[DEPRECATED] Linuxserver.io - Rutorrent

51 minutes ago, powerw6 said:

Thank you for the docker. This works straight out of box. But the thing is, though, I am really having trouble forwarding ports. Default port to docker is 51413, external I changed auto to the same 51413. Forwarded port from router to machine. But the port checker is yellow no matter what I do at this point!? Also opened 6881 UDP but no dice. 

The last time I installed it on xpenology, it worked great. I had to reinstall it on a bigger hdd, but now I just can't get past yellow... 

Please help :(.. 

Post your docker run command, link in my sig

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

Post your docker run command, link in my sig

I'm very new to docker! sorry. So everyone keeps on talking about docker commands, but I run it via a docker application. I will read your sig FAQ to clarify when I get home.

But meanwhile, the only things I changed were:

volumes added /downloads /config

ports: 51413:51413, 6881:6881, 8080:80

variables: PGID: 101 PUID: 1026

Exact same setting worked on my previous install. I am so stuck why it isn't working now.. thanks. 

1 minute ago, powerw6 said:

So everyone keeps on talking about docker commands, but I run it via a docker application.

What do you mean by this? We seldom talk about docker commands, since most of what you do with dockers in unRAID doesn't require you to run any docker commands.

In this particular case we are trying to find out how you have configured this particular docker to run on unRAID. unRAID will display the docker run command it uses when it starts the docker, based on the way you have configured the docker in the unRAID webUI.

Or are you not even running unRAID?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, trurl said:

What do you mean by this? We seldom talk about docker commands, since most of what you do with dockers in unRAID doesn't require you to run any docker commands.

In this particular case we are trying to find out how you have configured this particular docker to run on unRAID. unRAID will display the docker run command it uses when it starts the docker, based on the way you have configured the docker in the unRAID webUI.

That's a good point looking at his PUID and PGID.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

doh. I was googling docker rtorrent and I recognized the linux-server rutorrent docker so I figured this was a common support forum! No I am not using unRAID, didn't know it was a thing until now. I should look into it. But I am running it in XPEnology docker app which gives you a GUI to configure docker deployment. I should probably ask this in the proper Github.

1 hour ago, powerw6 said:

doh. I was googling docker rtorrent and I recognized the linux-server rutorrent docker so I figured this was a common support forum! No I am not using unRAID, didn't know it was a thing until now. I should look into it. But I am running it in XPEnology docker app which gives you a GUI to configure docker deployment. I should probably ask this in the proper Github.

Linuxserver.io has their own forum and if you aren't using unRAID you should use that instead. Here is their docker support section.

https://forum.linuxserver.io/forum-20.html

Is there a way to change the autowatch frequency? It seems to be random in how long it will take to grab a torrent from my watch folder. Sometimes it's a few minutes, and other times it's 10 minutes or more..

edit: answered my own question. first:

docker exec -i -t rutorrent bash

then 

vi /var/www/localhost/rutorrent/plugins/autotools/conf.php

Change $autowatch_interval = 300; to whatever you want. I changed mine to 30 seconds.

Type

:wq

to save. 

This setting will survive a container restart, but it will revert back to 300 seconds anytime the container is updated or if you edit container settings so you'll need to do these steps again in those situations.

Edited by lespaul
  • Upvote 1

How do I persist Settings across restarts? I changed the listening port to suit my needs and disabled DTH and PEX but after restarting, they're all back to the defaults.

update:

Just read this on the github repo for this app:

"Settings, changed by the user through the "Settings" panel in ruTorrent, are valid until rtorrent restart. After which all settings will be set according to the rtorrent config file (/config/rtorrent/rtorrent.rc),this is a limitation of the actual apps themselves."

Edited by ksd2kd
On 3/21/2017 at 11:53 PM, lespaul said:

Is there a way to change the autowatch frequency? It seems to be random in how long it will take to grab a torrent from my watch folder. Sometimes it's a few minutes, and other times it's 10 minutes or more..

edit: answered my own question. first:

then 

vi /var/www/localhost/rutorrent/plugins/autotools/conf.php

Change $autowatch_interval = 300; to whatever you want. I changed mine to 30 seconds.

Type

:wq

to save. 

This setting will survive a container restart, but it will revert back to 300 seconds anytime the container is updated or if you edit container settings so you'll need to do these steps again in those situations.

Great job of answering your own question, giving a step-by-step, and posting the warning about the settings being cleared on container update!

The internet would be a far better place if there were more posts like this!

OK, I got this installed & running mostly fine. I pointed it at my directory where I've been collecting the last 7-8 years worth of .torrent files & it slurped them all in and now lists 3000+ plus torrents. (I may or may not go back through and connect them up with the appropriate files...)

When it did that, it deleted every single one of my .torrent files! I'm assuming that it just moved them somewhere, but I haven't a clue where it put them. Any tips? I did

and I've rummaged about a bit, but I'm not finding any .torrent files

I was running into issues with it picking things up via RSS, so I temporarily reverted to my Win10-based uTorrent machine to do the DL/seeding. I restarted uTorrent, and all my torrents are now marked with a big X and it says that it can't open the .torrent file.

Is there any way to access the 

/var/www/localhost/rutorrent/plugins/autotools/

path without being in the docker?  It would be nice to be able to use editors other than vi (which I find EXTREMELY unfriendly to use) or even use a Samba share so that you can edit it from Notepad++.

1 hour ago, wayner said:

path without being in the docker?  It would be nice to be able to use editors other than vi (which I find EXTREMELY unfriendly to use) or even use a Samba share so that you can edit it from Notepad++.

You might just be able to mount the path. vi isn't so bad once you get used to it, as I recently had to do. Some dockers don't even have vi, oddly enough. 

Since the last update, rtorrent is regularly taking up 100% of one core and becoming unresponsive.

Restarting the docker fixes it for a while.

rtorrent.log doesn't really provide anything useful:

1491292527 W Ignoring ~/.rtorrent.rc.
1491292527 N rtorrent main: Starting thread.
1491292527 N worker_rtorrent: Starting thread.

nano should be in there. If not, install it with "apk add --no-cache nano"
49 minutes ago, poldim said:

How can I make the upload speed limit a persistent setting that survives docker updates?

It should already since the config files aren't saved in the image. The issue I've had is with restarts, not necessarily updates. If so, shut down the docker, manually edit the config file, and start it again.

11 minutes ago, LSL1337 said:

i can't even 'enter the docker' in putty, so i'm lost how should i install it.

12 minutes ago, LSL1337 said:

i try to create a plug-in folder over network share, but insufficent privilages

At the command line you are root and have all privileges. Google "Midnight Commander", a built-in file manager that is easy to learn and use.

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to get prowl notifications to work, what I have done is added a line of code in the rtorrent.rc file, located in cache\appdata\rutorrent\rtorrent.

The following line is added with "edit file in Krusader".

system.method.set_key = event.download.finished,notify_me,"execute=/config/rtorrent/sendNotification.sh,$d.get_name="

And I have created a file sendNotification.sh in the same location. And that files contains:

#!/bin/sh

API_KEY="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
SUBJECT="Download finished"
# The message is taken from
# .rtorrent.rc ($d.get_name)
MESSAGE=$1

curl -d "apikey=$API_KEY&application=rTorrent&event=$SUBJECT&description=$MESSAGE" https://api.prowlapp.com/publicapi/add

With the XXXX being my api key. And I have set the chmod 755 on the sendNotification.sh file. But it doesn't work, can anybody see what I'm doing wrong? Is it the path to the *.sh file? or some typo. Or shouldn't I use Krusader to edit/create files, maybe mc is better?

Thanks in advance.

On 2017. 04. 10. at 10:14 PM, trurl said:

At the command line you are root and have all privileges. Google "Midnight Commander", a built-in file manager that is easy to learn and use.

docker exec -it $linuxserver/rutorrent /bin/bash

i get EOF

i have no idea what is that

and midnight commander doesn't seems like a windows gui app :)

thanks anyway, it seems like this rutorrent stuff is not for me

The correct command to get to the docker shell is:

docker exec -it rutorrent bash

I don't think midnight commander will help as I don't believe the rutorrent docher has it. To install a plugin you'd have to copy it to the docker config folder. Then within the docker shell, copy it to the plug-in folder. But this will get wiped out after updates. You might be able to specify a plugin directory in the config folder but I'm not sure.

Edited by bobbintb
4 hours ago, LSL1337 said:

and midnight commander doesn't seems like a windows gui app

3 hours ago, bobbintb said:

I don't think midnight commander will help as I don't believe the rutorrent docher has it

It's builtin to unRAID. The point of mentioning it is because he was having permission problems trying create a "plugin folder". I assumed he was trying to create it in the rutorrent appdata.

And the exact command for getting a shell inside the docker would depend on exactly what he had named the container.

4 hours ago, LSL1337 said:

thanks anyway, it seems like this rutorrent stuff is not for me

But, apparently those hints were not enough.

On 4/9/2017 at 0:52 PM, bobbintb said:

It should already since the config files aren't saved in the image. The issue I've had is with restarts, not necessarily updates. If so, shut down the docker, manually edit the config file, and start it again.

The upload rate is one of the few settings that is consistently getting wiped after each update.  

Where is the upload rate set in the config manually?

On 8/3/2016 at 3:50 PM, sparklyballs said:

any changes made in the webui are not permanent and only apply to that session, ie until the docker is restarted.

this is a limitation of the apps themselves

https://github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki#some-non-obvious-points

any permanent changes need to be made to the rtorrrent.rc file

/config/rtorrent/rtorrent.rc

Thanks - that was driving me crazy

• linuxserver.io changed the title to [DEPRECATED] Linuxserver.io - Rutorrent