[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

Hello, I hope that this is the correct place to post this question.

I am having difficulty getting Binhex-sabnzbdvpn to open with VPN on.

Binhex-sabnzbdvpn opens and works fine when the VPN is turned off in settings.

(As an aside I installed NZBGETVPN with VPN and that worked fine).

I first started getting errors about missing files in /Binhex-sabnzbdvpn/openvpn/ so I copied ca.crt,crl.pem,credentials.conf and Netherlands.ovpn here but now I am getting the error "2017-08-09 20:25:58,517 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [CMD-LINE]:1: auth-user-pass (2.4.1)".

I have opened and checked the files and don't seem to see any configuration errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

17 minutes ago, llysowain said:

Hello, I hope that this is the correct place to post this question.

I am having difficulty getting Binhex-sabnzbdvpn to open with VPN on.

Binhex-sabnzbdvpn opens and works fine when the VPN is turned off in settings.

(As an aside I installed NZBGETVPN with VPN and that worked fine).

I first started getting errors about missing files in /Binhex-sabnzbdvpn/openvpn/ so I copied ca.crt,crl.pem,credentials.conf and Netherlands.ovpn here but now I am getting the error "2017-08-09 20:25:58,517 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:

Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [CMD-LINE]:1: auth-user-pass (2.4.1)".

I have opened and checked the files and don't seem to see any configuration errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

in the gui, I'm getting:

ERROR 9 minutes ago [11/Aug/2017:23:41:13] ENGINE Error in HTTPServer.tick
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/sabnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 2024, in start
    self.tick()
  File "/opt/sabnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 2091, in tick
    s, ssl_env = self.ssl_adapter.wrap(s)
  File "/opt/sabnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/ssl_builtin.py", line 67, in wrap
    server_side=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 363, in wrap_socket
    _context=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 611, in __init__
    self.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 840, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
error: [Errno 0] Error

in the gui, I'm getting:

ERROR 9 minutes ago [11/Aug/2017:23:41:13] ENGINE Error in HTTPServer.tick
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/sabnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 2024, in start
    self.tick()
  File "/opt/sabnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 2091, in tick
    s, ssl_env = self.ssl_adapter.wrap(s)
  File "/opt/sabnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/ssl_builtin.py", line 67, in wrap
    server_side=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 363, in wrap_socket
    _context=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 611, in __init__
    self.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 840, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
error: [Errno 0] Error

It's a known issue with sabnzbd, devs are aware, just ignore it for now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hello,
I get "[crit] Missing OpenVPN configuration file in /config/openvpn/" every time the container starts. Looking in the folder, it is indeed empty. Is this normal?
It's normal for a new install, yes. You need to download your VPN providers openvpn configuration file and cert and put them in that folder

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Quick question.

I'm using SlickVPN custom setup on this container on Unraid.

My internet speed is 250Mb/s and when I run certain OpenVN files I don't seem to get any speed drop at all (I get the same as I get not on the VPN 23.5MB/s). I'm based in London and say I use the London or Copenhagen OpenVPN I get this speed however if I use something like Madrid I do get a speed drop to around 13MB/s so Privoxy must be working.

I'm worried that the OpenVPN files that are providing me maximum download speed aren't working correctly. Is there anything I should look for in the debug supervisor.log to confirm these OpenVPN files are 100% connected in Sab?

I'm able to point my Windows proxy to the SabNZBD/Privoxy local IP address and confirm I get a new Proxied IP address so it looks like it's working.

Hopefully this isn't confusing..

Thanks

2 hours ago, ewarwoowar said:

My internet speed is 250Mb/s and when I run certain OpenVN files I don't seem to get any speed drop at al

good isnt it :-), so there is no grey area here, if the vpn tunnel is established you will be able to access the web ui, if you cant access the web ui then the tunnel is not working, this is true as long as VPN_ENABLED = yes, its a simple as that.

1 minute ago, binhex said:

good isnt it :-), so there is no grey area here, if the vpn tunnel is established you will be able to access the web ui, if you cant access the web ui then the tunnel is not working, this is true as long as VPN_ENABLED = yes, its a simple as that.

Great stuff, just what I want to hear. Thanks for the reply!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having some strange speed issues that I can't seem to figure out.

I have been using this container for about a month now with zero issues up until now. Essentially, my speeds are much, much slower than they should be and I have taken several troubleshooting steps, but to no avail.

1) I checked my internet speed which is supposed to be 200 mb/s (bits, not bytes) down. However, the best I can get from this container is about 600 KB/s (bytes, not bits). Up until this happened, I would get from 100 mb/s to 180 mb/s which is fine, considering all the traffic is tunneling through the VPN. I ran a speedtest on several devices, including my unRAID box and they got max speed.

Conclusion: Internet speed is fine

2) I checked my VPN provider  (UnlimitedVPN) to see if was being throttled. This was challenging, and I never got 100% proof, but I asked support and they said no, and I was able to torrent large files using the same VPN connection. But, I wasn't convinced, so I signed up for 3-day trial of NordVPN. I installed the .ovpn files into the container and it connected, but lo and behold, I still got crappy speed (<1 MB/s). 

Conclusion: VPN Provider is fine

3) I checked my Usenet provider (usenetserver.com) to see if I was being throttled. Support assured me they don't throttle anyone for anything, but I tried setting up the linuxserver NABGET (not SABnzbd) container to try out a different setup. To my surprise, I immediately got full speeds nearing my bandwidth capacity (about 24 MB/s).

Conclusion: Usenet provider is fine

4) I checked to see what I was downloading wasn't affecting the process. "Certain" downloads from usenet can result in slow speeds, so I tried something I figured shouldn't get slowed for any reason... I tried download Ubuntu 17 and got the same sucky speeds. However, on my new (temporary) NZBGET instance, I got full speed again.

Conclusion: Files being downloaded are fine

5) I finally disabled the VPN on my SABnzbdVPN container and *STILL* got the same crappy speeds.

Conclusion: Something is wrong with the container; either with my configuration or some bug with sab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Noah Tatum
18 hours ago, Noah Tatum said:

I am having some strange speed issues that I can't seem to figure out.

I have been using this container for about a month now with zero issues up until now. Essentially, my speeds are much, much slower than they should be and I have taken several troubleshooting steps, but to no avail.

1) I checked my internet speed which is supposed to be 200 mb/s (bits, not bytes) down. However, the best I can get from this container is about 600 KB/s (bytes, not bits). Up until this happened, I would get from 100 mb/s to 180 mb/s which is fine, considering all the traffic is tunneling through the VPN. I ran a speedtest on several devices, including my unRAID box and they got max speed.

Conclusion: Internet speed is fine

2) I checked my VPN provider  (UnlimitedVPN) to see if was being throttled. This was challenging, and I never got 100% proof, but I asked support and they said no, and I was able to torrent large files using the same VPN connection. But, I wasn't convinced, so I signed up for 3-day trial of NordVPN. I installed the .ovpn files into the container and it connected, but lo and behold, I still got crappy speed (<1 MB/s). 

Conclusion: VPN Provider is fine

3) I checked my Usenet provider (usenetserver.com) to see if I was being throttled. Support assured me they don't throttle anyone for anything, but I tried setting up the linuxserver NABGET (not SABnzbd) container to try out a different setup. To my surprise, I immediately got full speeds nearing my bandwidth capacity (about 24 MB/s).

Conclusion: Usenet provider is fine

4) I checked to see what I was downloading wasn't affecting the process. "Certain" downloads from usenet can result in slow speeds, so I tried something I figured shouldn't get slowed for any reason... I tried download Ubuntu 17 and got the same sucky speeds. However, on my new (temporary) NZBGET instance, I got full speed again.

Conclusion: Files being downloaded are fine

5) I finally disabled the VPN on my SABnzbdVPN container and *STILL* got the same crappy speeds.

Conclusion: Something is wrong with the container; either with my configuration or some bug with sab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

well you've def done your homework, but i am confident the issue is not related to the container, as can be seen by the post only a couple or so above this one,  this user is actually worried as his dl speeds were too HIGH and thus was concerned the vpn tunnel wasn't operational  (it was) :-)

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/44119-support-binhex-sabnzbdvpn/?do=findComment&comment=587340

so with that in mind i would assume the issue is misconfiguration, can you please follow the procedure below:-

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=435831

Edited by binhex
On 21/09/2017 at 3:13 AM, Noah Tatum said:

@binhex Here is the log file. I couldn't find anything odd, even after turning on DEBUG, but hopefully you can see something!

Thanks.

debug.txt

im afraid you're right, i couldnt see anything of any use there, so my only thoughts is that one of the possible issues you checked is causing the problem.

so i just want to clarify the below, are you saying that slow speeds happened suddenly?, as in it was fine up until a certain date and then it suddenly changed to a crawl?,

On 19/09/2017 at 6:42 PM, Noah Tatum said:

I have been using this container for about a month now with zero issues up until now. Essentially, my speeds are much, much slower than they should be

if it did happen suddenly then the finger of blame points at your isp, usenet or vpn provider, its very hard to say which one is causing the issue, so lets break this down a bit:-

1. set vpn_enabled to 'no' then kick off a download via sab, if you get good speeds then this tells you our usenet provider is ok, it however does not rule out your isp throttling, as they could be throttling vpn traffic, so....

2. set vpn_enabled to 'yes' and try connecting to another endpoint (if your vpn provider has another one), also if your vpn provider has this possibility, try switching from udp to tcp, if this makes a difference then chances are your isp is throttling traffic, if not then....

3. try switching to another vpn provider, my recommendation is either airvpn, or pia, both have a bucket load of bandwidth and def do NOT throttle.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, PheonixLolz said:

Hi,

I am having trouble starting the container.

It gives me a fatal error and then it exits.

Hope you can help!

supervisord.log

its due to the vpn provider attempting to use ipv6, taken from log:-

Fri Oct  6 16:41:31 2017 Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2

thats the problem in short, you can attempt to disable ipv6 by editing your ovpn file and adding in the following, then save and restart the container:-

pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"

that MIGHT fix it, depends on the provider and whether they are forcing you to use ipv6 or not.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Alphairri said:

I manually resolved the server address to an IP and put that in the ovpn file and it works fine. Any idea why the name won't resolve? I'd rather keep the url there to resolve in the case the server ever changes IP. Not likely, but better so I don't have to change it if it does.

so looking at your log i would say you have dns issues on your host, try dropping to command line on your host and pinging www.google.com, i am expecting it NOT to be able to resolve this, if thats true then you need to fix this first before you can progress.

Hey Binhex, I updated the container this morning and I cannot get to the console. The supervisord.log is filled with the following error:

2017-10-28 06:06:39,482 DEBG 'privoxy-script' stderr output:
/home/nobody/getvpnip.sh: line 12: awk: command not found

I have attached a sanitized supervisord.log. Any help you could provide is appreciated. Thanks!

supervisord.log