Wake on Lan for Virtual Machines for 6.1+

dmacias

On 1/14/2023 at 10:47 AM, J05u said:

Can't make this plugin working for Guacamole :(

VM's not starting from any state, tried python from app store, from nerd tool, even suggestion from the post. No lack

Maybe anyone can help with?

Hello!
did you manage to get this working with Guacamole?

Having the exact same issue

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2023 at 4:47 AM, J05u said:

Can't make this plugin working for Guacamole :(

VM's not starting from any state, tried python from app store, from nerd tool, even suggestion from the post. No lack

Maybe anyone can help with?

I, also, am having trouble getting guac to start a VM with WOL.

I'm following @SpaceInvaderOne's guide on youtube and my VM won't start.

Edited by jbuszkie
  • 3 months later...

I tried this plugin and it kinda worked.

I don't want to hi-jack this, but I needed to be able to wake from sleeping and hibernating states.  As such, I made this:

https://github.com/mtongnz/unraidWOLcmd

It's a docker container to receive WOL packets.  You can configure any command to run on your unRaid server, including the vmControl script I wrote to start/stop VMs.

I'd be interested in some feedback.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 9:26 PM, mtongnz said:

I tried this plugin and it kinda worked.

I don't want to hi-jack this, but I needed to be able to wake from sleeping and hibernating states.  As such, I made this:

https://github.com/mtongnz/unraidWOLcmd

It's a docker container to receive WOL packets.  You can configure any command to run on your unRaid server, including the vmControl script I wrote to start/stop VMs.

I'd be interested in some feedback.

Cheers

Thx!! how did you get it to work? I couldn't wake up any VM from any state... Thanks so much!

15 hours ago, painted-champagne6111 said:

Thx!! how did you get it to work? I couldn't wake up any VM from any state... Thanks so much!

I'm assuming you've followed the instructions and have the FIFO, user script & docker container setup. I'm also assuming the container and user script are both running. I'm also assuming you've setup the docker config.yml with the default "echo test" from the GitHub repo.

Open the user script log and it should display a message when new WOL packets come in.

Send a WOL packet to your containers IP using the MAC specified in the config.yml for the echo test.  Broadcasting it might work but I specify the exact IP.

Did the user script log show anything?

If not, then something isn't setup correctly.

If it shows, then the WOL is working and it's something else.

10 hours ago, mtongnz said:

I'm assuming you've followed the instructions and have the FIFO, user script & docker container setup. I'm also assuming the container and user script are both running. I'm also assuming you've setup the docker config.yml with the default "echo test" from the GitHub repo.

Open the user script log and it should display a message when new WOL packets come in.

Send a WOL packet to your containers IP using the MAC specified in the config.yml for the echo test.  Broadcasting it might work but I specify the exact IP.

Did the user script log show anything?

If not, then something isn't setup correctly.

If it shows, then the WOL is working and it's something else.

I don't recall testing w/ the script. Definitely will look into it! Thanks so much!!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Sivivatu said:

Is this plugin still being supported? there have been no updates to the addon since 2020 and the github page appears to be dead as well. has it been moved to a new app version?

I found the plugin missing a few features (like waking a sleeping VM) so I made a docker to do it.  I posted it up a few posts:

• Upvote 1

Plug-In works perfectly in my local lan. Thank you for making this plugin!

When I'm away, I connect with my phone via tailscale to my unraid server and I would like to wake up a Win10-VM. On unraid I'm using the "Tailscale Plugin". Is there a way this can work together? I assume it's maybe difficult because of the different network interfaces ... with the tailscale plugin, unraid has br0 and tailscale1 as network interfaces in the settings.

But i'm too much a beginner to understand it. If someone has it running, I would be happy to hear about it 🙂

Edited by bluecat
On 5/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, Drycane said:

It's always the obvious things. Thank you so much. I got it to work. Sadly it didn't work with the variable but after editing the startup script by adding sudo and the VM Name it now works with Guacamole. Thank you for your assistance!

Hello Drycane, 

could you explain it properly how it will work with Guacamole, to wake up VMs properly with WOL?