[Plugin] unbalanced

Yep, it selects "To" check-box by default for every drive, but, my newest (emptiest) drive.  For that one, it has "From" selected by default.

What I mean by fighting with me is.  If I begin unselecting the "To" check-boxes, when I get to the newest drive to deselect "From", it won't let me, clicking the checkbox does nothing.  Would it be rude to request/suggest a "deselect all" and "select all" box above the to and from columns? :P

It behaves goofy.  Then when I am able to wrangle proper response, having all "to" deselected, and then somehow (its sporadic) manage to select "to" for the empty drive, I'll select a drive as the "From", things go well, I can select the share/folder for that drive.  Peachy.  Though when I go to the next drive and select "From", bam, it re-selects "To" for every drive on the list not marked as "From".

I'm about to head out to a friends house for BBQ and the fight.  But, later on I can and will gladly make a small video of its behavior if that would help beyond my explanations above.

I'm using the latest version of FF in case it is a browser "thing" going on.

unbalance.jpg

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, grandprix said:

Yep, it selects "To" check-box by default for every drive, but, my newest (emptiest) drive.  For that one, it has "From" selected by default.

Actually, I mixed up. That's the default behavior. Most free space disk "from" checked, all other disks "to" checked.

The idea is you probably want to free your more empty disk by transferring to all other disks.

This is just an initial suggestion, you can change it by selecting/deselecting other disks.

55 minutes ago, grandprix said:

Would it be rude to request/suggest a "deselect all" and "select all" box above the to and from columns?

It doesn't make sense for the "to" column, as per below.

51 minutes ago, grandprix said:

It behaves goofy

It doesn't behave goofy.

In SCATTER (and as itimpi mentioned), you can only have one source disk.

As soon as you click on any "from" disk, it automatically deselects all others. There can be only one :)

If a disk has its "from" checked, and you click on it, it will do nothing (it's a no-op).

It will not transfer from multiple source disks, because that's not the purpose of this function (again, talking about SCATTER).

If you follow the steps from the Quick Start, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, grandprix said:

I've revisited this plugin time to time and each time, I well "don't get it."

I'll explain the best that I can.  "Scatter"  -  this makes sense and seems like the "option?" that I would like to use.  I've added a hard drive to the array.  It's relatively empty (besides the newest few grabs, all TV eps.).

Upon accessing the GUI, I'm presented with my entire array, however, every disk (including the Cache, is there an option to ignore the cache?  I use my SSD cache only for dockers) has "to" selected and the newest emptiest drive has "from" selected.  This seems backwards from my perhaps flawed logic.  Then the GUI seems to fight against me (in an insistent manner, borderline annoyingly) when attempting to deselect the "to" check-boxes, insisting on keeping my emptiest (new) hard drive with its "from" check-boxed.  Ugg?

Is this a passive plugin or active?  Meaning, do I actually have to initiate any and all moves this thing will do?  Or is it active, constantly running and making adjustments as deemed necessary?  If the latter, then I certainly dont it to move files from my least filled to all the others that are much closer to being filled.

25 pages is a bit to read though, though I'm doing so now, however, in the meantime and in case those questions aren't answered anywhere in the thread, I figured I'd ask.  I appreciate the time and effort put into this, don't misread my seemingly critical questions.  They're not I assure you.

This plugin requires you to manually set things to move. It won't just move things on its own.

In regards to moving things to a new hard drive, it depends on how you want to move the data. I just used gather to group my shows to individual hard drives and moves some of them in full to my empty disk to spread out my data.

Last night I set up a Gather operation that said 33 hours to complete (it's big). I went to bed and when I woke up, it had stopped. 

The log said it crapped out on moving a .DS_Store file (I'm on a Mac). Is it typical to just stop operation entirely on a 33 hour long job because it hit one file it didn't like?

It would be much better to proceed and note the anomaly.

5 hours ago, ksignorini said:

Is it typical to just stop operation entirely

To be honest, that's a good question.

The bottom line is that it stopped because rsync itself threw an error, so the app reacted by interrupting the operation (in an ordered manner).

.DS_Store is inconsequential, but what if it crapped while transferring "very_important_document.xlsx" ?

If you were doing a move operation and the app just noted the issue, the source would still be deleted and you'd wind up with a potentially corrupted file on the target.

rsync is finicky to say the least, I've skimmed through its code and it shows its age. Not sure if everything it checks applies to modern drives, but it is what it is.

That's why I plan to add an operation history and replay/resume function.

If the operation was interrupted you could take a look at the error, decide how to deal with it and resume the operation.

This will take me some time.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

To be honest, that's a good question.

The bottom line is that it stopped because rsync itself threw an error, so the app reacted by interrupting the operation (in an ordered manner).

.DS_Store is inconsequential, but what if it crapped while transferring "very_important_document.xlsx" ?

If you were doing a move operation and the app just noted the issue, the source would still be deleted and you'd wind up with a potentially corrupted file on the target.

rsync is finicky to say the least, I've skimmed through its code and it shows its age. Not sure if everything it checks applies to modern drives, but it is what it is.

That's why I plan to add an operation history and replay/resume function.

If the operation was interrupted you could take a look at the error, decide how to deal with it and resume the operation.

This will take me some time.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the response! Great application, by the way.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is t here a written procedure on doing xfs conversion using some of the newer features of UnBalance?  I did a a while back with midnight commander following a sticky post and with dual parity and a noob like me it was nerve racking.  I have 3 disks left that are not XFS and have been kind of bidding my time hoping a more "click friendly / noob friendly" procedure would arise.  

• 2 weeks later...

v3.3.3 is available !

2017-09-12 - 3.3.3

It now removes the source parent folder if it's empty after all the transfers take place.

Run a dry-run first to show the command it will attempt after each transfer has finished.

The command line to delete the parent folder is

find <parent folder> -type d -empty -prune -exec rm -rf {} \;

(thanks wreave, this is slight variation of the command he suggested)

This applies to the Gather function only

When run in dry-mode, you will see log lines similar to

Would delete empty folders starting from (%s) - (find "%s" -type d -empty -prune -exec rm -rf {} \;)
WONT DELETE: find "%s" -type d -empty -prune -exec rm -rf {} \;

Hi all.  I was playing with UnBalance yesterday and upon trying a dry-run on a disk, it gives me warning about owners on files not being nobody.  I have my unRaid system joined to an active directory server, which is what I believe makes files owned by the user who created them.  It still complained if I changed the script to "run as" the specific user that owned the files.

Will that be an issue for using unbalance? 

I guess I could always chown -R nobody:nobody on the files and chmod -R 666 before moving them and change them back after?

Thanks!

Can unbalance be invoked as root??

I try to select root as the "other", but it does not stick...

I use Borg backup and it is executed as root...so when when I run calculate before the scatter I get a lot of permission errors...

Will there be an issue if I run without changing the permission son the files first...which I do not want to do because it will mess up my borg backup...

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!!

The message is a warning because if rsync can't transfer a folder/file due to a permission issue, it will throw an error, which will cause unBALANCE to interrupt the operation, and you end up with a partial transfer.

If your files have read access for 'other', you should be able to complete the transfer, but any file/folder that deviates from this, will interrupt the operation.

I'm not allowing unBALANCE to be run as root (and it's been like that since I converted it to a plugin), but I can't remember why :D

• 2 weeks later...

A really nice plugin, thanks.

it would be great if there was a select ALL/deselect ALL.

There also seems to be a small display bug in gather mode.

If i go into gather mode and expand out a share then select an item, it lists the drives that the item appears on - perfect.

So

Item A -  Disk 1

Disk 3

I then select a second Item and then it kind of breaks.

Item A - Disk6

Item B - Disk 1

Disk 3

So it seems to get confused, and puts Item A's drives against the new item selected and puts what should be Item B's drive against the first selected show.

Quite easy to reproduce, let me know if you need anything

4 hours ago, Kilack said:

A really nice plugin, thanks.

Thanks for the kind comment !

So

Item A -  Disk 1

Disk 3

I then select a second Item and then it kind of breaks.

Item A - Disk6

Item B - Disk 1

Disk 3

From memory, it doesn't line up selected items with disks they appear on.

It just lists selected items on one column and drives they appear in another column, so there's no 'horizontal correlation'.

Not sure if that's what you're seeing.

But I'll take a look anyway.

it would be great if there was a select ALL/deselect ALL.

I'll eventually add a select/deselect all for the TO column. Doing it one by one tends to get annoying :) 

12 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

Thanks, one more thing, if you please.

In /usr/local/emhttp/state/disks.ini, what's the fsSize for disk2 ?

At the end of the day, it's a matter of javascript vs php code/math functions.

But then, there's also this O.o

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/60415-odd-size-reporting/

["disk2"]
idx="2"
name="disk2"
device="sde"
id="ST31000340AS_6QJ02Y0F"
size="976762552"
status="DISK_OK"
rotational="1"
luksState="0"
format="MBR: 4K-aligned"
temp="31"
numReads="2422115"
numWrites="22"
numErrors="0"
type="Data"
color="green-on"
exportable="no"
fsType="xfs"
fsStatus="Mounted"
fsColor="green-on"
comment=""
fsSize="976285620"
fsFree="120773864"
spindownDelay="0"
spinupGroup=""
deviceSb="md2"
idSb="ST31000340AS_6QJ02Y0F"
sizeSb="976762552"

Oddly enough the main page of unRAID has the right size reported.

image.thumb.png.690df6f61da453330a857505167d99ed.png

This drive use to be in a machine that had a Gigabyte motherboard in it, I wonder if its messed  with that drive.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it messed with it, I had to remove the HPA from another drive before.

root@Server:/usr/local/emhttp/state# hdparm -N /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
 max sectors   = 1953525168/1953525168, HPA is disabled

Edited by AnnabellaRenee87
[mention=593]jbrodriguez[/mention] quick question, if I only have 1 user account (root) would running this as nobody have any issues?
After its run, do I just need to run the permissions checker and I should be ok?

I often wondered this too. I just run with "nobody" and run Docker Safe Permissions after moving things and wonder if using root would be a good idea or not to avoid running Docker Safe Permissions

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced