$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Thinking about the future,; is there an upgrade path for everyone that's getting the E5-2670 CPUs?

The LGA2011 socket (at least V1 and V2) is dead since the v3 (with DDR4) is out, so I was wondering if we should expect newer CPUs on this socket in the future?

I realize that it will take quite a bit of computing power to double the speed of a current E5-2670 (especially for dual socket users), and it feels like I'm buying all this equipment for a system that is not upgradable (except to a e5-2696/7??, which will likely not be worth the cost of upgrade )

For me that's not a problem, but I thought I'd put the question out there.

What are your thoughts?

Thinking about the future,; is there an upgrade path for everyone that's getting the E5-2670 CPUs?

The LGA2011 socket (at least V1 and V2) is dead since the v3 (with DDR4) is out, so I was wondering if we should expect newer CPUs on this socket in the future?

I realize that it will take quite a bit of computing power to double the speed of a current E5-2670 (especially for dual socket users), and it feels like I'm buying all this equipment for a system that is not upgradable (except to a e5-2696/7??, which will likely not be worth the cost of upgrade )

What are your thoughts?

That socket version is dead.  Intel has moved to the LGA2011-3.  So yes the only upgrade path is the E5-2696/7. 

For me when it comes to computers, it never works out to buy with upgrade in mind.  Upgrade always means a new motherboard and sometimes new RAM.  The point on this equipment is getting a hell of a horsepower server for fraction of the cost of going with the new socket and RAM. 

What are your thoughts?

There's no question, you're buying hardware for a platform that isn't upgradable CPU wise without getting a new motherboard.

LGA2011 is basically just the size of the CPU itself now, the difference between generations can't be compared because the only similarity is size, they don't even match the connections on the socket nor do they share even remotely similar chipsets.

The E5-2670 is a super powerful chip and probably is sufficient for loads of people, but no one should assume that by buying a v1 chip/mobo combo you're going to have an upgrade path. You're buying this with hopes to last you for many more years and then replace the entire CPU/MOBO/RAM at that time.

As noted, this is clearly NOT an upgradeable setup => but that's going to be true anytime you intentionally buy "old" technology.    This is simply a case where the "old" technology is still VERY viable ... it has a LOT of "horsepower", includes hyperthreading, vt-d, and you're getting it at a FRACTION of the cost of the current generation.

e.g. an E5-2670v3 has 12 cores and a PassMark of 16686, compared to the 8 cores and 12452 PassMark of the first gen 2670 you're buying ==> but it also costs $1670.99 (at Newegg) just for the processor.    Those building systems in this thread with the e-bay bargains are building the entire system for less than half of that price  :)    ... and if you're using two CPUs, you'll have 16 cores and a PassMark of 18355, so you'll notably outperform a new 3rd gen chip.

So yes, these are absolutely "disposable" systems with no upgrade path => but at the price that's nothing to be concerned about.

I'm still looking for a motherboard.

Problem is... now i'm thinking about virtualizing my gaming pc BUT for that i need a motherboard with at least one PCI-e x16 slot.

Dual socket, IPMI, PCI-e x16 slot, anyone have any ideas (in Europe)? I would go with the EP2C602-4L/D16 but it would cost about 100 euro's more than the motherboard without the x16 slot costs.

Offtopic-ish, ebay sellers who put up dozens of "X amount of ram for <insert whatever motherboard model you are looking for>" are assholes.

For the record, the dual asrock board (and maybe the other ones too) does support v2 2011 chips, so in theory, you could upgrade to a e5-2697v2 that gets almost an 18000 for a single chip. Of course, you won't be getting it for 68$. Retails at Newegg.com for $2650 a chip... This is simply a fluke in the market that is giving us all an opportunity to put together a dirt cheap monster of a server :-)

What are your thoughts?

I upgrade every 3 years or so and I almost always have to get a new mobo. The only time I kept the mobo was when I upgraded my unraid server from a sempron 145 to an older phenom ii b55 unlocked (for plex transcoding). And the only reason I kept the mobo was because I was replacing a low end chip with a higher end one. If I was replacing an Athlon, I probably would have gone with a later gen cpu and replaced the mobo as well.

In 3 years, when I do replace this xeon, it better be a passmark 48,000 or something like that since I quadrupled the passmark scores during each of the last 2 upgrades :-)

In 3 years, when I do replace this xeon, it better be a passmark 48,000 or something like that since I quadrupled the passmark scores during each of the last 2 upgrades :-)

I've been upgrading every 3-4 years, and each time I roughly double the performance. It's now time for an upgrade, but I'm increasing the performance 5 times not twice like in the past...

Agreed that on the next upgrade cycle (3-4 years from now) there better be relatively inexpensive ways to get passmark 40,000+ however I'm not holding my breath.

This system should be good for quite a while. I'll just keep throwing more ram at it over time, and it should suffice what I need it to do.

By the way if anyone in Europe wants to risk it,

http://www.ebay.it/itm/MOTHERBOARD-DUAL-SOCKET-R-LGA-2011-X9D-MBD-X9DRG-QF-/231823148010

Note that it has a proprietary form factor so it might not fit with regular mounting holes.

This is another cheap-ish one in Europe,

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00E8UIR4O/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Note that the included picture is wrong, this doesn't have the Asus PIKE sata ports or IPMI. The ASIN/Item model number confirms this listing as being the Z9PA-D8C which is a cut down workstation version.

So... I'm thinking about the following:

2 of the CPUs, 2 active coolers

Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR3-F

RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) PC3L-10600R DDR3 1333 ECC Registered (I think this works...)

Open to other suggestions: SC846TQ-R900B 24 bay hotswap 4U rack mount chassis, redundant 900W PSUs (I have 16 parity/data drives, 1 cache ssd currently with plans for an additional parity and two more 3TB data drives, maybe four bringing my total drives to 21 drives)

Plan to run 3 VMs full time:

pfSense w/4-port NIC (PCIe x4)

Two HTPCs with GPUs (2 PCIe x16, no power plugs)

Drive connectivity (up to 22 of my 21 drives):

Onboard SATA: 6

Onboard SAS: 8 (this works JBOD, right?)

Expansion card AOC SAS: 8

Anyone see any issues?

Assuming you aren't buying the chassis new the backplane might not support 2TB+ disks i think. (this might be a different model i'm thinking about)

I think you're thinking about the SC846E1-R900B (eBay searches reveal said 3-4TB backplane issue). The TQ back plane doesn't seem to have that issue from what I can tell (one seller who mentioned the issue in a listing for the E1, doesn't mention it in a listing for the TQ).

Looks like the TQ's also cost significantly more, even used.

If i remember correctly there is a backplane upgrade available for the cheaper version

I found one with a dual core AMD processor and some ram already in it for under $340 shipped, I'm waiting to hear back if it has rack rails. Plus, I have another controller card laying around that is a 4 port SATA2 RocketRaid card to cover the last two slots, plus two cache drives.

I'll also need to pick up some adapter kit as I have a 10/32 threaded rack, not a square hole rack.

What dual cpu mb you are looking at that doesn't have at least one x16 slot ?

I think any dual socket X9 series (LGA2011) Supermicro in an ATX form factor doesn't have an x16 slot. I would love to be proven wrong.

Not true.  e.g. this has 3 x16 and 3 x8 slots:  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x9dr3-f.cfm

Edit:  Actually I missed (or, more accurately, forgot about), your "... in an ATX form factor"  caveat.    That may indeed be true, but there are clearly other choices that DO have the slot you need.

I suspect the best choice in an ATX form factor for a SuperMicro board is the MBD-X9DRL-3F-O

But as you correctly noted, it doesn't have any x16 slots.    It does have 3 PCIe v3 x8 slots => which you COULD use for x16 boards [v3 slots would have plenty of bandwidth with 8 lanes] ... but you would, of course, have to do a bit of "surgery" to open the end of the slots [easy to do with a Dremel ... but would, of course, void the board's warranty].

Might be better to simply move to a larger case that will accommodate the larger server boards.

hrrrmpf.  :-[

i'm new here, and i have to say....

you guys are bastards! :-) why? my story:

first, my gaming rig is a highly overclocked 1366 X5650 with nvidia gtx 980ti and i burn very much other new rigs. so i like "old systems"

second, my hobby is just building pc's for friends,overclocking and so on

third, i have to switch in my company the account-software, so i will end up with 100€ monthly just for the server outsourcing

so my thoughts, make your own sever

i found in my pc-scrapyard finally a 775 dual core with rams and 11 different HDDs

so i built the pc and UNRAID, hell, thats such a smooth thing!

i built a highly usable "server" for 0€!

then i started in the forums:

so

after 1 hour i ended up at UNRAID with VM support

after 4 hours i ended up in this thread

after 3 days and lots of research, finally,

i bought 6 of the e5, 2 for system, 2 for backup, and i will sell 2 of them here in europe as with luck i get all the costs back. :-)

you guys cost me a lot of money!!!! :-) :-)