[Plugin] unbalanced

Once the error is logged on a move action, the plugin refuses to restart the process.

Is there a way to remove the log entry?

For some reason, the error 23 appears although the other user is selected.

Is the command "newperms" sufficient, or do I need the whole docker thing to change the permissions?

Edit:

even if the newpers is issued, the error 23 appears...

Edited by Fireball3

Coming back to close my issue.

While rsync is a great tool, the usability in terms of error handling is a real pain.

It throws "error 23" at you and that's it. Good luck in finding the problem...

Finally I found out that the permissions change has to be issued on the source as well as on the target.

I was hesitant because I have no dockers set up but the onboard command "newperms" seems to do the job quite well.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

Coming back to close my issue.

Glad to know it worked.

Yes, newperms (or the docker-safe version by Squid) helps a lot in this matter.

Alas, you're right, rsync is quite cryptic in its error descriptions and googling around, error 23 can be many different things O.o

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been answered/requested but would it be possible to add an option/feature so you you could do a move from a user share folder to a specific disk?

For example say /TVShows/Game Of Thrones is split across disks 2,3,5,7,8,9. I'd like to consolidate Game of Thrones down to just disk 7. Years ago when I first set my server up I had split levels set up incorrectly so I've got a ton of TV shows split across multiple disks and I'd like to consolidate them. I can do it manually via midnight commander or the command line but it would be nice to have an easy GUI to do it with.

4 minutes ago, mrow said:

Sorry if this has already been answered/requested but would it be possible to add an option/feature so you you could do a move from a user share folder to a specific disk?

You can, but you need to do it one source at a time. Select the first disk and folder you want to move as source, and uncheck all but the desired destination disk. Repeat as needed for all errant locations.

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You can, but you need to do it one source at a time. Select the first disk and folder you want to move as source, and uncheck all but the desired destination disk. Repeat as needed for all errant locations.

Yeah, I guess the point was I was trying to avoid having to do it disk by disk for each show and would like to be able to choose the top level directory for that show from the share and then choose the destination disk and that's it.

Edited by mrow
12 minutes ago, mrow said:

Yeah, I guess the point was I was trying to avoid having to do it disk by disk for each show and would like to be able to choose the top level directory for that show from the share and then choose the destination disk and that's it.

You can use the consold8 script to that automatically for you, like so:

I used it to consolidate tv shows by season according to a new split level with great success.

Edited by johnnie.black
50 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can use the consold8 script to that automatically for you, like so:

I used it to consolidate tv shows by season according to a new split level with great success.

Thanks, that looks like exactly what I was looking for! I'll give it a shot!

Edited by mrow
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What determines the stats information?  I've noticed recently that stats never actually collect, I just have a perpetual "Waiting to collect stats".  I'm currently moving some stuff that has been running for over an hour, moved MANY things successfully, but still hasn't generated stats.

29 minutes ago, glave said:

but still hasn't generated stats

Definitely strange !

I assume you're still on 6.3, not 6.4, right ? (I don't think it makes a difference, just wondering).

Do you have any lines that begin with "Current progress:" in your logs ?

Does it behave the same regardless of browser ?

3 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

Definitely strange !

I assume you're still on 6.3, not 6.4, right ? (I don't think it makes a difference, just wondering).

Do you have any lines that begin with "Current progress:" in your logs ?

Does it behave the same regardless of browser ?

Yup, 6.3.5!

Switching browsers makes the display change from 'Waiting' to '0.00% done ~ 0s left (0.00 MB/s)'  but it never changes from that.

Looking in the logs, I see no lines at all with "Current progress" in them.

3 hours ago, glave said:

but I am using custom flags:  -avRXO --partial

Ok, that's what causing the stats not to refresh.

You could do either

-avPRXO

or

-avRXO --partial --progress

*Note that -P = --partial --progress

The app parses the progress information generated by the --progress flag to generate the stats.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

Ok, that's what causing the stats not to refresh.

You could do either

-avPRXO

or

-avRXO --partial --progress

*Note that -P = --partial --progress

The app parses the progress information generated by the --progress flag to generate the stats.

Ah yes! That got it back on track perfectly. Thank you for finding that!

So, I'm thinking about adding a copy option after all. Users of the app will need to be aware of duplication and deal with it.

I'm also considering adding a consolidate option (similar to consld8 from Freddie).

I would really like to hook into the new "mover" functionality in 6.4, although that would mean losing realtime progress update as far as I can tell (as of now).

Any thoughts ?

So, I'm thinking about adding a copy option after all. Users of the app will need to be aware of duplication and deal with it.

I'm also considering adding a consolidate option (similar to consld8 from Freddie).

I would really like to hook into the new "mover" functionality in 6.4, although that would mean losing realtime progress update as far as I can tell (as of now).

Any thoughts ?

Consolidate option would be awesome!!!

Please add that...

I use the consolidate script frequently...

The only problem I have ever had with your plugin was after unbalancing a disk all the empty folders are still left on the disk I was trying to move stuff off of...so I use the consolidate script to move all the empty folders off the disk...

Thanks for your efforts!!

The

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jbrodriguez said:

That would be great. The speed savings is well worth it, when the app is used to clean off a drive in preparation for file system migration. Formatting takes WAY less time than deleting individual files.

Would you also consider adding a verification function? After the rsync is done with one copy pass, do another and look for any changes. If things changed, there is a good chance the copy is being interfered with by files being modified on the source or destination during the copy, so the user can be alerted that they need to investigate before proceeding.

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

is used to clean off a drive in preparation for file system migration

Yes, that's the use case I'm thinking for the copy feature :)

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Would you also consider adding a verification function

I'll try to add it this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

v3.0.0 is now available !

2017-06-28 - 3.0.0

This is a major internal redesign to allow for new features to be added.

Starting with this release, you can now COPY files (as opposed to only MOVE them in the
previous version).

In upcoming releases, you will be able to validate the copy (VALIDATE operation) and
use the completely new GATHER operation.

GATHER consolidates user share folders into a single disk (think for example
when you want to consolidate all the season of a tv show into one disk)

Additionally, a support fund was established, if you

want to show your support to the plugin developer.

These are other changes:
- Prevent spurious rsync lines in logs
- Use system font in UI
- Throttle websocket updates (for dry-run simulations)
- Improve hostname detection in plugin's unRAID settings page
- Bug fixes and improvements

• Upvote 2

Just learned about this great plug in as i want to convert my disks from reiserfs to xfs, i am running unraid 6.35 and have installed the plugin unBALANCE v3.0.0, but i am unable to get the status of it to change from Stopped, i have tried run as user with root and other users that have full read/write to the disks.

I installed the plugin via the github link

this is the only entry i can find in the log when i try to start the plugin.

Jun 28 18:04:02 TOPSITE php: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/stop
Jun 28 18:04:10 TOPSITE php: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/start
Jun 28 18:04:10 TOPSITE sudo: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/local/emhttp ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/unbalance -port 6237

Jun 28 18:04:49 TOPSITE kernel: usb 4-2: USB disconnect, device number 16
Jun 28 18:04:51 TOPSITE kernel: usb 4-2: new low-speed USB device number 17 using ohci-pci
Jun 28 18:04:51 TOPSITE kernel: input: PixArt USB Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0/0003:0461:4E22.0011/input/input21
Jun 28 18:04:51 TOPSITE kernel: hid-generic 0003:0461:4E22.0011: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [PixArt USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:12.0-2/input0
Jun 28 18:05:45 TOPSITE kernel: usb 4-2: USB disconnect, device number 17
Jun 28 18:05:46 TOPSITE kernel: usb 4-2: new low-speed USB device number 18 using ohci-pci
Jun 28 18:05:46 TOPSITE kernel: input: PixArt USB Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-2/4-

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced