Time to play some Xbox One on UnRaid!

De1taE1even

Full disclosure, I'm not actually playing Xbox One on my unRaid machine, YET.  I don't have a video card to pass through to my Windows 10 VM right now, so I'll have to buy one and get that going first.  However, as a proof of concept, I did just play for a few minutes with this config:

Xbox1 -> Stream to Win10 VM -> RDP to Mac Mini

Obviously the gaming experience of Xbox One streaming to a Windows VM connected to a Mac Mini over RDP isn't going to be ideal, but as a proof of concept, I wanted to do it anyways.  I play Magic Origins: Duels on occasion, and it's just a card game, so FPS isn't much of a concern.  It still looked and played great!  Just for fun, I did play Call Of Duty Black Ops III briefly.  Not something I'd recommend!  :)

F6MvJceUmfJN00sd1G0xg21RsfRFGyGkJ8Nc9A7gmUwBgReKeznAt-o0RUpuFVvkc3dHTfWvaPdqAHKHUXGf7FdpKfANvTxheSlAZ55924cpawb8nag4wY-KqAnVBQND9ryF9PE0dRYdxLRem3g2ULjWtfvWCiRC-Wf5y5VUTcuwVoCdFn-u36mt7R1PszYF7WVOauBAnfFVeFSRhoFJl40Re9guXGdh9msg89ZPcPEgZfeX43dmelF4ZA_6rtkIsYeLn8PtDYgzgB3bavxxKi_SNuyFA6pFDwKNM2-QlRDej7DbdjJPGc8rd-Sr9k18xfNep1Jr6gfwbgqq4XirkodLmhTb3Vcb6ls4AyqdlNeumRhkgFiH1LdTfol3FgtN-QBqj1mu4IgeFWj5Bd6ZDtj49XXrQ8Lf-Fa_2BSYv15Eb5Nk2eX4Zn0RuJzdfcA3BP1rjzIJMsCxdwWN5qsnee8icxGE0m__nXQlBb6Jcnq0njiokS8TQmPEyLr8Q_tBWMnkEdSA-XEnE68alPcXie7vGcMxHuKUCrdG9dCBEn7hn_kAFE1eYFe7WsSXwUiccvyKoA=w1278-h719-no

OzNCqJWQEYaRHWE4HyMz3tCZXsLypR8NMHVYvkKoGjFCkH3_dHdHxONW7v8OoYfY4mhC3in0oM9p-DEoz4wAcwTI0E56zY4633o5UQU1HJLfXCCdTbqTvwLN5I8UUL6BguGQAbAoiE3cwi1cM8HIfcuWpN_RewjBGQHtaJT1Yvj3vLhiHX-v_kTEneiXN9pWQNxoy5YbG91jj12KGL4x59plAgNPYXcp2rD2z5lhNBIIzLK6BPQMQfOpt3uzGZjBk5DuXTArIcZKGJK8fXq3xP8XaDVuWMCpN2xbxjiLiFLdoIDFNSemWspG78VWV5_RNE8awCtgPdTwcD6LAjr4H8eXuyxGu69Kxm0Qoe9wxSWSgonmhZmVdQ4WR47qtavR8vx5gG6pHlcp1IpYHSaYSmdiPLacafWTAykMnmzQ285bUE_9aPvJBqMXlZCN5TXc94U-VgTrevo_jApWq49Nj_jsETJhhKmYamgVL85m_dBFk-gQKIzyI81gyhNKj8k_VmcP6WCATRBwh-DBQPYt4KK9-0aMhgUvLBnfoIZwVES9eHZW03V7sKE9YQAvjSUPcW_xow=w1278-h719-no

Have you thought about hdmi over Ethernet (if the monitor / tv is far away) or putting the unRAID box near the destination display if it can be placed there.

Alternatively there is (if you're willing to switch from Xbox gaming) there is steam link or nvidia streaming (gaming) solutions which will allow you to harness your VM (with GPU pass through) across your LAN.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/

https://shield.nvidia.com/game-stream

As you will see from those links both solutions seem to allow you to use their os's to utilise a small device as the streaming destination OR you can buy their dedicated h/w to be the streaming device. Both utilising your unRAID and GPU power.

Food for thought.

Have you thought about hdmi over Ethernet (if the monitor / tv is far away) or putting the unRAID box near the destination display if it can be placed there.

Alternatively there is (if you're willing to switch from Xbox gaming) there is steam link or nvidia streaming (gaming) solutions which will allow you to harness your VM (with GPU pass through) across your LAN.

As you will see from those links both solutions seem to allow you to use their os's to utilise a small device as the streaming destination OR you can buy their dedicated h/w to be the streaming device. Both utilising your unRAID and GPU power.

Food for thought.

With regard to Xbox1 gaming on unRaid, that was just me playing around with the new VM and seeing what I could do with it.  Basically just a proof of concept.  However, SteamLink looks really cool, I'll have to look more into that.  The only disappointing thing about that is that you have to buy their SteamLink box for every room you game in.  I already have FireTv's in 2 rooms and a Nexus Player in another.  All of which probably have similar hardware compared to the SteamLink.  Too bad there isn't an Android app I could install that would utilize my current boxes to take advantage of SteamOS!

Food for thought.

With regard to Xbox1 gaming on unRaid, that was just me playing around with the new VM and seeing what I could do with it.  Basically just a proof of concept.  However, SteamLink looks really cool, I'll have to look more into that.  The only disappointing thing about that is that you have to buy their SteamLink box for every room you game in.  I already have FireTv's in 2 rooms and a Nexus Player in another.  All of which probably have similar hardware compared to the SteamLink.  Too bad there isn't an Android app I could install that would utilize my current boxes to take advantage of SteamOS!

Re your steam link comment, that is not correct. It might have not been clear in my post but that is why I linked to SteamOS:

To paraphrase what they put on their website, SteamOS is a public release of Steam's Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8, code named Debian Jessie. This is the OS they put on all the devices that they sell.

They openly say that they expect most SteamOS users to get SteamOS preinstalled on a Steam Machine (as you note). Although they have made SteamOS freely available for anybody to install and run. I have dual-bitted an Intel NUC...

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/nuc-kit-dn2820fykh.html

... with SteamOS and Openelec making that little custom piece of low powered hardware a powerful gaming machine (Harnessing my Windows 10 VM w/GPU Passthrough from my Main unRAID Server via SteamOS's LAN Streaming WITH a wireless Xbox360 Controller attached) and a Media Player in my living room (selectable at boot time).

They state that the installation experience is not intended for a non-technical user, however IMHO if you are comfortable installing unRAID you are MORE than capable of installing Steam OS.

Of course you CAN buy their Steam Link which is VERY cheap, BUT if like me you have a device to use (like the NUC) and / or you want to extend what you want to do with such a device then you don't have to buy one!

8):)

Re your steam link comment, that is not correct. It might have not been clear in my post but that is why I linked to SteamOS:

To paraphrase what they put on their website, SteamOS is a public release of Steam's Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8, code named Debian Jessie. This is the OS they put on all the devices that they sell.

They openly say that they expect most SteamOS users to get SteamOS preinstalled on a Steam Machine (as you note). Although they have made SteamOS freely available for anybody to install and run. I have dual-bitted an Intel NUC...

... with SteamOS and Openelec making that little custom piece of low powered hardware a powerful gaming machine (Harnessing my Windows 10 VM w/GPU Passthrough from my Main unRAID Server via SteamOS's LAN Streaming WITH a wireless Xbox360 Controller attached) and a Media Player in my living room (selectable at boot time).

They state that the installation experience is not intended for a non-technical user, however IMHO if you are comfortable installing unRAID you are MORE than capable of installing Steam OS.

Of course you CAN buy their Steam Link which is VERY cheap, BUT if like me you have a device to use (like the NUC) and / or you want to extend what you want to do with such a device then you don't have to buy one!

Sorry, I don't think we're on the same page.  I understand that I can create a VM and install SteamOS.  If I choose to forward a video card to that VM, then voila, I have SteamOS on unRaid, which is awesome.  Still though, for gaming in other rooms, you still have to have a box running Steam's client software, correct?  I have FireTv's/Nexus Players in my other rooms.  My point was that it'd be nice if I could somehow install Steam's client software on those boxes so that I could game in other rooms, using SteamOS.  Since I don't think that's possible, I'd have to buy some other client machine that could run the client software, such as a SteamLink, a NUC, a SteamBox, etc.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding.  Thanks!

Sorry, I don't think we're on the same page.  I understand that I can create a VM and install SteamOS.  If I choose to forward a video card to that VM, then voila, I have SteamOS on unRaid, which is awesome.  Still though, for gaming in other rooms, you still have to have a box running Steam's client software, correct?  I have FireTv's/Nexus Players in my other rooms.  My point was that it'd be nice if I could somehow install Steam's client software on those boxes so that I could game in other rooms, using SteamOS.  Since I don't think that's possible, I'd have to buy some other client machine that could run the client software, such as a SteamLink, a NUC, a SteamBox, etc.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding.  Thanks!

I have read and re-rad my post and I don't see where there is confusion BUT You ARE misunderstanding me. BUT not to worry, we will get there, if I have not been clear I am Sorry. Ill try and go through this more slowly. Please note - I am writing in unRAID's Forum SO this solution is tailored for utilising unRAID and NOT BareMetal (Which can also be done easily).

I was referring to installing SteamOS on the NUC NOT in a VM in unRAID. SteamOS is not exclusive in any way to unRAID or for VM installation. As the links I posted above tell you, SteamOS is nothing but a Linux Debian build customised to run Steam and rebadged SteamOS. It was DESIGNED for installation on PC's such as a small low powered box such as an NUC.

SteamOS has a Steam CLIENT pre-installed. This means you CAN just TRY and play games on the NUC by opening the SteamOS CLIENT, logging onto your Steam Account and Playing. The problem of course with an NUC is that it has poor CPU and Graphics capabilities.

Thats where the VM Setup comes in. If you install Windows OR SteamOS in a VM on unRAID Server AND Passthrough a GPU to that VM you now potentially have a POWERFUL Steam CLIENT on unRAID Server too (which of course you log into as you just did on the NUC).

Assuming they are both on the Network the SteamOS client on the NUC will find the SteamOS / Windows Client running within unRAID VM and ask you if you want to stream. Voila. Done. Playing games on your NUC (Wirelessly) over your network.

A couple of Notes.

This will work with Installing Windows on the NUC as well OR SteamOS within a VM on Windows OR Both on Windows. The advantages of installing SteamOS in both a VM within unRAID AND on the NUC is that in that setup it is FREE. HOWEVER there ARE some drawbacks ....

The limiting factor as to what you can stream to the NUC (whether the NUC have Windows OR STeamOS on it) is what is installed on the unRAID VM. At the time of writing the game library available in SteamOS is not as close to as big as the library within Windows. In addition the GPU drivers for SteamOS are not as great as those available in Windows.

For me therefore the best setup (in steps) is this:

- Install Windows 10 in an unRAID VM. Passthrough a Powerful GPU to that VM. Install the Windows Steam Client on that VM. Log into that Client.

- Install SteamOS on an NUC (or similar low powered device). Connect a Wireless Xbox360 Controller. Configure it. Log into the Steam Client within SteamOS.

Get Comfy and get ready to play. Hopefully in this scenario the unRAID Server is hidden away somewhere and the NUC is plugged into a BIG TV in your living room. SteamOS runs in BIG Screen mode allowing you to control and load games as if it was a console. Use the Controller to find the game you want to play (not it will be the games you have INSTALLED on your Windows VM - NOTHING is actually installed within SteamOS on the NUC) and start playing. You are now "Stream Gaming" from a VM within unRAID to an NUC plugged into your TV.

P.S. This setup REQUIRES at minimum Gigabit Network to run. Ensure that you have a good enough router, NIC Card on the low powered box (the NUC HAS Gigabit NIC), Gigabit NIC on the unRAID Server etc etc

To be clear to be clear to be clear .....

unRAIDOS (On Powerful gaming standard H/W) - Windows 10VM (With GPU Passthrough) - Steam Client >>> Gigabit Network >>> SteamOS (On NUC or similar) - Steam Client >>> Wireless >>> Xbox360 Controller

I hope this helps  :)8)

It turns out I wasn't reading and I was misunderstanding. I missed the key bit of your posts TWICE. I should stop posting late at night OR early morning.

You want to do this using a FireTV or a Nexus. Google Limelight App.

Sorry, what a waste of a post. Sigh.

It turns out I wasn't reading and I was misunderstanding. I missed the key bit of your posts TWICE. I should stop posting late at night OR early morning.

You want to do this using a FireTV or a Nexus. Google Limelight App.

Sorry, what a waste of a post. Sigh.

Nah, not a waste of a post, at least we're on the same page now.  Still an informational post.  The key piece of info being that of installing SteamOS as its own VM versus installing the Steam software within a Windows 10 VM, so I can take advantage of the much larger game library.  I hadn't thought about that, so thanks.

My plan as of now is to install the Steam software on my Win10 VM, then install the Steam client on my Mac Mini, and play around a bit with streaming.  Obviously I can't do much with this setup until I get a video card installed to forward to the Windows VM.

I got so caught up in SteamOS I didn't notice your gamestream link.  I've looked into that a bit as well, and there are some promising outcomes.  There is a popular open-source gamestream Android app called "Moonlight".  It allows your Android device to stream games using the gamestream method, without having to own an nVidia Shield.  This means I should, with varying results, be able to stream games to my FireTv and/or my Nexus Player!  I can't test it right now, because the nVidia software won't even install on my VM without an nVidia GPU.  I planned on getting one soon anyways, so I'll play with it a bit, and report back.  Thanks again for the suggestion!

• Upvote 1

I did it!  I went to Microcenter last night and bought some shiny new components for the unRaid server, to include an EVGA GTX950.  Several hours of rebuilding later (I also replaced my mobo), I fired it up, and had no trouble at all.  Now I've got Gamestream running, and I just got finished playing a couple games on my Android tablet as a test.  Pretty darned cool!  I'm going to put together a new post about it most likely, but I wanted to thank danioj again for the gamestream suggestion.  Thanks to the Moonlight Android app, I should be able to play most of my Steam games on my android boxes around the house!

ILwwMgJwJa3I1mWmA4ikJRsYkWF0UWZkhgR69Pu3cOpfeqX5c-jpxjYWJwxQSH65f-Q6LcU7xQgVvnd6lcM3tSMJ_EDep5vIWJLl6QPn9QNaOYzkdtr6vF39nYMu2HDiLk2vU1hNxbThsdwJA0lXmKmeYYNR1Fo5kuEtLQNeiQpJThn5jDlKnrahxJ_H1HbOcG7LgUzO7DPiwHl0c51lQiOZiqOMaPxGTdlKEnwtP1EjOIg7pm4ISqBoxI9VmiZ1CQlihwE6cMAokJTTmDReB23L1y-ukj4V3Qzs_MB2kEWJ8SuAMEi_1h3DADCpetKBaJJ09XWxWzK3QxwXgwoOO4pxW7-tFTd7SHPmKl7h_VInkcWa9y1FDhYWOL_wc_dtUqiBJ8xhwvn-dXy_LVY1HYqO2Zdw6bfGjB_S2BL6juwmMiTp8CR0by097T1wEYlKpdswhnReHVpfVOGPhILJM4C_Cynbp6uxWU-1k_ukFnUWha8KEhhRMiYuNtPDfQB9y4YrZib_HD6dgxO8okYEoWay3HhZivO7u13UdH_UY27slkU6NEs81I4DTdPg6J7bxc_xSA=w1179-h663-no

After playing around with this new config for a few days, I'll admit that the drives are getting hotter than I'd like.  With the graphics card being taxed and half of the drives spun up, the drives are quickly getting to almost 40*C.  This makes me fear that a parity check would take them to near 50*C before it'd be finished.  Because of that, I'll soon be taking that 4-drive cage out, and upgrading my parity and a data drive to 5TB to make up for the storage loss.  I'm going to build a second unRaid machine from all the spare parts I've been gathering, so nothing will go to waste!

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2016 at 3:18 AM, De1taE1even said:

I did it!  I went to Microcenter last night and bought some shiny new components for the unRaid server, to include an EVGA GTX950.  Several hours of rebuilding later (I also replaced my mobo), I fired it up, and had no trouble at all.  Now I've got Gamestream running, and I just got finished playing a couple games on my Android tablet as a test.  Pretty darned cool!  I'm going to put together a new post about it most likely, but I wanted to thank danioj again for the gamestream suggestion.  Thanks to the Moonlight Android app, I should be able to play most of my Steam games on my android boxes around the house!

@De1taE1even and @danioj. What you guys did is exactly what I'd like to accomplish and I do have a similar setup as you have. Did you end up putting a post with the how-to? I have been trying everything for days, but cannot get it to work out.

I have a GTX1050, which I passthrough to my Win10 VM running GFE/gamestream. I have paired Moonlight (on IOS) with gamestream and can see the list of games. When launching the game, I get an error message: "Connection failed failed to launch app".

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

Edited by steve1977
On 3/10/2016 at 6:42 PM, De1taE1even said:

Hope so! I haven't decided on a video card yet but I'll make up my mind eventually.

for your remote client look into Splashtop Streamer...its free and support hardware video decoding so games and videos can stream as if they are locally attached to the monitor. you may need to make sure the device is hardwired to minimum 1gbps for gaming i would imagine.

https://www.splashtop.com/

for your remote client look into Splashtop Streamer...its free and support hardware video decoding so games and videos can stream as if they are locally attached to the monitor. you may need to make sure the device is hardwired to minimum 1gbps for gaming i would imagine.

https://www.splashtop.com/
Thanks! I'll check that out. My whole house is wired, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk