Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

9 minutes ago, rh535 said:

I removed the preclear plugin and that did not make a difference. 

SMART report for drive Sony_Storage_Media_9B5001508030025912-0-0-20171104-1130.

smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.30-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sda: Unknown USB bridge [0x054c:0x02a5 (0x100)]
Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Could this be the issue?  Someone more knowledgeable about USB devices might be able to help.  UD depends on Linux to recognize the device and for udev to pick it up and report it to UD.

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

Can you force a device into standby mode, using hdparm -y /dev/sdX and read its status using hdparm -C /dev/sdX, do you see its status change?

It is not normal that devices spin up by accessing the VM page.

I will report back when I get a chance to run some more diagnostics. I will try to do a quick video clip that demonstrates the issue. One thing I have not mentioned is that so far my entire boot setup was legacy and that I consider switching to UEFI. I don't think it might make a difference, but just stating for completeness sake. 

Edited by Matt173
14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

SMART report for drive Sony_Storage_Media_9B5001508030025912-0-0-20171104-1130.

smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.30-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sda: Unknown USB bridge [0x054c:0x02a5 (0x100)]
Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Could this be the issue?  Someone more knowledgeable about USB devices might be able to help.  UD depends on Linux to recognize the device and for udev to pick it up and report it to UD.

The Sony flash drive has UnRaid on it. That's not my external drive if that matters.

The recent update to UD (2017.11.02) causes error messages to be added to the syslog when SMB/NFS servers that it knows about happen to be offline:

Nov 5 00:55:47 Lapulapu unassigned.devices: Error: SMB/NFS server 'Drobo5N' appears to be off-line. Be sure the server responds to a 'ping' so Unassigned Devices can verify the server is on-line.

I know you've been working on improving the detection of online/offline status along with which versions of SMB are supported by servers but I preferred it when offline servers didn't cause these error messages. I know the server in question is offline and UD indicates that status quite adequately by means of a grey ball,

59fe6c72c7248_OfflineSMBServer.thumb.png.49f6e678ce5b2dcb556b49740a1c53fb.png

so I know not to try to mount it before I've brought it online. The thing is, the error message is added every time I refresh the Main page (I don't use tabbed view).

7 hours ago, John_M said:

The recent update to UD (2017.11.02) causes error messages to be added to the syslog when SMB/NFS servers that it knows about happen to be offline:

Nov 5 00:55:47 Lapulapu unassigned.devices: Error: SMB/NFS server 'Drobo5N' appears to be off-line. Be sure the server responds to a 'ping' so Unassigned Devices can verify the server is on-line.

I know you've been working on improving the detection of online/offline status along with which versions of SMB are supported by servers but I preferred it when offline servers didn't cause these error messages. I know the server in question is offline and UD indicates that status quite adequately by means of a grey ball,

59fe6c72c7248_OfflineSMBServer.thumb.png.49f6e678ce5b2dcb556b49740a1c53fb.png

so I know not to try to mount it before I've brought it online. The thing is, the error message is added every time I refresh the Main page (I don't use tabbed view).

Next release will only show the off-line message when the remote share is mounted.

37 minutes ago, liquid_static said:

Ok so I’m having some trouble formatting an NVME drive. When I try to do so I get a “Format Failed...” error and am unable to mount the drive. 

the log log just says this:  Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'btrfs' filesystem failed!

Any ideas? I’m on the latest version of unraid with a Ryzen system.

Post diagnostics.

Not possible to format a fresh nvme drive to btrfs? (I want to format and mount ahead of time so I can copy my current cache contents over before removing the original cache drive)

Nov 12 09:44:43 theark unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'btrfs' filesystem.
Nov 12 09:44:43 theark unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'btrfs' filesystem result: btrfs-progs v4.7.2 See http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org for more information. 
Nov 12 09:44:43 theark unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'btrfs' filesystem failed!
Nov 12 09:45:04 theark rc.diskinfo[8174]: PHP Warning: Missing argument 2 for force_reload() in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 691

theark-diagnostics-20171112-0958.zip

Edited by cybrnook
11 hours ago, liquid_static said:

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.48.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.59.54 PM.png

Is this a new disk?  I would try a few things.

- Try formatting another file system like XFS or ext4.

- Use preclear to check out the disk and see what it comes up with.  See if it can read the complete disk.

- Try to format the disk on another computer OS.  Windows?

11 hours ago, dlandon said:

- Use preclear to check out the disk and see what it comes up with.  See if it can read the complete disk.

The disk preclears fine. I installed the disk in a windows machine and formatted it to NTFS. At that point I am allowed to click the mount button though it doesn't seem like that actually mounts the disk. I am unable to change the path of the disk or use it for anything. The disk isn't new, it was used for a previous windows install.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 1.24.44 PM.png

Edited by liquid_static
38 minutes ago, liquid_static said:

The disk preclears fine. I installed the disk in a windows machine and formatted it to NTFS. At that point I am allowed to click the mount button though it doesn't seem like that actually mounts the disk. I am unable to change the path of the disk or use it for anything. The disk isn't new, it was used for a previous windows install.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 1.24.44 PM.png

Post diagnostics again.

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

guardian-diagnostics-20171113-1719.zip

Edited by liquid_static

Lately (admittedly I'm still on 6.4-rc10b - haven't had a chance to update to rc11/12), I've been plagued every couple of days with docker containers randomly stopping, and upon a restart of the container getting a rather vague "Server Execution Error".

Closer examination has revealed that the problem with the containers is with any mounts made by Unassigned Devices to a SMB mount.  The problem surfaces as this:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="ubooquity" --net="bridge" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "MAXMEM"="512" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 2202:2202/tcp -p 2203:2203/tcp -v "/mnt/disks/SERVER_B_EBooks/":"/books":ro,slave -v "/mnt/user/appdata/ubooquity":"/config":rw linuxserver/ubooquity
809146f36174dc21db5792f8ebb949236ca3dc9024a75a9e70099021f594de7f
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: linux mounts: lstat /mnt/disks/SERVER_B_EBooks: stale NFS file handle.
root@Server_A:~# cd /mnt/disks
root@Server_A:/mnt/disks# ls
/bin/ls: cannot access 'SERVER_B_BackupDocuments': Stale file handle
/bin/ls: cannot access 'SERVER B AudioBooks': Stale file handle
/bin/ls: cannot access 'SERVER_B_EBooks': Stale file handle
/bin/ls: cannot access 'SERVER_B_Television': Stale file handle
/bin/ls: cannot access 'SERVER_B_MusicLibrary': Stale file handle
SERVER\ B\ AudioBooks/  SERVER_B_BackupDocuments/  SERVER_B_EBooks/  SERVER_B_Movies/  SERVER_B_MusicLibrary/  SERVER_B_Television/  SERVER_B_flash/
root@Server_A:/mnt/disks# cd SERVER_B_EBooks
root@Server_A:/mnt/disks/SERVER_B_EBooks# ls
/bin/ls: cannot open directory '.': Stale file handle
root@Server_A:/mnt/disks/SERVER_B_EBooks#

A reboot fixes this.

Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
  • trurl pinned this topic