[SOLVED] Battery Backup (UPS) advice

bombz

Hello,

I have not owned a UPS at all before, but I have been trying to research one for my UnRAID system. I am not sure if there are UPS that work with UnRAID software. As in ... When the UPS detects power loss, the UnRAID server sees that (via some addon) and safely shuts down the server.

I have been looking at APC and Cyber UPS.

I also saw greycase had said something about AVR circuits, I am not sure what that is, but trying to research. Anyone have any good input on what they have liked or used ?

Thanks for the help...! :)

Your server should absolutely have a UPS ... it will be FAR more reliable and a UPS will also ensure that all shutdowns are "graceful"  (i.e. that everything is correctly shut down).

What I've noted about UPS units is that you do NOT want to buy one of the very inexpensive ones that don't have automatic voltage regulation (AVR) circuits.    Both APC and CyberPower are good brands as long as you buy units with AVR.    If you're running v6, UPS support is built in;  if you're running an earlier version, you can install UnMenu and then install the APCUPSD package.    With the proper supporting software, UnRAID will automatically shut down in the event of a power failure after a set number of minutes (or if the UPS battery reaches a pre-configured threshold).

The best UPS units provide a pure sine-wave output in addition to AVR.    This is the lowest cost one that meets that criteria:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102131

Your server should absolutely have a UPS ... it will be FAR more reliable and a UPS will also ensure that all shutdowns are "graceful"  (i.e. that everything is correctly shut down).

What I've noted about UPS units is that you do NOT want to buy one of the very inexpensive ones that don't have automatic voltage regulation (AVR) circuits.    Both APC and CyberPower are good brands as long as you buy units with AVR.    If you're running v6, UPS support is built in;  if you're running an earlier version, you can install UnMenu and then install the APCUPSD package.    With the proper supporting software, UnRAID will automatically shut down in the event of a power failure after a set number of minutes (or if the UPS battery reaches a pre-configured threshold).

The best UPS units provide a pure sine-wave output in addition to AVR.    This is the lowest cost one that meets that criteria:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102131

Just now (3PM EST 11/11/15) the 1500VA version is only $35 more, which IMHO is a pretty decent deal. You could theoretically run an efficient unraid server for an hour or so on backup before you needed to shut down.
Just now (3PM EST 11/11/15) the 1500VA version is only $35 more, which IMHO is a pretty decent deal. You could theoretically run an efficient unraid server for an hour or so on backup before you needed to shut down.

See here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8234492-1500va-900w-cyberpower-pfc-pure-sine-wave-mini-tower-ups-system-with-lcd-panel-cp1500pfclcd-for-153-95-w-visa-checkout-free-shipping-newegg-com-starting-at-10-00-am-pt

To drop that $165 price by another $11.

See here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8234492-1500va-900w-cyberpower-pfc-pure-sine-wave-mini-tower-ups-system-with-lcd-panel-cp1500pfclcd-for-153-95-w-visa-checkout-free-shipping-newegg-com-starting-at-10-00-am-pt

You can use any credit card, but you must choose the visa checkout radio button and sign up for the visa checkout account. I just entered my AMEX in the visa checkout and it worked just fine.

See here:

That is a GREAT price for the 1500va unit => I paid over $200 for one just a couple months ago.

One thing about the cyber power ones is that some (if not all) do not work with the shut down ups option in unraid apcupsd plugin.

I have the cp1500avrlcd. It's a great ups. However, if i set that option on, instead of turning the ups off, it only turns off the charging of the ups. Even after the power comes back on, the ups doesn't charge and if you don't realize it and turn the server back on, when the ups dies, the server does an unclean shutdown (not cool)

As long as you set that option to off in apcupsd plugin settings, all is well. Except, you have to manually start the server when the power comes back on

Dam in .ca their expensive --

$167.00

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102131&cm_re=CyberPower_PFC_Sinewave_Series_CP1000PFCLCD-_-42-102-132-_-Product

$223.00 CDN

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FT2603132&cm_re=CyberPower_PFC_Sinewave_Series_CP1000PFCLCD-_-42-102-132-_-Product

Guess I should get some money aside for one for my unraid, do you think the 850 will be fine or should I go 1000 ?

The only thing that is going to be plugged into it is the unraid server... that's it.

• 1 month later...

Bombz - did you end up finding a good unit?

I'm in the same position as you: never used a UPS before, wanting something that plays nicely with unRAID (I'd like graceful shutdown and automatic restart), and I'm in Canada too, and I'd like to spend as little as possible while still getting a decent enough unit. Also, like you, the only thing on battery backup would be the unRAID server.

I like the Smart UPS series over the Back UPS as the Smart UPS has all of their outlets dedicated to backup, whereas the Back UPS line tends to dedicate half to battery backup and the other half to surge protection only. Any of the Smart UPS line will work, 750, 1000, 1500.

For me, the router and unRAID box would be the only things I want battery backup for, so the Back UPS series should be fine for me. I'm not sure how I feel about refurbished, though the prices are certainly good!

I'm thinking about this one: APC BackUPS Pro LS 700VA USB UPS, Refurbished (BP700UC)

Yep thats good bang for the buck, how much will shipping add?

Another $19 for shipping. Though I'm in Markham from time to time so I might be able to pick it up.

The one feature this one doesn't have, though, is coaxial protection for my cable modem. Should I be concerned about that? The only thing at risk would be the modem itself, right?

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about that, its a nice to have not a need to have IMO,  years ago when I was with Shaw then Rogers, I never had any power issues that affected my modem and if you did I am sure they would replace it unless you own it if you did have any issue. If you are in Markham you might as well save the $20 and drive over and pick it up, don't expect to much from their office its more like a small warehouse then a retail store.

• 1 year later...

Hello again everyone,

I have now decided I need a new UPS. I have been looking at this one (.ca / Canada)

I have read some peoples posts here and I think I have decided on this one. Can anyone give me any feedback before I pull the trigger?

Thank you.

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Mini-Tower-Features/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498157676&sr=1-1&keywords=CyberPower+ups

Looking forward to hearing back :)

Edited by bombz
  • bombz changed the title to [SOLVED] Battery Backup (UPS) advice