Shamalamadindong

$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Some of us have multiple servers based on this hardware. I have 4 of these beasts.

There is a lot of gold in this thread.

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I built a dual xeon 2670 with the Intel S2600C motherboard from Natex.  I put it in a Norco 4224, and I am using two Noctua NH-U9DXi4 for the CPU cooling.  I've got esxi running a couple ubuntu VM's and when I check my sensors, coretemp is reading 100.0*C for every single core, never fluctuating. My VM has 10 cores assigned out of the 16 available, and the sensor output is only showing 10 core temps.  The heatsink is cold to the touch, and there's no burning smell, so I'm not actually sure if it's idling at 100.0*C. 

Is it possible that the heatsink isn't installed properly and the chip is hitting a thermal limiter?  I haven't upgraded the BMC, Bios, FRUSDR and ME, would this have an effect on the temp sensor?  Can I upgrade these things without wiping my system?

Thanks!

coretemp 100C.png

Edited by seanap

26 minutes ago, seanap said:

Hey guys, I built a dual xeon 2670 with the Intel S2600C motherboard from Natex.  I put it in a Norco 4224, and I am using two Noctua NH-U9DXi4 for the CPU cooling.  I've got esxi running a couple ubuntu VM's and when I check my sensors, coretemp is reading 100.0*C for every single core, never fluctuating. My VM has 10 cores assigned out of the 16 available, and the sensor output is only showing 10 core temps.  The heatsink is cold to the touch, and there's no burning smell, so I'm not actually sure if it's idling at 100.0*C. 

Is it possible that the heatsink isn't installed properly and the chip is hitting a thermal limiter?  I haven't upgraded the BMC, Bios, FRUSDR and ME, would this have an effect on the temp sensor?  Can I upgrade these things without wiping my system?

Thanks!

coretemp 100C.png

first thing is shut that puppy down, re-check the fans, did you remove the plastic from the heat sink , use good thermal paste?

I would also update the board would not hurt.

It has been this way idling for about a month now, and I'm just noticing this now.  Fans are all spinning, everything feels nice and cool, I did remove the plastic from the heat sink, and I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.  I will shut this down and try to reseat the heatsink.

Will upgrading the board mess with any of my VM's or esxi?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, seanap said:

Is it possible that the heatsink isn't installed properly and the chip is hitting a thermal limiter?  I haven't upgraded the BMC, Bios, FRUSDR and ME, would this have an effect on the temp sensor?  

your picture is look like from Ubuntu. if you run it under ESXi, then you are ok - i have some Ubuntu VMs under ESXi, and all the sensors are the same as yours - that mean, you can't read it from VM this way. Does this mobo have some IPMI? i can read my Supermicro mobo sensors with impitool for example inside VM.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, uldise said:

i have some Ubuntu VMs under ESXi, and all the sensors are the same as yours

That is very reassuring, this is my first time playing around with esxi and VM's, I'm sure its something simple that I over looked.  I havent configured anything for IPMI.  Is there a way to check the coretemp in esxi, or do I have to look somewhere in bios? 

7 minutes ago, seanap said:

That is very reassuring, this is my first time playing around with esxi and VM's, I'm sure its something simple that I over looked.  I havent configured anything for IPMI.  Is there a way to check the coretemp in esxi, or do I have to look somewhere in bios? 

i don't think coretemp will work from VM inside, so:

First, look in bios for BMC LAN Configuration, configure it, and then read sensors inside VM with:

ipmitool -H <ip> -U <usr> -P <psw> sensor list all

• Upvote 1

So I have been debating upgrading my e3 1241 v3 to a pair of E5 2670. But I also see the E5 2660 v2 pair is only 70 dollars more than the 2670. My question is would it be worth the extra 70 dollars for a newer cpu with 10 cores? 

I got flooded and lost a server with dual 2670 cpu, 128gb RAM, S2600CP2 mb in Intel P4000 cases.

I need to value this for an insurance claim.  What would an equivalent ready built dual Xeon server cost.  Thankfully drives were not installed...

1 hour ago, tr0910 said:

I got flooded and lost a server with dual 2670 cpu, 128gb RAM, S2600CP2 mb in Intel P4000 cases.

I need to value this for an insurance claim.  What would an equivalent ready built dual Xeon server cost.  Thankfully drives were not installed...

You are probably going to need to submit an estimate to build from a vendor, since it's pretty much a custom item. I would ask your adjuster what exactly they want to see from you to validate your valuation. They may be thinking personal computer ~$300 to ~$500, and when you hit them with a $2000+ estimate for a refurbished equivalent they may balk a little. http://amzn.com/B01F1GM0IW 

17 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You are probably going to need to submit an estimate to build from a vendor, since it's pretty much a custom item. I would ask your adjuster what exactly they want to see from you to validate your valuation. They may be thinking personal computer ~$300 to ~$500, and when you hit them with a $2000+ estimate for a refurbished equivalent they may balk a little. http://amzn.com/B01F1GM0IW 

Thanks, this is perfect.  No I expect that they will balk at more than this server.  But it's a fight I have to fight.  And they can be thankful that I don't claim for a new one.  Could be $50,000 for a tricked out current gen server. 

Intel, though gougeth mightily....

Also  there is this one too...

http://a.co/3DnB0Xk

7 hours ago, tr0910 said:

Thanks, this is perfect.  No I expect that they will balk at more than this server.  But it's a fight I have to fight.  And they can be thankful that I don't claim for a new one.  Could be $50,000 for a tricked out current gen server. 

Intel, though gougeth mightily....

Also  there is this one too...

http://a.co/3DnB0Xk

I'm not sure how home insurance works there but here they would be responsible for a new server of equivalent specs not a refurbished one.  I'd hit them up with what that server cost new at the time and go from there.  Could work out well for you actually.   

Most insurance in the UK have a single item value limit. So unless you specifically tell them they would only pay out whatever that limit is.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

.4Lots of people in this topic purchased the SC2600 from Natex -- have you been able to upgrade unRaid?

I'm stuck on 6.2.4 -- have tried upgrading to 6.3 several times and always get a kernel panic error and then I have to roll-back to 6.2.4.

Am I alone on this or have others had this issue? If yes how did solve it?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Naldinho said:

.4Lots of people in this topic purchased the SC2600 from Natex -- have you been able to upgrade unRaid?

I'm stuck on 6.2.4 -- have tried upgrading to 6.3 several times and always get a kernel panic error and then I have to roll-back to 6.2.4.

I have that same board and have not had those issues. Maybe try to backup your flash drive and then update with a clean flash drive?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Naldinho said:

5 hours ago, Bungy said:

I have that same board and have not had those issues. Maybe try to backup your flash drive and then update with a clean flash drive?

I had this same issue. Bungy is correct, trying a new flash drive (different brand) should get rid of the kernel panic and allow you to update.

Edited by jtech007

On 8/30/2017 at 10:12 AM, Naldinho said:

Thank you. I'll try that.

Did that help?  I have a different motherboard/processor but since 6.3 lots of kernel panics.  I replaces motherboard, CPU, RAM, starting to feel fruitless lol.