How to install OpenELEC (Official) in a VM

johnodon

Got it! OpenPHT booted!

I think it was the manual setting for vdisk1 and vdisk2. I was using the built-in unRAID option to choose OS.

Thank you so much.

NP.  Just remember that every time you use the Edit option to change your VM, it will kill any changes you made manually using Edit XML.

John

I have officially moved all of my endpoints from OE to OPHT.  :)

Now if the the Plex dev team would take a page from the Emby playbook in regards to metadata scanning, I can ditch my Emby docker.  :)

John

The Plex library agents that point to TheMovieDB, etc aren't good enough?

Now if the the Plex dev team would take a page from the Emby playbook in regards to metadata scanning, I can ditch my Emby docker.  :)

John

The Plex library agents that point to TheMovieDB, etc aren't good enough?

Not even close compared to Emby.

Finally got round to setting up my first VM.

Iam passing through a gtx980. I used Openelec from the templates, it worked first time but clicking audio needed fixing using bungee91`s post in this thread https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50279.0

creating and editing the sound.conf file which has resolved the issue and HD audio now passed through :)

I would like to use the Yatse android app to control OpenELEC but it isnt finding the host. I have tried adding the address manualy with port 80 with no luck. Anyone have any helpful advice regarding this please?

This is awesome and VM creation will open up a whole world of possibilities now :) so thanks devs

I would like to use the Yatse android app to control OpenELEC but it isnt finding the host. I have tried adding the address manualy with port 80 with no luck. Anyone have any helpful advice regarding this please?

The answer i was looking for is in the Unraid 6 Manual  :P

I needed to setup a network bridge https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Configure_a_Network_Bridge

This allows my router to assign an IP address so its now visible on my LAN.

I can now connect via remote desktop to my VM :)

How do you controll your OpenPHT? Is there an android app (such as Kore?) or do you have to pass-through the keyboard?

I pass through a USB IR receiver that I paid $10 for on amazon. You can also install the official plex app on your phone and "cast" movies/shows to your openPHT VM.

Win10 VM i use Unified Remote app with their server installed on VM. It can control Mouse/Keyboard and media through different remotes preconfigured. It has a Kodi app as well just not as nice as the Yatse app

John

I tell ya what...  After reading this post I decided to give OPHT a try... it's EXACTLY what i've been looking for.  I use Roku / Plex on 3 tv's in my house but in my theater I always stuck with Openelec / Libreelec (vm off of my unraid server) for the uncompressed feed with passthrough audio.  I had no idea that this thing existed and could do the same thing that openelec / libreelec did; but based on Plex...

Love it.  Works great! 

• 3 weeks later...

One more note...

Decided to go back and play with PMP Embedded some more.  It looks like the virtio drivers are included in the image so once you get PMP installed, you can set disk and nic back to virtio in the XML.  I did need to get into the tianocore and make my virtual disk the first boot device otherwise I would get the UEFI menu at each boot.

Actually, as much as I love OpenPHT, I think I'll give PMP another go.  Looks somewhat prettier than what I remember.  Add the fact that my PMP clients would also be very similar to the my other Plex apps should make for an easy transition for guests/kids when using different TVs/devices in the house (not to mention they can't really muck with settings all that easily).

At the end of the day I have come to the conclusion that I don't need all of the configuration/flexibility options that OE, LE and Kodi offer.  We pretty much use the HTPCs anymore for watching media.  If I care to play retro games, I just plug in my retropie box.

Ohhh...and I can run my PMP VMs in less than 1GB of space each.

John

Well, that was an awful outcome...

I went through the manual WiFi config and could hardly 720P content.  High bitrate BDRIP...forget about it!  Avatar (~35Mbit) wouldn't play for 5 seconds at a time.  And this was on an Asus Chromebox MU4.

I put OPHT embedded back on the same box and Avatar streams without a single dropped frame.  So...OPHT embedded for me.  I'll just set it to Kiosk mode to keep kids/guests from mucking with anything.

John

I went through the manual WiFi config and could hardly 720P content.  High bitrate BDRIP...forget about it!  Avatar (~35Mbit) wouldn't play for 5 seconds at a time.  And this was on an Asus Chromebox MU4.

I put OPHT embedded back on the same box and Avatar streams without a single dropped frame.  So...OPHT embedded for me.  I'll just set it to Kiosk mode to keep kids/guests from mucking with anything.

John

I agree the rpi wifi config for the pmp embedded is a huge miss and kind of a pain.

But also the wifi on my rpi in general is atrocious.

John

I agree the rpi wifi config for the pmp embedded is a huge miss and kind of a pain.

But also the wifi on my rpi in general is atrocious.

The fact that you have to jump through hoops to get WiFi connected is bad enough.  The much bigger issue for me was that it was absolutely unusable...and that was on an x86 system with a very food WiFi adapter.  Like I said, the same exact HW running OPHT Embedded is flawless when it comes to streaming.

John

• 3 months later...

Does anyone got a working LibreELEC VM running using iGPU?

I tried to set one up to ditch my GT720 I'm using right now but unfortunately I get no video signal at all.

I think I'm meeting all requirements described over here:

I made sure to use i440fx with SeaBios and my iGPU is also at PCI address 00:02.0

So I have no idea why its not working for me

Edited by Marv
On 2017-03-20 at 2:05 PM, Marv said:

Does anyone got a working LibreELEC VM running using iGPU?

I tried to set one up to ditch my GT720 I'm using right now but unfortunately I get no video signal at all.

I think I'm meeting all requirements described over here:

I made sure to use i440fx with SeaBios and my iGPU is also at PCI address 00:02.0

So I have no idea why its not working for me

I have this working quite good, picture is rock solid. The sound is good almost all the time, but from time to time the sound is stuttering. Most of the time it´s the gui sound that breaks. A restart fixes that, so i have scheduled a restart of that VM over night.

What mobo are you using? I have an ASUS Z87-C. and I5 4590 CPU.

Have you checked your bios settings?
I have sett mine to us igpu as primary display instead of auto. Max memory. And no power save, i think those are the 3 things i have changed.

JoWe

On 21.3.2017 at 3:35 PM, jowe said:

I have this working quite good, picture is rock solid. The sound is good almost all the time, but from time to time the sound is stuttering. Most of the time it´s the gui sound that breaks. A restart fixes that, so i have scheduled a restart of that VM over night.

What mobo are you using? I have an ASUS Z87-C. and I5 4590 CPU.

Have you checked your bios settings?
I have sett mine to us igpu as primary display instead of auto. Max memory. And no power save, i think those are the 3 things i have changed.

JoWe

I'm using an Asus H97i-Plus together with an i5-4570S.

I just tried your suggestions all together and one by one and also tried enabling CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor but still no luck :(

When connecting my main TV via HDMI to my integrated graphics I have no problem entering the Bios or using the unRAID Gui boot mode.

Even after unRAID booted normaly I can still see the loading information.

But after starting my LibreELEC via the WebUI the HDMI port just loses connection and my TV does not get a signal anymore.

Hope someone got an idea. 

2 hours ago, Marv said:

I'm using an Asus H97i-Plus together with an i5-4570S.

I just tried your suggestions all together and one by one and also tried enabling CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor but still no luck :(

When connecting my main TV via HDMI to my integrated graphics I have no problem entering the Bios or using the unRAID Gui boot mode.

Even after unRAID booted normaly I can still see the loading information.

But after starting my LibreELEC via the WebUI the HDMI port just loses connection and my TV does not get a signal anymore.

Hope someone got an idea. 

I can think of a couple of ideas to try.

Latest mobo bios?

Can you get any signal from VGA or DVI when booting VM?

Install a new LibreELEC using VNC and then your IGPU. Never connected to GT720 card.

JoWe