GTX 580 passthrough code 12

Broken

hi, im new to unraid and KVM VM's, ive set up the VM for windows 7 correctly, everything works expect the GPU which is coming up with a conflict in device manager, it is saying two devices are using the same resources as shown below. the config file is below too

<domain type='kvm' id='15' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>windows 7 again</name>
  <uuid>f5397cf5-027c-7bd9-0f2b-92769c12c5b3</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate name="Custom" icon="windows7.png" os="windows7"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>3145728</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>3145728</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.3'>hvm</type>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/VMs/windows 7 again/vdisk1.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Programs/Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (64 Bit)/Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (64 Bit).iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <alias name='ide0-0-0'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Programs/virtio-win-0.1.102.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='ide0-0-1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'>
      <alias name='pci.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:ba:1f:f0'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/windows 7 again.org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-gb'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='vmvga' vram='16384' heads='1'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pci.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=2,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=06:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

if you need any more info please feel free to ask.

thanks

broken

Error.png.c0a72d9b953d22b79ea0e85ec5626397.png

ive disabled the vnc but im getting nothing through either the dvi or hdmi cable to my monitor.

There is a very good chance you'll simply have to get a newer graphics card.  I was having your exact issues with my GTX 580; nothing coming out of the video out and a device manager conflict.  I was frustrated to find out that it's simply a compatibility issue.  I purchased a GTX 950 for about $150 ish and it worked right away.  The unRAID wiki states that, "NVIDIA GTX-series GPUs should work fine as of the 600 series or newer, but not all models have been tested."

You can read more about it here: https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Assigning_Graphics_Devices

It's worth a shot to try the suggestions on that page for passing through your GPU, but just be prepared that they very well may not work.

Is the nvidia card the only GPU in your system?

If you do not have an integrated GPU or another card as the initial adapter that shows the unraid console, you can not pass through your nvidia GPU.

my motherboard has one, im not at the PC right now but im sure its an ASPEED AST2400 graphics, it has a vga connector anyway and works without a gpu.

ive disabled the vnc but im getting nothing through either the dvi or hdmi cable to my monitor.

There is a very good chance you'll simply have to get a newer graphics card.  I was having your exact issues with my GTX 580; nothing coming out of the video out and a device manager conflict.  I was frustrated to find out that it's simply a compatibility issue.  I purchased a GTX 950 for about $150 ish and it worked right away.  The unRAID wiki states that, "NVIDIA GTX-series GPUs should work fine as of the 600 series or newer, but not all models have been tested."

You can read more about it here: https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Assigning_Graphics_Devices

It's worth a shot to try the suggestions on that page for passing through your GPU, but just be prepared that they very well may not work.

ill try those suggestions this evening after work, but i was hoping it would "just work", i have 2 580s from a gaming pc (5yr+old so not modern) and wanted to use 1 for an htpc, but i was hoping not to have to spend more money as ive spent a fair bit already :(

If you do not have an integrated GPU or another card as the initial adapter that shows the unraid console, you can not pass through your nvidia GPU.

my motherboard has one, im not at the PC right now but im sure its an ASPEED AST2400 graphics, it has a vga connector anyway and works without a gpu.

Make sure in the bios that your primary gpu is set as the intigrated graphics.

On my board i have this setting you should have this or similar

IGPU Multi-Monitor

Select enable to keep the integrated graphics enabled at all times.

I'm hoping LT will eventually make it work without an initial adapter. I'm running my system headless with just ipmi.  It would be nice to be able to throw a graphics card in and be able to run a linux mint cinnamon vm.  My board is very limited on pci-e slots.

I'm hoping LT will eventually make it work without an initial adapter. I'm running my system headless with just ipmi.  It would be nice to be able to throw a graphics card in and be able to run a linux mint cinnamon vm.  My board is very limited on pci-e slots.

I'm not sure there is much LT can do about it as the issue is with the NVidia cards only. AMD cards works to pass through if they are the only GPU.

I'm not sure there is much LT can do about it as the issue is with the NVidia cards only. AMD cards works to pass through if they are the only GPU.

Thanks.  As long as AMD cards work i'm fine with that.  I'm going to have to pull my HD 5870 from my other system and test it out in unraid.

Well. I installed amother gpu, an old one from work, 5430 I believe, and the 580 worked. Turned the vm off to assign keyboard and mouse and now it won't work again. I'm getting the following error.

Feb 8 22:33:46 broken kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: Invalid ROM contents

Feb 8 22:33:47 broken kernel: kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated