Mac Finder is Always Slow & Sometimes Inaccurate?

I've been on unraid for years and have the latest version installed. I'm a Mac user and when I use Finder to browse folders & files on my unraid box, I always find it tediously slow to update and expand folders - sometimes files don't appear on the list when a folder is expanded at all. And then all of a sudden they appear. It's as if Finder just doesn't work well with browsing, copying, deleting etc. as it is very slow and sometimes non-accurate as to what's in a folder. Any ideas on a better solution to browsing the shares on my box with faster and more accurate results? Problem is that if say I open a folder on a share and nothing shows up files wise, then I decide to delete the folder thinking it is empty. But low and behold I just deleted a folder full of files - thanks Mac Finder. Suggestions would be much appreciated...

How long does it take the CacheDirs plug in to get everything cached? I installed it but didn't see much of anything different from the get-go.

Why is it that when using a Windows machine the directories load like lightning and don't have these issues like the Mac Finder when browsing share directories? This is soooo frustrating...

I have the same issue OSX 6.8 and 8.5

I find that if the server is left connected and not spun down it is faster but when first connected it takes 2 1/2 minutes to see 3 folders down with only a few items each. No spun down drives, Hard wired, just slow for some reason. This is from at least 3 Macs: Mac Mini (PVR), iMac and MacPro... The MacPro is less than 3 feet away. Dosen't matter if it is AFP or SMB. It use to be much faster with UnRaid v4.x ...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to speak too soon but I may have found the reason as to why it takes so long to list a directory from the server.

I turned off export SMB both for shares and disk and for the past week it has been much quicker. Even though I'm not connected as SMB to this server, my backups server, it seems to affect the time it takes to show in AFP.

It would be interesting to see if someone else has the same results with just exporting in one format, either AFP or SMB.

My other server, media server, is connected as SMB so I'll have to test that by turning off AFP.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to speak too soon but I may have found the reason as to why it takes so long to list a directory from the server.

I turned off export SMB both for shares and disk and for the past week it has been much quicker. Even though I'm not connected as SMB to this server, my backups server, it seems to affect the time it takes to show in AFP.

It would be interesting to see if someone else has the same results with just exporting in one format, either AFP or SMB.

My other server, media server, is connected as SMB so I'll have to test that by turning off AFP.

Hasnt seemed to make any difference in my case.....

It's has improved here 1000%. It now takes seconds to open folder that used to take minutes.

I turned off all dual exporting; SMB off if using AFP for both disk and Shares, AFP off if using SMB.

I also found that sparse."bundles" do not play well with unraid/linux, I have gone back to using sparse."image" for my backups.

I still have 2 bundles but I can not avoid it since they are not replaceable with images but they are deep in a number of folder levels and rarely expose them. I believe Time Machine uses bundles so I'm not sure how they get around that. Size for bundles won't even calculate.

I don't know why UnRaid has a problem exporting both AFP and SMB when nothing is connected with SMB and only AFP or the other way around. Seems like it tries to export both even though only one is connected.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the slowness, I've been experiencing this issue since I first started using unRAID maybe in 2008? Anyway, it always was delayed and every time I'd open the share after not using it for a while, it'd take a LONG time to populate my folders and their contents.

As of about a month ago, this no longer happens anymore. I'm running the latest OS X beta 10.11.4 (15E27e) and my shares load instantly along with all of the subfolders and files. Every single time, even if I go days not opening my shares it's nearly instant. No clue what changed on the OS X end, but it's persisted through the last few betas and its great.

Running 6.1.7 and I've made zero changes to my unRAID server in years. Connecting via SMB.

Has anyone tried disabling spotlight on those shares?

Doing so seems to have cut my load times in half..

I say seems to because I need to run further test but initially on the Disk shares I have it disabled on take half the time then the ones it is not disabled on. I will know better after a week or two if it is consistent.

Also as I said before only exporting all shares in only one format either SMB or AFP including disk shares, never have anything exported in 2 formats has made a huge difference on my #2 server.