Server Rack Help

bigsing

I was lucky enough to score the below rack (APC AR3100) for the low low price of free, merry christmas to me  8)

0zoWOTXm.jpg?1

My current plans are:

• Install Rackmount UPS (Donation from a friend). Don't have any details on it yet.
  • Install new patch panels and network switch
  • Add shelf for router and MOCA Bridge
  • Add shelf for two existing tower based UNRAID servers
  • Add keyboard/monitor kvm solution for machines
  • Build a 4U unraid server to replace existing production tower server
  • 1U pfsense applicance (maybe)

My knowledge on server rack hardware is limited, so i do have a couple of questions for the community. I have a friend that does server infrastructure for a living so i'm not worried about the patch panels and network switch at this point.

[*]Any recommendations for rack shelves? I'm looking for one shelf to hold one mid tower that has 3 Norco SS-500s in it and another tower server that only has 2 drives in it for testing purposes. The other shelf will hold my smaller components (router and bridge), so weight isn't an issue

[*]For the keyboard/monitor/kvm piece, i'm undecided on an all in one solution off ebay or getting something like this and adding a keyboard drawer. Any preferences or recommendations?

[*]Anything i missed or any other type of item i should consider adding to the rack?

If it has rear rack rails, get some horizontal lacing bars, I like the Middle Atlantic L shaped bars. If it doesn't have rear rack rails... GET THEM. They will help make the wiring neat and tidy to work with... as long as you keep up with it.

Also, no real reason to go 1U pfSense when you can just get a mini-ITX with dual nics and stick in a super small case, like this example. Just stick it beside your MOCA adapter. Also, the Raxxess shelves on Amazon seem to be the best bang for a 1U shelf.

Regarding a patch panel: That's an additional failure point if you aren't changing your switch up to a different spot in the rack, or plan to change your switch in the near future. If you plan to do HDBaseT or something similar then maybe... just because you might move components around and you can't fix too short a cable.

Make sure to leave enough cable to move the rack around (unless it will be bolted to the floor, then no worries). If it doesn't have casters on it currently and you think you might want to roll it for service purposes, install them before any equipment.

If you go with a 1U KVM... place it so the keyboard is at whatever height your elbows are at when standing, unless you plan to keep a chair/stool handy.

I believe it does have rear rack rails, here is a picture of the rear of the rack. Also, the rack came with thesewhich i believe are similar to the lacing bars that you recommended.

Good point on the pfsense box, i'm not sure yet when i might purchase one, but I will keep ITX builds in mind.

I will pickup on of the Raxxess shelves for my networking components. Any recommendations on heavier duty shelf to hold two towers and my UPS prior to getting the rack-mounted UPS?

The rack is already on wheels, so i'm good to go with that.

So yeah, it does have rear rails, but you have to get cage nuts to mount anything to those rails. Typical screw size for racks is #10-32 screws, some cage nuts are (I think) 1/4-20 screws. I would just get a 4U shelf for each tower/UPS since you have space. if they are going to be in there long term consider getting shelves that have rear supports. Otherwise, I'd convert the towers to 4U cases as those may be cheaper than good shelves.

I disagree highly with NOT going for server/rackmount systems in racks.

You bought a rack, you can get old 1-4U servers for next to nothing on ebay with tons of options for decent prices and everything FITS into your rack nicely and without having clunky shelving to put stuff on.

You only do shelves if you have NO other option. I am doing a single shelf for my unraid server due to costs and installing all the rest of my rack mounted systems (Backup Unraid, PFSense Firewall, switches, and cable) in my 12U mid atlantic rack.

You have a gorgeous looking server cabinet, no reason NOT to use it for it's full potential.

I did find this shelf which should hold more than enough. I picked up a Norco 4224 to replace my 15 drive MidTower build eventually, so one shelf should do the trick.

That is a pricey shelf. Also, is that the exact depth of your rack from rail to rail? If not... well, then you're wasting time/money with that shelf. Most 2U shelves hold 40-50 lbs per and are much cheaper.

No problem. I was in the same boat and couldn't justify $90 for a shelf. I was a little concerned about the price being so much lower but I had bought Navepoint items before so I though why not roll the dice. They were the same quality I expected them to be. I got the 32-38" models. I don't use them anymore as I switched over to Supermicro 846 chassis and rack rails. But they worked perfectly for me. Now I have like 8 of those damn shelves sitting here just begging for a project!