SSD to 3.5 adapter or something else?

Is anybody using anything particularly cool smart for a SSD holder or are they just laying their SSD's on the bottom of their case?

I thought this was pretty interesting since it allows you to use a slot opposed to a drive bay. I only currently have room for 12 drives, but I'm set up for 14. However I'm going to guess I'm never going to get that high since I'm more than likely going to slowly increase drive sizes to replace older drives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080V73RE/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i2_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0A4DXWF5XZDZW7YXRERM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Alot cheaper too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVSUD6U/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0A4DXWF5XZDZW7YXRERM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Well I don't know if it can be considered "Cool" but I like it. I have a Fractal Design Define R5 (http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black)  and it has a cool feature where by which 2 SSD's can be mounted to the motherboard back pane by 2 brackets.

See here: http://cdn5.thinkcomputers.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fractal-Define-R5-page-4-6.jpg

Fractal Design are very good with their spare parts and you can buy these brackets separately, in that you don't need to buy the case. So if you wanted to buy a few of these if you had spare screw holes or wanted to create your own screw holes you could potential use the brackets in a "custom" way.

Anyway, that's about as cool as I get with SSD mounting ....  8):)

Hey that is pretty cool. I never thought of putting them on the backside of my Motherboard tray. I was trying to think of places to mount a drive or possibly two and I really like that. I could easily drill a hole for power/single there and attach one or possibly two there.

I have the SSD in a 3.5" adapter which I turned up on its end and screwed into a couple of the air holes at the back of my case. Normal PC case machine screws fit into the holes and hold it firmly. Pardon the cable snarl. Gave up on keeping them perfect. LOL

Slightly off topic so sorry in advance ...

Dude!!!!!! Cable management!

*Feels like Monica from Friends and wants to come over and "tidy" it for you it's bothering me that much*

*Might have nightmares about that now  ;)*

I use one of these: ICY DOCK EZ-Fit Lite

Holds 2 SSDs, lightweight so I just use double-sided tape to stick it to the bottom of the drive cage in my Lian Li PC-Q25B.

I have 5 data drives in the backplane/drive cage, 2 places at the bottom for dual parity (2nd parity ready and waiting), 2 SSDs as cache for a total of 9 drives in this little case, then use the last port on my RC-218 controller as eSATA for preclears and mounts outside the array.

That is a nifty bit of kit (not to poo-poo double sided tape).

I could see those working very well in a serious water-cooling setup, allowing drive cages to be tossed. Even just for better air-flow.

They certainly make use of what is usually wasted space for a lot of pc-cases.

I use this (the cheap, passive version) in one server and this (the more expensive, active version, though it works with mSATA, not 2.5-inch, SSDs) in another. Their advantage over other PCI slot brackets is that they each hold two SSDs. IMO, 3.5-inch and 5.25-inch bays are too precious to waste on SSDs  ;)

I got 18 x 5.25" bays.... 9 of which I've got hotswap bays in for 15 x 3.5" disks.  I think I'm good on that front John  ;D

I just added another Samsung SSD to my Fractal Design R5 case  as I am using those 2 mounted on the back of the motherboard panel in a Cache Pool now and needed an SSD for my VM's / Dockers.

I decided to use some 3M double sided tape and mount it vertically in between the required mounting holes I will need to add a 5.25" to 3.5" bracket later in the piece when I run out of 3.5" drive bays! Again, not sure if this is "cool" or not. But it works well and the drive is nice and cool like the rest of them.

Screen shot is not of my rig just an image I got online and edited to demonstrate what I did!

r5_back_ssd_mount.jpg.51bac922c3ce1f1545d6e485fc238838.jpg

... I decided to use some 3M double sided tape and mount it vertically in between the required mounting holes I will need to add a 5.25" to 3.5" bracket later in the piece when I run out of 3.5" drive bays! Again, not sure if this is "cool" or not.

It's fine.  The only thing I'd have done differently is use Velcro instead of double-sided tape ... it allows at least a bit of airflow behind the drive, and it makes it much easier to remove the drive if ever necessary.

... I decided to use some 3M double sided tape and mount it vertically in between the required mounting holes I will need to add a 5.25" to 3.5" bracket later in the piece when I run out of 3.5" drive bays! Again, not sure if this is "cool" or not.

It's fine.  The only thing I'd have done differently is use Velcro instead of double-sided tape ... it allows at least a bit of airflow behind the drive, and it makes it much easier to remove the drive if ever necessary.

Damn, nice idea! Next time I open the case I'm doing that! Not a big deal at the moment, but I can imagine as I add more and more drives to the case (especially cages around the 5.25 inch bays) every bit of quality airflow I can get will count!

I have one of these in my unraid case two hold my cache pool drives, but i'm not impressed with it. It sags due to the weight of two SSDs and plugging power cords into each drive is not easy.

I have one of these in my desktop to combine a 3.5" HDD and an SSD into one 5.25" slot, its a bit pricey, but works very well for what i needed. Hacked apart my fractal R2 that doesn't have all the nice removable front bays like the newer revisions.