[SOLVED] Plex Docker - probable permissions issue

III_D

I searched the forums and couldn't find a solution.

[i'm posting this on unRaid forum and not Plex forum, because Plex seems to run fine, and there are no errors in the Plex log.]

[i'm posting this in the General Support forum, because the "Docker containers" forum seems to be reserved for support threads for various dockers. Plus, my problem is not specific to a single docker.]

Here is my problem: Plex runs fine and sees my library, but for the past couple of weeks, nothing that I add to the media folders is detected or updated by Plex. I have tried both the Limetech and the linuxserver dockers and the behaviour is the same. Kodi on another machine can see the files fine. I'm naming the files fine.

Around the same time this started, I managed to corrupt my docker.img file and had to reinstall all of my dockers. I'm pretty sure I used the same settings.

I have checked the permissions of the files in question, and they are all "user/users", just like all of the old media on my drive that Plex can see fine. Both the Plex logs and the unRaid syslogs are completely free of errors.

My mappings:

/config  --> /mnt/user/plex/  (this is a cache-only share)

/media  --> /mnt/user/Shares/

/transcode  --> /tmp

Any ideas where I should look next?

Thanks

III_D

any news on this? i am having the exact same problem. i can play movies shows that i added a month ago, but nothing really much new than two weeks ago. tv shows seem to work alright, but large movies that i have ripped on to the server will not play.

here is my other observation, i can play the same movies in Kodi (XBMC) and they play just fine.

anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

here is what i have found (with some searching on the plex forums).

i changed my transcode folder from /tmp to /mnt/cache/

this seemed to clear up my problem. i can now play all the movies in my library. i am not sure on the actual issue as i have 48GB of ram installed in my server and the dashboard says it is using 4% (~1.5GB) so there should have been more than enough. anyways, now it is working. if the people here need some kind of log from me let me know as i am not qualified to read those things (well, i can read them, but i have no idea what they mean).

glad it is working again though

(As usual) this turned out to be a simple mistake on my part. The error is not in my Docker mappings, but in my mappings WITHIN PLEX:

So because my media is mapped as:

Then within Plex, the "Video" media folder is NOT:

/mnt/user/Shares/Video

but:

/media/Video

Somehow I managed to screw this up when I reinstalled. But now, everything seems to be working fine.

Cheers

III_D

p.s. @ kingpin - regarding changing the transcode folder:

Changing it from /tmp to /mnt/cache should mean you are switching from transcoding in memory to transcoding on your cache drive. (Also, wouldn't /mnt/cache be the main cache directory? Shouldn't it be something like /mnt/cache/tmp?) With 48GB, I don't know why you should be having problems with memory, but good luck sorting it out!

(As usual) this turned out to be a simple mistake on my part. The error is not in my Docker mappings, but in my mappings WITHIN PLEX:

So because my media is mapped as:

Then within Plex, the "Video" media folder is NOT:

/mnt/user/Shares/Video

but:

/media/Video

Somehow I managed to screw this up when I reinstalled. But now, everything seems to be working fine.

Cheers

III_D

p.s. @ kingpin - regarding changing the transcode folder:

Changing it from /tmp to /mnt/cache should mean you are switching from transcoding in memory to transcoding on your cache drive. (Also, wouldn't /mnt/cache be the main cache directory? Shouldn't it be something like /mnt/cache/tmp?) With 48GB, I don't know why you should be having problems with memory, but good luck sorting it out!

Yeah, you have it right. There was something broken in the latest release. I am sure they will sort it out soon enough. I'm currently 200 miles from my server and casting a show to a tv at my  brothers house. Everything is working great.