[Plugin] unbalanced

Introduction

unbalanced is a plugin to transfer files/folders between disks in your array.

Support Fund

If you wish to do so, learn how to support the developer.

Description

unbalanced helps you manage space in your Unraid array, via two operating modes:

• Scatter

Transfer data out of a disk, into one or more disks

• Gather

Consolidate data from a user share into a single disk

It's versatile and can serve multiple purposes, based on your needs.

Some of the use cases are:

• Empty a disk, in order to change filesystems (read kizer's example)
  • Move all seasons of a tv show into a single disk
  • Move a specific folder from a disk to another disk
  • Split your movies/tv shows/games folder from a disk to other disks
  •  

You'll likely come up with other scenarios as you play around with it.

Installation

- Apps Tab (Community Application)

Go to the Apps tab

Click on the Plugins button (the last one)

Look for unbalanced

Click Install

Running the plugin

After installing the plugin, you can access the web UI, via the following methods:

- Method 1

Go to Settings > Utilities

Click on unbalanced

Click on Open Web UI

- Method 2<br/>

Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins

Click on unbalanced

Click on Open Web UI

- Method 3<br/>

Navigate with your browser to http://Tower:7090/ (replace Tower with the address/name of your unRAID server)<br/>

Check the github page for additional documentation

Changelog

The full changelog can be found here

Edited by jbrodriguez
unbalanced release
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

I've decided to distribute unBALANCE as a plugin rather than a docker.

The main reason is to have better access to unRAID's filesystem, something that is more difficult with Docker (you'd have to mount a lot of volumes and even then, some features would have some issues).

Not that I am against this being released as a plugin, but surely if you had it as a docker with /mnt internally mapped to /mnt externally (and possibly a mapping for /boot) you would have full access to all the physical media?

Having said that since it is basically a script it does not have the sort of dependency issues that are the main reason for NOT installing some apps as a plugin.  It therefore does not put system stability at risk.

The main reason is to have better access to unRAID's filesystem, something that is more difficult with Docker (you'd have to mount a lot of volumes and even then, some features would have some issues).

Not that I am against this being released as a plugin, but surely if you had it as a docker with /mnt internally mapped to /mnt externally (and possibly a mapping for /boot) you would have full access to all the physical media?

Having said that since it is basically a script it does not have the sort of dependency issues that are the main reason for NOT installing some apps as a plugin.  It therefore does not put system stability at risk.

IMHO, I always questioned why unBalance was a docker in the first place.  To me, the function that it performs is philosophically (for lack of a better word) a plugin type rather than a docker.

I have just tried to install the unBALANCE plugin on my Main unRAID server both manually and via CA and unfortunately the installation failed.

The error I just captured from CA is:

plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/unbalance/unbalance-1.2.11.tgz

Looking forward to using the plugin when I can. Looks excellent.

I have just tried to install the unBALANCE plugin on my Main unRAID server both manually and via CA and unfortunately the installation failed.

The error I just captured from CA is:

plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/unbalance/unbalance-1.2.11.tgz

Looking forward to using the plugin when I can. Looks excellent.

Getting the same error

IMHO, I always questioned why unBalance was a docker in the first place.  To me, the function that it performs is philosophically (for lack of a better word) a plugin type rather than a docker.

itimpi,

To use unRAID's notification system from within a Docker, I'd have needed to mount /usr/local, then probably somewhere in /etc, in addition to /mnt, /boot and others like you mentioned.

And even so, there was the issue of Docker volume mapping behaviour:

- It didn't recognize when a disk was formatted or recently installed.

- It didn't recognize Apple Time Machine backups

At the end of the day, either Docker or plugin is just a distribution mechanism. It is easier to create a docker over a plugin, but not by that much. It has to do with docker being more documented.

With CA, the difference between them becomes really blurry.

You also mentioned something very important.

unBALANCE is just a standalone binary that exposes an API interface, it has no dependencies that could bloat the base system.

I've uploaded version 1.2.12.

I'm still learning how the plugin system works, so please bear with me for the next few days  ;D

I've added the settings page, but it's not fully working yet. I'll keep looking into it.

For now, stop/start the array to get the app running, then go to http://IP:6237/

your unbalance.page is trying to put the icon on the UserUtilities menu.  It should actually be Utilities  (That reference tells dynamix to find the Utilities.page file which is an OS file and put the icon there. 

Once that's fixed, then you've got an issue with the size of the icon.  (The icons displayed by dynamix aren't resized automatically and have to be the correct size (I believe 48x48).  Note that this is the local version of the icon.  The URL you use in the template for CA can be any size (as it resizes everything to 96x96)

Installed unBALANCE 1.2.12 on unRAID 6.1.6 and it installs, but can't seem to get it to run when visiting <serverIP>:6237.

Screenshot of the plugin page:

dw7egMbW0d.png

Nothing that I can see in the logs.

I get the same results.

For now, stop/start the array to get the app running, then go to http://IP:6237/

This still does not resolve. I have even tried a reboot, same results. Removing plug-in for now.

I've uploaded version 1.2.12.

I'm still learning how the plugin system works, so please bear with me for the next few days  ;D

I've added the settings page, but it's not fully working yet. I'll keep looking into it.

your unbalance.page is trying to put the icon on the UserUtilities menu.  It should actually be Utilities  (That reference tells dynamix to find the Utilities.page file which is an OS file and put the icon there. 

Once that's fixed, then you've got an issue with the size of the icon.  (The icons displayed by dynamix aren't resized automatically and have to be the correct size (I believe 48x48).  Note that this is the local version of the icon.  The URL you use in the template for CA can be any size (as it resizes everything to 96x96)

Thank you Squid, yeah ... that was part of the problem :)

Nice work lboregard! I'll test moving some data around. The icon sizing needs some work though:

ZBnbSX1URM.png

Thanks jamescarlos !

As for the icon size, I thought I had _specifically_ solved that issue  :o

Is it possible that your browser is reading the old copy of the image (it was that big before).

Can you try a hard refresh (Cmd + R on a Mac, I think it's Ctrl + R on Windows), and let me know if that solves it ?

Nice work lboregard! I'll test moving some data around. The icon sizing needs some work though:

Thanks jamescarlos !

As for the icon size, I thought I had _specifically_ solved that issue  :o

Is it possible that your browser is reading the old copy of the image (it was that big before).

Can you try a hard refresh (Cmd + R on a Mac, I think it's Ctrl + R on Windows), and let me know if that solves it ?

Indeed, it was Chrome that was caching the previous icon. Looks splendid now!

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced