where my vpn external ip address is not being set.  When I look at the command that starts rtorrent, -o ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is showing my public ip address instead of my vpn external ip.  I did some further checking and the vpn_external_ip.txt file has my public ip in it.  If I manually run /root/getvpnextip.sh it will change it to my external vpn ip address and then I have to kill rtorrent and allow the scrip to restart it so it will start with the correct ip address.  I tried looking at your scripts but I'm not able to see what may cause this.  I am using AirVPN as my provider.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thank you for maintaining such a great Docker container!

i will take a look into this and see if i can reproduce it (not seen this yet myself).

On 31/07/2017 at 5:20 PM, theimmortal said:

binhex,

ok so i couldn't reproduce this happening on my local system, however i have added in additional checks to ensure the vpn is fully up before the external ip detection kicks in, this should help prevent this from happening, so pull down the image and let me know how you get on.

@binhex On your github docker page for this docker it shows the following for openvpn config.

Stop rtorrentvpn docker and copy the saved ovpn file to the /config/openvpn/ folder on the host

But the path is simply /openvpn. On my system it shows it as /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn

It seems to be working though as far as VPN and port forwarding goes, I'll test integration with other apps soon.

Edited by Tuftuf
1 hour ago, Tuftuf said:

@binhex On your github docker page for this docker it shows the following for openvpn config.

Stop rtorrentvpn docker and copy the saved ovpn file to the /config/openvpn/ folder on the host

But the path is simply /openvpn. On my system it shows it as /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn

It seems to be working though as far as VPN and port forwarding goes, I'll test integration with other apps soon.

those instructions assume you are using the correct volume mappings, which by the look of it you aren't, the docker run example on github shows the volume mappings:-

docker run -d \
    --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
    -p 9080:9080 \
    -p 9443:9443 \
    -p 8118:8118 \
    -p 3000:3000 \
    --name=<container name> \
    -v <path for data files>:/data \
    -v <path for config files>:/config \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \

so you should have a volume mapping for /data and a volume mapping for /config

edit - keep in mind the path on the host side can be anything you want but you MUST use the correct volume names on the container side, as in 'config' and 'data'

Edited by binhex

I understand where the difference is now.

I was looking for a /config folder within bixhex-rtorrentvpn instead of making the connection in my head that /config actually means /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn

I did use the default mapping of /config but I was looking to access the folder via the unraid system to just copy the ovpn file, and that path is, of course, the path I set to be linked to /config within the container.

Edited by Tuftuf
23 hours ago, binhex said:

ok so i couldn't reproduce this happening on my local system, however i have added in additional checks to ensure the vpn is fully up before the external ip detection kicks in, this should help prevent this from happening, so pull down the image and let me know how you get on.

I updated and the problem persists.  I still have to change the IP in the external_vpn_ip.txt file and kill rtorrent to get it to take effect.  I don't know if this is related to anything that was changed, but I can no longer run the /root/getvpnextip.sh script.  It just sits and never seems to complete (tried multiple times and waited up to 5 minutes).  Also, flood is not starting with the docker container.  I have to execute the flood.sh script manually to start it.  Are there any logs I can supply that can help identify where the problems are?

39 minutes ago, theimmortal said:

I don't know if this is related to anything that was changed, but I can no longer run the /root/getvpnextip.sh script.

i have put additional checks in this script so that it wll only update the external ip txt file once the vpn is running, if this is not now runnign then it implies that you do not have a functioning tunnel.

edit - strike that, if your using docker exec to run the script then the env will be different and thus you will be missing certain env vars, this is why you cant execute it manually.

leave this with me, maybe i can force the tool i use to run on a particular interface to 100% guarantee this.

follow the steps here for help if you want to post your log:-

Edited by binhex

I updated and the problem persists.  I still have to change the IP in the external_vpn_ip.txt file and kill rtorrent to get it to take effect.  I don't know if this is related to anything that was changed, but I can no longer run the /root/getvpnextip.sh script.  It just sits and never seems to complete (tried multiple times and waited up to 5 minutes).  Also, flood is not starting with the docker container.  I have to execute the flood.sh script manually to start it.  Are there any logs I can supply that can help identify where the problems are?
Ok I've now tied dig to the VPN tunnel IP so it has to use this, pull down the latest image just built and give it a whirl

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
On 6/7/2017 at 8:40 AM, Hansel said:

Hi all,

I have this up and running in Docker in Ubuntu.  Everything seems fine, the VPN is working, Flood is working if I enable that and rutorrent is working otherwise.   If I have rutorrent enabled on 9080 I can add it as a Download Client in Sonarr and all is fine.

However, I really want to use Flood and I'm not sure how to get Sonarr/Radarr to connect in that case... just hoping someone can help me out?

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten this to work? I would really like to use Flood with Sonarr and Radarr

22 hours ago, binhex said:

Ok I've now tied dig to the VPN tunnel IP so it has to use this, pull down the latest image just built and give it a whirl

I had the same problem with my real lP address appearing in rutorrent, but after the latest update it's fixed. I'm using AirVPN as well. 

Thanks Binhex :-)

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I have tried this docker a few times before.

One of the main reasons I haven't used it exclusively is that I continually get THE REQUEST TO RTORRENT HAS TIMED OUT message. The docker just gets real sluggish while I'm getting this message and it's almost unusable.

Any one knows what causes this message? And what I can do to fix it if anything.

I'm currently using the Delugevpn docker with no issues.

I would really like to use this docker instead as I prefer it's layout and options over Delugevpn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hi,

I'm really struggling to get this rtorrentvpn docker to work. 

Here's what I've tried:

1. installed normally - set to pia and included username password - there's no obvious entry required for port VPN_PORT on the config page so left that alone. - Launched - get this error: 2017-08-05 13:12:29.378329 [crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/ (no files with an ovpn extension exist), please create and then restart this container, exiting...

2. Used wget to add the desired ovpn (us-seattle.ovpn) file directly to /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn/

3. Checked permissions - seem fine nobody:users owner.

4. Relaunch - now i get this error: 2017-08-05 13:18:36.295839 [info] VPN config file (ovpn extension) is located at /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn
dos2unix: converting file /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn to Unix format...
2017-08-05 13:18:36.354217 [info] VPN remote line defined as 'us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1198 udp'
2017-08-05 13:18:36.409652 [info] VPN_REMOTE defined as 'us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com'
2017-08-05 13:18:36.465773 [crit] VPN_PORT not found in /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn, exiting...

5. Removed the .ovpn file and instead using 'add variable' in unraid docker editing - manually added variables for VPN_PORT, VPN_REMOTE, VPN_PROTOCOL using ones found in the ovpn file - now getting: 2017-08-05 13:25:28.115021 [crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/ (no files with an ovpn extension exist), please create and then restart this container, exiting...

6. Turned off VPN in docker settings - relaunch - works fine.

7. Turn on VPN and keep getting the two types of errors shown above - either [crit] VPN_PORT not found in /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn if the file is present OR 

[crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/ (no files with an ovpn extension exist), please create and then restart this container, exiting... when the file is not present

8. tried removing the manually set variables, deleting container and starting anew - same results. 

9. also tried adding line reading port 1198 to the us-seattle.opvn file

I have really searched through the forum and totally can't find anything specifically related to this.

Any tips would be appreciated.

---- UPDATE SOLVED ----

Corrected this by editing the us-seattle.opvn file.

It needs to look like this:

client

dev tun

proto udp

remote us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1198

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

setenv CLIENT_CERT 0 

[...]

used to look like this:

client

dev tun

remote us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1198 udp

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

setenv CLIENT_CERT 0 

This has corrected the issue. Not sure why the pia files were written differently, but this issue is now corrected.

Launch and log .rtf

Edited by Delarius
Solved the issue.
  • Upvote 1
On 8/3/2017 at 9:31 PM, binhex said:

I pulled the latest image and it is working now with the correct IP.  Thank you!

• Upvote 1
On 05/08/2017 at 6:49 PM, stinger303 said:

Hello,

I have tried this docker a few times before.

One of the main reasons I haven't used it exclusively is that I continually get THE REQUEST TO RTORRENT HAS TIMED OUT message. The docker just gets real sluggish while I'm getting this message and it's almost unusable.

Any one knows what causes this message? And what I can do to fix it if anything.

I'm currently using the Delugevpn docker with no issues.

I would really like to use this docker instead as I prefer it's layout and options over Delugevpn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

There were some instability issues with this docker in the early days (several months ago now) however its now rock solid, have you tried the latest image?, if this is doing the same thing then please follow the steps below:-

On 05/08/2017 at 9:58 PM, Delarius said:

Hi,

I'm really struggling to get this rtorrentvpn docker to work. 

Here's what I've tried:

1. installed normally - set to pia and included username password - there's no obvious entry required for port VPN_PORT on the config page so left that alone. - Launched - get this error: 2017-08-05 13:12:29.378329 [crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/ (no files with an ovpn extension exist), please create and then restart this container, exiting...

2. Used wget to add the desired ovpn (us-seattle.ovpn) file directly to /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn/

3. Checked permissions - seem fine nobody:users owner.

4. Relaunch - now i get this error: 2017-08-05 13:18:36.295839 [info] VPN config file (ovpn extension) is located at /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn
dos2unix: converting file /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn to Unix format...
2017-08-05 13:18:36.354217 [info] VPN remote line defined as 'us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1198 udp'
2017-08-05 13:18:36.409652 [info] VPN_REMOTE defined as 'us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com'
2017-08-05 13:18:36.465773 [crit] VPN_PORT not found in /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn, exiting...

5. Removed the .ovpn file and instead using 'add variable' in unraid docker editing - manually added variables for VPN_PORT, VPN_REMOTE, VPN_PROTOCOL using ones found in the ovpn file - now getting: 2017-08-05 13:25:28.115021 [crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/ (no files with an ovpn extension exist), please create and then restart this container, exiting...

6. Turned off VPN in docker settings - relaunch - works fine.

7. Turn on VPN and keep getting the two types of errors shown above - either [crit] VPN_PORT not found in /config/openvpn/us-seattle.ovpn if the file is present OR 

[crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/ (no files with an ovpn extension exist), please create and then restart this container, exiting... when the file is not present

8. tried removing the manually set variables, deleting container and starting anew - same results. 

9. also tried adding line reading port 1198 to the us-seattle.opvn file

I have really searched through the forum and totally can't find anything specifically related to this.

Any tips would be appreciated.

---- UPDATE SOLVED ----

Corrected this by editing the us-seattle.opvn file.

It needs to look like this:

client

dev tun

proto udp

remote us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1198

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

setenv CLIENT_CERT 0 

[...]

used to look like this:

client

dev tun

remote us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1198 udp

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

setenv CLIENT_CERT 0 

This has corrected the issue. Not sure why the pia files were written differently, but this issue is now corrected.

Launch and log .rtf

ahh i see the problem, for some reason this particular ovpn file has the protocol at the end of the remote line, i will need to add in some logic to catch this if a "proto" line isnt present, just to confirm, you're now connected succesfully right?.

I am connected successfully.

I do have a few questions though. I've figured out how to add new users - didn't see this documented anywhere obvious so for others:

echo -ne "newusername:" >> /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/nginx/security/auth

sh -c "openssl passwd -apr1" >> /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/nginx/security/auth

This should prompt for a password and add it to the auth file - allowing newusername to login to nginx - bear in mind your path may differ.

My question is about some logged warnings, perhaps they are worth reconciling?

1. Mon Aug 7 07:56:05 2017 WARNING: file 'credentials.conf' is group or others accessible - This appears to be correctable by: 

chmod 700 /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn/credentials.conf but this doesn't quite work because this file is written at startup. 

2. WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1558', remote='link-mtu 1542' - Does this matter? Typically I'd expect to see the same MTU number on both - any reason this can't be set to the same?

Otherwise, apart from what appears to be a quirk about retaining settings, this is working great.

Thank you for a great docker.

8 minutes ago, Delarius said:

I've figured out how to add new users - didn't see this documented anywhere obvious so for others:

ive already thought of that, its built into the container, see here the notes section:- https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn

12 minutes ago, Delarius said:

Mon Aug 7 07:56:05 2017 WARNING: file 'credentials.conf' is group or others accessible - This appears to be correctable by: 

chmod 700 /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-rtorrentvpn/openvpn/credentials.conf but this doesn't quite work because this file is written at startup. 

yeah i should really fix this, but its been low on my priority list, as the container is in essence a single user instance and therefore it being accessible by other users is of little/no concern.

11 minutes ago, Delarius said:

WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1558', remote='link-mtu 1542' - Does this matter? Typically I'd expect to see the same MTU number on both - any reason this can't be set to the same?

ideally yes they should be the same, this is unfortunately impossible to know what the remote mtu is until the tunnel is established, but feel free to tweak the mtu setting in your ovpn file to match.

12 minutes ago, Delarius said:

apart from what appears to be a quirk about retaining settings,

that quirk is a known limitation of rutorrent, its in the faq:-

Hey.

For some reason whenever I download the container, the openVPN config file doesnt download or something like that. I downloaded a PIA .ovpn config file to see if that worked but it didn't.

I now get the following error in the logs:

2017-08-08 17:25:57,134 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Starting OpenVPN...

2017-08-08 17:25:57,149 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.rsa.2048.crt': No such file or directory
Options error: --crl-verify fails with 'crl.rsa.2048.pem': No such file or directory
Tue Aug 8 17:25:57 2017 WARNING: file 'credentials.conf' is group or others accessible
Options error: Please correct these errors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• binhex locked this topic