[Plex Docker Help] WebTools & Unsupported App Store

Sean M.

Hello All,

I'm currently running Plex as a docker and haven't been able to get WebTools to work as I would like to add the unsupported app store to my server.

Referencing these two threads:

WebTools

Unsupported App Store V2

I searched within the threads and was unable to find any mentions of unraid, posted on the plex forum, and figured I would check here as well to see if anyone has experience with these.

I installed the webtool channel successfully (as in it appears within Plex) however it does not allow me to access it using the URL as described in the guide.

Does anyone here have these setup on their docker server? If so would you mind providing any tips?

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is a nice tool! Once it is installed it handles the installation of other Plex channels for you. 

I pretty much followed the instructions from here:

https://github.com/dagalufh/WebTools.bundle/wiki/Installation

Updated 9/14/2017

Guide to installing the WebTools 2.4.1 channel in Plex

High level overview

These instructions appear quite long, so here is a high level overview to show that it isn't really that complicated:

• Download the WebTools zip file, unzip it, and place it in the Plex appdata plugins directory. If the copy fails, fix the permissions and try again. After a delay the channel will automatically be installed and you can access WebTools here:  http://<unraid IP address here>:33400/

Short instructions

• Download WebTools.bundle.zip from https://github.com/dagalufh/WebTools.bundle/releases/latest and extract it to your desktop. Locate the "Webtools.bundle" folder.

• Copy the Webtools.bundle folder to your Plex Plug-ins directory here:
    \\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins

• If you get a permission denied error, you'll need to SSH to the server and:
    • cd "/mnt/user/appdata/<Plex appdata>/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/"  
    • chmod a+w Plug-ins
    • then try copying the directory again

• When it is done you should be able to navigate to:
    \\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle\Contents
    • If you are able to pull up the Content directory directly under Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle, then everything is in the right place.

• Wait a few minutes, then login to Plex. Go to the Channels area and you should see WebTools (although if you click the image the wrong url will be displayed.) If it isn't listed, wait longer and try again.  If you want to kick-start it, restart the Plex docker, wait some more and check again. 

• Once you see the channel listed, you can access WebTools at this url:
    • http://<unraid IP address here>:33400/

Long instructions:

1. "tower" is the default name of an unRAID server, but you may have renamed yours. Wherever you see <tower> written here, substitute the name of your server, without the <> characters.

2. Open your unRAID webgui and go to the Dockers tab. Click on the Plex icon and choose Edit. Find the "host path" that corresponds to the container path "/config". It will look like this: 
      /mnt/user/appdata/<Plex appdata>/
    Make note of the folder name that appears after "appdata" and use that wherever you see <Plex appdata> in this guide.  In other words, if your host path looks like this:
      /mnt/cache/appdata/Plex Media Server/
    then your <Plex appdata> is "Plex Media Server".

3. From your desktop computer, navigate to the Plug-ins directory here:
    \\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server\Plug-ins

4. Download Webtools.bundle.zip from https://github.com/dagalufh/WebTools.bundle/releases/latest and extract it to your desktop. Locate the "Webtools.bundle" folder.

5. Copy the WebTools.bundle directory from step 4 to the Plug-ins directory you located in step 3.

6. If that copy works, great!  

If you get a permissions error you will need to SSH in to the server to fix it.  Once you have SSH'd in, you need to cd to the Plug-ins directory. We'll do this in steps. I recommend copy/pasting what you type and the results into a text file so you can ask for help if there are problems. If you get an error message from mistyping something, it should be fine to simply retry that step. If you get completely lost, type "exit" and start over.

cd /mnt/user/appdata
    cd "<Plex appdata>"    (do type the quotes. do not type the <>)
    cd "Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server"  (do type the quotes)
    ls -al  (this is just for the notes that you are copy/pasting)
    chmod a+w Plug-ins  (this is the command that changes the permissions on the Plug-ins directory so you can copy files into it)
    ls -al  (again for your notes)
    exit

You should now be able to copy the WebTools.bundle directory into the Plug-ins directory.

7. To make sure you put the directory in the right place, confirm you can navigate here from your desktop computer:
    \\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server\Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle\Content
    If you are able to pull up the Content directory directly under Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle, then everything is in the right place.

8. Wait a few minutes, then wait some more, then login to Plex. Go to the Channels area and you should see WebTools (although if you click the image the wrong url will be displayed.) If it isn't listed, wait longer and try again.  If you want to kick-start it, restart the Plex docker, wait some more and check again. Be patient, wait some more :)

9. Once you see the channel listed, you can access WebTools at this url:
      http://<unraid IP address here>:33400/

Need Help?

If you are still unable to get this working, please provide the following information:

A. From step 1 - What is the name of the server you are using in place of <tower>?  Also, is your system working fine other than this? If you have underlying issues with Plex or your server, you should resolve those before installing a new channel.

B. From step 2 - What is the full host path that corresponds to the container path for "/config"?  And what are you using for the <Plex appdata> value?

C. From step 3 - Are you able to access
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server\Plug-ins ?  

If not, where does it break?  i.e. which of the follow does not work:

\\<tower>\

\\<tower>\appdata\
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server\Plug-ins

D. From step 4 - Look in your "Webtools.bundle" folder. It should contain subfolders for "http" and "Contents", plus a few other files. If it doesn't you should re-download / re-extract and try again.

E. From step 5 - Do you get any errors when copying Webtools.bundle to the Plug-ins directory?

F. From step 6 - If you had to do step 6, attach the text file where you were saving the results of all the commands you typed.

G. From step 7 - Are you able to access these directories?
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server\Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle
\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media server\Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle\Content

H. Attach "Plex Media Server.log" from the logs directory:

\\<tower>\appdata\<Plex appdata>\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Logs

If "com.plexapp.plugins.WebTools.log" exists in the the "PMS Plugin logs" sub-directory, attach that as well.

Edited by ljm42
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I'm currently running Plex as a docker and haven't been able to get WebTools to work as I would like to add the unsupported app store to my server.

Referencing these two threads:

WebTools

Unsupported App Store V2

I searched within the threads and was unable to find any mentions of unraid, posted on the plex forum, and figured I would check here as well to see if anyone has experience with these.

I installed the webtool channel successfully (as in it appears within Plex) however it does not allow me to access it using the URL as described in the guide.

Does anyone here have these setup on their docker server? If so would you mind providing any tips?

Thank you in advance!

Did you get this plugin to work? I seem to be having the same problem, got it installed but can't access it. Just keep getting an error that the plugin isn't responding.

Drop the bundle into the config folder, match permissions and restart the container. If it's running in host mode, you can just go to the server ip and port 33400

Which config folder? I installed it into appdata as posted by ljm42, but it's not responding.

Edit: Restarted the docker again and now it works. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, Semiconducted said:

Running unraid 6.3.5 and linuxserver's docker for Plex.

Everything is in the right place, docker restarted, etc.

However when I go to http://[unraid server IP address]:33400/ or via https, I still get:

"Safari Can't Connect to the Server".

Any ideas what's going wrong here?

Thanks!

I think you need to go the the plex web gui under channels and in webtools fill in your plex username and pass if you haven't done that already.

25 minutes ago, Hogwind said:

I think you need to go the the plex web gui under channels and in webtools fill in your plex username and pass if you haven't done that already.

Thanks for your quick response @Hogwind!

I should have also mentioned that I checked there too.
I also went to Settings > Channels and turned off "Disable capability checking" and still don't see anything named WebTools or similar within Channels.

After every attempt restarted the Docker and when that didn't have any effect, rebooted the entire server. Still nothing.

Scr 2017-07-28 at 1.39.52 PM.png

Scr 2017-07-28 at 1.40.31 PM.png

Do you have all the plex plugins at \\TOWER\appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins    ?

I just un-zipped WebTools.bundle and copied over with Krusader. Make sure the path isn't nested with the folder name WebTools.bundle like:
\\TOWER\appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\WebTools.bundle\WebTools.bundle

It should only be one folder named WebTools.bundle

I did like ljm42 in the second post, launched plex gui and there it was under channels. The only difference is that I copied the plugin to a share in unraid and then used krusader to copy it to the plugins folder. I couldn't copy it directly from the windows machine because of permissions.

Edited by Hogwind

I have it under channels, thats the pic above.  It just won't launch.  I copied it over without a problem but I still think something is wrong since it's not showing the Webtools logo.  Any ideas?

Only other thing I can think of is maybe I have something else running on that port, I will check that when I get home

Edited by squirrellydw
added something

Thats what I did and it's not working.  I think it might be a permission thing.  Any idea what my permissions should be for the Plug-ins folder for Plex and what I need to to do to verify/change them?  This is the path to my plug-ins folder on my cache drive  "/appdata/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins"  Also attached are the logs from the web tools plugin.

Webtools log.zip

Edited by squirrellydw
Thats what I did and it's not working.  I think it might be a permission thing.  Any idea what my permissions should be for the Plug-ins folder for Plex and what I need to to do to verify/change them?  This is the path to my plug-ins folder on my cache drive  "/appdata/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins"  Also attached are the logs from the web tools plugin.

Webtools log.zip

Check the permissions of the other folders in that location and match it

If you do "chown -R nobody:users webtoolsfoldername" it should take care of it

[UPDATED per @aptalca's message below.]

Thanks for your help @Hogwind

@squirrellydw, perhaps my solve below may help your situation.

TLDR: linuxserver's Unraid Docker default location within /mnt/user/appdata/ was listed as "plex" and not "Plex Media Server".

I had been using the Plex docker from linuxserver's repository ("linuxserver/plex") after removing the previous "official" docker installation using the Unraid dashboard.

Linuxserver's template sets the root for Plex as  /mnt/user/appdata/plex while the previous "official" docker used /mnt/user/appdata/Plex Media Server. I removed the official docker and ran 'cleanup', but for whatever reason the folder and some files remained. I logged into SSH as root and removed the files, which appeared to work. However once I restarted Linuxserver's plex docker, I noticed the deleted folder had reappeared both in terminal and in Krusader.

I copied everything that was in /mnt/user/appdata/plex into /mnt/user/appdata/Plex Media Server and edited Linuxserver's docker config to point to the new directory. I could then see WebTools, but it would not launch.

Long story short, I reinstalled the docker under the new root /mnt/user/appdata/Plex Media Server and now everything works!

The unfortunate side effect was that I had to re-setup Plex like it was brand new.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Semiconducted
@aptalca's sensible message regarding root paths made me realize I misinterpreted the cause.
Thanks for your help [mention=1392]Hogwind[/mention] [mention=1728]squirrellydw[/mention], perhaps my solve below may help your situation.

TLDR: linuxserver's Unraid Docker default location within /mnt/user/appdata/ was listed as "plex" and not "Plex Media Server".

I was using the Plex docker from linuxserver's repository ("linuxserver/plex").

The default template under "Advanced" sets the root for Plex as  /mnt/user/appdata/plex while Plex - or its plug ins - prefers to keep everything in /mnt/user/appdata/Plex Media Server. 

I copied everything that was in /mnt/user/appdata/plex into /mnt/user/appdata/Plex Media Server and edited the docker config to point to the new directory.

I could then see WebTools, but it would not launch.

I reinstalled the docker under the new root /mnt/user/appdata/Plex Media Server and now everything works!

The unfortunate side effect was that I had to re-setup Plex like it was brand new.

Hope this helps!

That is not correct. Do not move plex installation files or you'll likely break it and will have to set it up from scratch.  

Plex doesn't care or know about the root folder. We mount that folder as "/config" inside the container so all plex knows is that it's files are under /config. Whether it is /mnt/cache/appdata/blah or just /blah on your host does not make a difference to plex.

Plus, your post is confusing because there is another folder called "Plex Media Server" under plex's internal structure (under /config/Library) and if someone moves that folder, they will surely break it.

Leave the mount points as is. If plex is working, there is nothing wrong with them. Set the owner of the plugin files directly and restart plex. That's all that is needed.

PS. The container only checks the top folder's permissions/owner on container start, and fixes them only if that folder's is wrong. So if you add files downstream with wrong permissions, the container won't fix it. In your case, my guess is that when you moved the whole plex folder, you likely changed the entire folder's permissions/owner and the container fixed it, also fixing the webtools permissions/owner.

@aptalca  this is what I get, still not working.  And why does it say Feb 19??  I also attached the Webtools log

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  60 Jul 31 10:51 ./

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 232 Jul 31 18:49 ../

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  16 Jul 27 02:50 Services.bundle/

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  76 Feb 19 17:00 WebTools.bundle/

Webtools log.zip

Edited by squirrellydw
@aptalca  this is what I get, still not working.  And why does it say Feb 19??  I also attached the Webtools log

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  60 Jul 31 10:51 ./

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 232 Jul 31 18:49 ../

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  16 Jul 27 02:50 Services.bundle/

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  76 Feb 19 17:00 WebTools.bundle/

Webtools log.zip

I'm not sure, according to the log, it seems to start. Did you try going to http://unraidip:33400?

If it's still not working, perhaps you can ask in their plex thread
14 hours ago, aptalca said:

That is not correct. Do not move plex installation files or you'll likely break it and will have to set it up from scratch.  

Plex doesn't care or know about the root folder.

I guess that's the whole point of docker containers, eh? :) Thanks for setting me straight.

I must have done something when I had the official and linuxserver's installations of Plex running simultaneously - like try to copy my settings over - that caused my particular issues.

Reinstalling the Plex docker from scratch fixed it, likely because as you mention the paths and permissions were reset properly.

Edited by Semiconducted