[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

This support thread and the Docker image arch-rtorrentvpn has now been deprecated, no support or further images will be produced.

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-rtorrentvpn in the binhex repo.

Application: rTorrent - https://github.com/rakshasa/rtorrent

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn

Documentationhttps://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer  :D

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

• Like 1

Having issues connecting to the web ui of Deluge and use PIA?, if so make its not the changes regards port forwarding, see Q10 (and Q11 if you want to switch endpoint):-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

If the above is not related to your issue then please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Edited by binhex
  • Like 2

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

As from 15th of January 2020, if the web ui and/or rpc2 password have not been defined (defined via environment variables) then the password(s) will be randomised and no longer set to 'rutorrent'.

Please see link below to the rtorrent FAQ, Q3. and Q4. for more details:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/rtorrentvpn.md

Edited by binhex

Any reason to choose one or the other between this and Deluge?

Built in RSS feed support, in my experience so far it seems to be faster, around 20 to 30% faster than deluge, lots of plugins available, and IMHO a better looking ui (check out the awesome oblivion theme!), oh and it's more lightweight on resources.

I installed this and first off I needed to stop my deluge docker to get this to work. I assume it has something to do with the VPN. I have 2 separate PIA accounts so I didnt think I'd have an issue connecting both. But apparently so. And when I start up the docker it immediately asks for a username and pw?

Built in RSS feed support, in my experience so far it seems to be faster, around 20 to 30% faster than deluge, lots of plugins available, and IMHO a better looking ui, oh and it's more lightweight on resources.

Does it include the wonderful proxy feature?

I installed this and first off I needed to stop my deluge docker to get this to work. I assume it has something to do with the VPN. I have 2 separate PIA accounts so I didnt think I'd have an issue connecting both. But apparently so. And when I start up the docker it immediately asks for a username and pw?

username and password are documented on docker hub, it's username admin password rutorrent. As for running in parallel with deluge, you deg can do this the thing that probably tripped you up was privoxy, as both docker containers use the same port and thus the conflict, just disable privoxy on one of these and you should be good.

Built in RSS feed support, in my experience so far it seems to be faster, around 20 to 30% faster than deluge, lots of plugins available, and IMHO a better looking ui, oh and it's more lightweight on resources.

Does it include the wonderful proxy feature?

errr, wonderful proxy feature?, you mean privoxy or built in proxy support in rtorrent?.

just testing this out and my speeds are ALOT better than with deluge. I think I found my new torrent client. Thanks alot for this.

Yeah it's a hard one to say definitely it's xx percent faster then deluge as it of course depends on which peers your connected to but I'm pretty confident it's faster than deluge.

It was a compete SOB to setup though I can tell you! a lot of moving parts.

Well thank you again for this.

Now.... to get it set up with couchpotato and sonarr and my file system!

I tried briefly yesterday with couchpotato just to get the connection between the 2. i used the login details for rutorrent user:admin pw:rutorrent but it doesnt seem to connect. I tried the connections port from rutorrent options as well as the 80 suggested in CP but neither seemed to work.

Well thank you again for this.

Now.... to get it set up with couchpotato and sonarr and my file system!

I tried briefly yesterday with couchpotato just to get the connection between the 2. i used the login details for rutorrent user:admin pw:rutorrent but it doesnt seem to connect. I tried the connections port from rutorrent options as well as the 80 suggested in CP but neither seemed to work.

ok been playing with this and got cp working, so you need to do the following:-

1. edit rtorrent.rc (should be in the /config path) and change scgi_port = 127.0.0.1:5000 to scgi_port = 0.0.0.0:5000 and save.

2. update to the latest image, yes ive tweaked it

3. edit your docker config and change port 8112 to 5000 for host and container and save

4. go to cp and set for rtorrent downloader for "Host" scgi://<ip of your server>:5000 and click test, worked for me :-)

not played with sonarr, but i guess this should work as well now, let me know how you get on.

for anybody else following this and just starting off, you shouldnt need to do any of the tweaks above, just specify the scgi in cp, as the tweaks are now incorporated.

• Like 1

Having trouble starting the container properly

[info] All checks complete, starting rTorrent...

2016-03-29 18:07:39,717 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
Script started, file is typescript

2016-03-29 18:07:39,718 DEBG fd 9 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 140032628953240 for <Subprocess at 140032628955832 with name rtorrent-script in state RUNNING> (stdout)>
2016-03-29 18:07:39,718 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stderr output:
script: cannot open typescript: Permission denied

2016-03-29 18:07:39,718 DEBG fd 16 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 140032629021944 for <Subprocess at 140032628955832 with name rtorrent-script in state RUNNING> (stderr)>
2016-03-29 18:07:39,719 INFO exited: rtorrent-script (terminated by SIGTERM; not expected)
2016-03-29 18:07:39,719 DEBG received SIGCLD indicating a child quit
2016-03-29 18:07:40,721 INFO spawned: 'rtorrent-script' with pid 13712
2016-03-29 18:07:40,732 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] rTorrent config file already exists, skipping copy

2016-03-29 18:07:40,734 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] Removing any rtorrent session lock files left over from the previous run...

Is there any ports I should forward for this btw? I'm trying to at least get this running properly with CP but it doesnt seem to add the torrents for download even though CP says it found a link? When using Deluge it would always queue the torrent if CP found a link. Deluge has just become painfully slow for me.

Does PIA port forwarding work? I don't mind changing the port in ruTorrent when PIA changes it as long as iptables doesn't have to be reconfigured.

Yes, and it's automatic, you don't need to do anything.

Automatic??? Does this docker use the custom PIA script to check for open ports then?

Looks like it, when I get this working it will replace my weird pfsense setup. This is from the log during startup:

[info] VPN incoming port 26421

binhex, if it makes any difference, I'm testing this on OMV and a 6.2 vm running on ESX.

Does PIA port forwarding work? I don't mind changing the port in ruTorrent when PIA changes it as long as iptables doesn't have to be reconfigured.

Yes, and it's automatic, you don't need to do anything.

Automatic??? Does this docker use the custom PIA script to check for open ports then?

no, i use netcat and a small bit of code to do the continuous checking of the port to make sure its still open, if its not open then i re-run the code to find the port and reconfigure rtorrent with the new port. This works a treat and i have yet to see a closed incoming port, if you see dfifferent and your using pia then let me know.

What happens if the VPN goes down or gets dropped, I am guessing the docker will shutdown all traffic from leaving/coming in? Is there a way for us to test that scenario?

all taken care of :-), openvpn is very good at doing the auto restart for you and will monitor the link and reconnect if the tunnel drops, as far as ip leakage goes, the ip table entries i have created are tight as a ducks ass :-), if you want to do some testing then you can always docker exec inside the container, install something like tcpdump and monitor traffic, then crank up something like wireshark and trawl the packets, you can simulate the tunnel being down by killing the openvpn pid. ive done just this and i didnt see any leakage at all, please feel free to take a look though, the more eyes on my code the better!.

• binhex locked this topic