Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 12/04/2017 at 3:13 PM, johnnie.black said:

If you need to recover data see the FAQ to try and mount read only or use btrfs restore, if data is not important might as well format it.

That's worked a treat, made life a bit easier managing to get the data off, but wouldn't have been the end of the world if I'd lost it.  Thanks @johnnie.black

I'm ashamed to say I hadn't looked at that FAQ before, wealth of information.  I guess I've been lucky as never run into any issues before in all these years.  Took a while to post back here as work, life etc....

2 hours ago, CHBMB said:

That's worked a treat, made life a bit easier managing to get the data off, but wouldn't have been the end of the world if I'd lost it.  Thanks @johnnie.black

I'm ashamed to say I hadn't looked at that FAQ before, wealth of information.  I guess I've been lucky as never run into any issues before in all these years.  Took a while to post back here as work, life etc....

And you complain when people doesn't read the first post for info.... 9_9 xD

17 minutes ago, saarg said:

And you complain when people doesn't read the first post for info.... 

Yeah, drive management isn't my strongest Unraid topic, and I did google and search the error message before I posted.   But you're right  it's inexcusable.  I offer this public apology to all concerned.

Unassigned Devices allows you to mount and share disk drives that are not managed as part of the array.  Some users are mounting a drive specifically for Dockers and/or VMs rather than having them on a cache or array drive.  You can also mount a UNC share on another system (SMB or NFS) and have it show in the unRAID shares when browsing the unRAID shares with Windows.  This is called SMB Mount.  The UNC path is mounted locally and shared as a \\Tower share.

Access to Unassigned Devices shares defaults to Public with everyone having read/write access.  User access can be enabled in the Unassigned Devices Settings.  Access can be enabled by user for read/write, read only, or no access to Unassigned Devices shares.

Hi,

I have a folder on a drive connected to my Windows machine. I want to be able to mount this folder in unRAID so I can use it as a Crashplan destination.When I add the share in Unassigned Devices, it loads but does not mount. I do not have any user names in unRAID. The folder is shared with "Everyone" read/write in Windows. I also tried creating a user and trying to mount with a user/pw. with the same results.

oNIJiZk.png

b9tnwKj.png

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

H.

6 hours ago, hernandito said:

Hi,

I have a folder on a drive connected to my Windows machine. I want to be able to mount this folder in unRAID so I can use it as a Crashplan destination.When I add the share in Unassigned Devices, it loads but does not mount. I do not have any user names in unRAID. The folder is shared with "Everyone" read/write in Windows. I also tried creating a user and trying to mount with a user/pw. with the same results.

oNIJiZk.png

b9tnwKj.png

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

H.

What does the UD log say?

2 hours ago, Smitty2k1 said:

Is there a way to check SMART with unassigned devices and an external USB HDD? I get "can't read SMART attributes" when I click on the drive name.

Cross posting this to Dynamix.

I am not sure about unassigned devices, but know that the smartctl program (the underlying tool all unRAID tools use to get SMART data) DOES have support for SOME USB chips. I was trying to do a preclear from an external enclosure couple years back, and tried the USB options and got one to work. I proceeded to patch the preclear script to use that option (not recommended for the casual user), and used it to preclear that disk.

Below is the relevant option from smartctl ...

-d TYPE, --device=TYPE
         Specify device type to one of: ata, scsi, sat[,auto][,N][+TYPE], usbcypress[,X], usbjmicron[,p][,x][,N], usbsunplus, marvell, areca,N/E, 3ware,N, hpt,L/M/N, megaraid,N, cciss,N, auto, test

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting these errors lately quite much. Share is accessible from other computer(s)

May 4 03:09:34 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -104 sending data on socket to server
May 4 03:09:34 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -32 sending data on socket to server
May 4 03:09:34 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -32 sending data on socket to server
May 4 03:11:56 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Server WIN8 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
May 4 03:11:56 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -11
May 4 03:11:56 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -104 sending data on socket to server
May 4 03:12:37 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -104 sending data on socket to server

Because of the limited space in /var/log, I have moved the device script logs to /tmp/unassigned.devices/ in the latest version.  If you have a device script log you want to preserve, go to the command line and move the log from /var/log/ to /tmp/unassigned.devices, or use MC or other file manager to move the device script log files.

16 hours ago, ufo56 said:

I'm getting these errors lately quite much. Share is accessible from other computer(s)

May 4 03:09:34 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -104 sending data on socket to server
May 4 03:11:56 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Server WIN8 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
May 4 03:11:56 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -11
May 4 03:11:56 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -104 sending data on socket to server
May 4 03:12:37 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -104 sending data on socket to server

That appears to be a SMB or network issue with the client computer.

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Because of the limited space in /var/log, I have moved the device script logs to /tmp/unassigned.devices/ in the latest version.  If you have a device script log you want to preserve, go to the command line and move the log from /var/log/ to /tmp/unassigned.devices, or use MC or other file manager to move the device script log files.

Wait, I thought both /var/log and /tmp are both tmpfs with the same size initially?

22 minutes ago, ken-ji said:

Wait, I thought both /var/log and /tmp are both tmpfs with the same size initially?

Nope.

/var/log is 128MB

/ is half of RAM, and can grow and shrink as needed, IIRC.

That was changed some time ago to keep a runaway log from sucking up all RAM and crashing the system.

For my plugins that have major log requirements (appdata backup) I put everything into /var/lib/docker where I can count on having gigs of available space and it's persistent also (but fall back to /tmp if docker isn't available)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hi,

There is a problem with UD drives and System notifications enabled.

If System notifications are enabled, UD drives won't spin down.

If i try to spin down an UD drive with hdparm -y /dev/sd* it spins up a few seconds later again.

Raid drives do not show this behaviour and will spin down accordingly to the spindown setting.

It seems that when System notifications are enabled, there's a regular polling of SMART values like temperature etc.

While the RAID drives can handle this accordingly and won't spin up, the UD drives are spinning up---

Please fix it.

cya

3 hours ago, amigenius said:

Hi,

There is a problem with UD drives and System notifications enabled.

If System notifications are enabled, UD drives won't spin down.

If i try to spin down an UD drive with hdparm -y /dev/sd* it spins up a few seconds later again.

Raid drives do not show this behaviour and will spin down accordingly to the spindown setting.

It seems that when System notifications are enabled, there's a regular polling of SMART values like temperature etc.

While the RAID drives can handle this accordingly and won't spin up, the UD drives are spinning up---

Please fix it.

cya

Please read the second post about drives spinning up.  Some drives will spin up when queried about their standby status.

Hi,

they won't spin up when requesting standby status via hdparm.

Already tested it.

So that's not the reason why they're spinning up when UD and system reports are enabled.

And if UD is disabled, they spin down with system reports enabled.

So it's cleary a bug in UD.

cya

Edited by amigenius
5 minutes ago, amigenius said:

Hi,

they won't spin up when requesting standby status via hdparm.

Already tested it.

So that's not the reason why they're spinning up when system reports are enabled.

And if UD is disabled, they spin down with system reports enabled.

So it's cleary a bug in UD.

cya

I don't see how it's a bug in UD.  UD has nothing to do with the notifications and I don't think the UD drives are scanned by the notification scan.

What type of drives are you seeing spinning up?

Just now, dlandon said:

I don't see how it's a bug in UD.  UD has nothing to do with the notifications and I don't think the UD drives are scanned by the notification scan.

What type of drives are you seeing spinning up?

Hi,

I think the problem is, that unRaid checks all drives regulary (i think 5 or 10 second interval based on observation of spin ups) when system notifications are on so that unRaid can immediatly send warning notifications via email etc.

The problem is, that these checks are somehow incompatible to the UD plugin, causing the drives to spin up.

All drives are 4TB Seagate drives mounted as NTFS drives.

cya

23 minutes ago, amigenius said:

Hi,

I think the problem is, that unRaid checks all drives regulary (i think 5 or 10 second interval based on observation of spin ups) when system notifications are on so that unRaid can immediatly send warning notifications via email etc.

The problem is, that these checks are somehow incompatible to the UD plugin, causing the drives to spin up.

All drives are 4TB Seagate drives mounted as NTFS drives.

cya

I don't see the problem on my system.  Drives spin down with no problem.  If you have the drives mounted and shared, there may be a client computer scanning the disks regularly causing a spin up.  Turn off the Share switch and see if the drive stays spun down.  Are you using the cache_dirs plugin?

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, dlandon said:

I don't see the problem on my system.  Drives spin down with no problem.  If you have the drives mounted and shared, there may be a client computer scanning the disks regularly causing a spin up.  Turn off the Share switch and see if the drive stays spun down.  Are you using the cache_dirs plugin?

Hi,

I already tried turning off directory cache and shares and dockers.

I also installed the file activity plugin, which displayed no activity on the NTSF drives,

And just to be sure that i'm not wrong, i reenabled system notifications and guess what happend?

poof... all NTFS drives spon up immediatly.

I attached the settings which are causing this behaviour.

cya

settings.JPG

• trurl pinned this topic