Using VMWare in Windows for UnRAID?

Hello

I am wondering on how I can virtualize UnRaid in Freenas, I am doing this for testing reasons only! I want to check out UnRaid, before I maybe switch to it.

Since there is no ISO file for UnRaid, this is becoming a challenge for me, and I need some help.

How can I do this?  :)

Edit: Thread changed to VMWare in windows from VirtualMachine in FreeNAS

This became a bit hard for me, if someone don't know how to do it, I will do it on vmware istead.

I am trying to add my usb device to my vm, but I can't. I only get the controller and not the device itself up (yes, I have added the controller first).

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vmadmin.doc_41/vsp_vm_guide/configuring_virtual_machines/t_add_a_passthrough_usb_device_to_vm.html

wJpr991.png

Is the USB device being passed through with the name UNRAID, I don't know how Virtualbox works but in KVM you boot from a virtual disk but during the boot process it looks for a USB device called UNRAID for the licensing keys. (That can be a trial key)  If no USB key is found called UNRAID (capitalisation is important) then it will boot but essentially be unusable...

The USB device is not passed through, I have created a .vmdk file that points to the physical drive.

I have named the .vmdk file as UNRAID and the USB device as UNRAID.

I don't think I can pass through usb devices on boot with VirtualBox, but I am not sure.

I can't add a USB device in Storage, only the controller that allows me to add a virtual hard disk.

RukFVtq.png

How do you do that?

Is it easier if I use VmWare?

Is the USB device being passed through with the name UNRAID, I don't know how Virtualbox works but in KVM you boot from a virtual disk but during the boot process it looks for a USB device called UNRAID for the licensing keys. (That can be a trial key)  If no USB key is found called UNRAID (capitalisation is important) then it will boot but essentially be unusable...

ESXI is well documented on how to virtualise Unraid and a few people actively use it, I've never done so myself, but yeah, I think you'd have more luck.

The USB key needs to be passed through, not a virtual USB key created, I think there are differences which is perhaps why you're having trouble....

I can't get this to work, I am trying to use the plop boot manager to boot from my usb device. Then I start the VM, VmWare tells me that I can reach my usb drive, but it does not show up in plop boot manger.

You might want to read the "Atlas" thread (compulsive design I believe)

My fault, forgot to connect the USB device from the menu when running the vm.

I can't connect to the server/vm with web now, probably something I have done wrong, but I don't know what.  >:(

g6zv1Qe.png

dbN4Kfo.png

Also tried to change the network settings (network.cfg), but that did not help.

USE_DHCP=no
IPADDR=192.168.1.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

I think the title of VirtualBox will put a lot of people off as it's not supported.

Try asking in one of the ESXI threads about how to achieve what you want.  Also, as you're only contemplating Unraid and not actually using it, it may curtail people's enthusiasm to spend a lot of time on this, when the end result may well be you deciding it's not for you...

Just a thought.

Thank you, updated the thread title.

Ok, I will if I don't get an answear here first ;)

Yeah, I can understand that. Since I have been strugeling with this, the more I have read about UnRaid, I really like it and think I will switch to it. I just want to test it before I start backup my media at home (slow to download everthing from the internet again), and take down my server that is running now.