does preclear make drive run hotter? {SOLVED}

i just got a new hdd and im running the 3 intial preclears on it and its running at 50c and my other drives are at 32c. is this normal or should i return the drive. the drive i got is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145912 HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Bare Drive

What temp do your drives run during a parity check? 

Is this drive mounted in a location where previously you have had a drive being parity checked?

You should see similar temps.

once the 3 preclear scans or whatever its called are done ill do a parity check and see the temps vs my other drives and report back. 3 runs of a 4tb drive take a long while  ::)

here are the temps...good difference IMO. i live in arizona so these temps are currently on the lower side keep in mind. do you guys feel this is normal? its beacuse 7200 rpm im guessing? or you think the difference is too much of a gap??

temps.jpg

*Update. I did get a few warnings at 45C that the disk is running hot. Maybe i should switch this for WD RED instead

Maybe you could move it physically to the bottom of the case where it won't get heat from other drives.

Right now it may be sandwiched between 2 drives.

good suggestion but i dont know if that would work...let think this out while i type haha...my drives are in the chassis sideways because of hdd bay i can fit 4 in where 2 or 3 optical drives would mount...the case has about 9 or so fans and there is a fan in front of each hdd bay...but ill take that into consideration for sure...thanks for the suggestion!

the case has about 9 or so fans and there is a fan in front of each hdd bay...but ill take that into consideration for sure...thanks for the suggestion!

That seems really hot for that many fans.. Are they running in the right direction? My servers only have 2 fans, one on CPU. Server 1 runs 28C to 35C deg., server #2 will get up to maybe 37C or so on preclearing drives, if it's really hot day, 90F and no AC it will maybe get to 41C.

yeah the fans should all be going in the right direction. they came with the chassis...so it has three fans on the front blowing towards the hdd..has 3 fans on the side panel i think they are blowing in. then it has two fans on top and one or two fans in the back. and of course cpu and psu. well i do live in southern az which gets hot all the time but i dont know why my hdds would be running so much hotter. as in the screen shot the parity and disk 1 and 2 are the hottest and they are right next to each other. so perhaps i should do what you said and move that drive to the end and see what happens...

i assume the WD RED run a little hotter than the WD Green but i dont know for sure. im not so concerned about the other drives just the new one i got because i dont know for sure if it should be running that much hotter...ill call new egg today and see what we can do.  :P

Just a thought but the fans on the side panel may be trying to blow air out through the drives and counter acting the drive fans.

It seems like you have more fans blowing in than out. On my server #1 I blocked all air intakes/Holes except for the CPU fan and front intakes in front of the drives. The CPU fan has a tube/funnel from the side panel to right against the CPU fan so the air is directed right to the CPU. The exhaust fan on the rear sucks air from the front across the drives and not in from the side/top vents so the drives get fresh, cooler air.

There are threads here from years past about that.

Just a thought but the fans on the side panel may be trying to blow air out through the drives and counter acting the drive fans.

It seems like you have more fans blowing in than out. On my server #1 I blocked all air intakes/Holes except for the CPU fan and front intakes in front of the drives. The CPU fan has a tube/funnel from the side panel to right against the CPU fan so the air is directed right to the CPU. The exhaust fan on the rear sucks air from the front across the drives and not in from the side/top vents so the drives get fresh, cooler air.

Exactly. Desktop cases aren't designed for that many hard drives, so the fans aren't necessarily set up correctly from the factory for our use case. In most cases, you want to try to get ALL the airflow to go over the drives first, with no way for it to bypass. So if the fan is not pulling air in over the drives, it should be blowing out of the case. Generally all side, rear, top, bottom fans should be exhausting, and only fans behind or in front of the drives should be intakes.

You should keep some perspective on this, 41 is not hot, 50's and 60's are hot.  You might be surprised by the manufacturers specs.  I did a quick spot check, and found the max operating temp to be 55 for WD Blacks, 60 for Seagates and WD Blues and Greens, and 65 for WD Reds (couldn't find temps for HGST).  It's been awhile since the Google hard drive study, but if I recall right, they did not see issues with drives that reached higher temps, but did see a few problems with cold drives.

I personally have my drive temp warnings set to 45 for 'Warning' and 55 for 'Critical'.  I consider 45 a good temp to inform me, as it's higher than I expect, and let's me know I may have a dead fan or other issue.

At the same time, I too would wonder why one drive is rather different, would probably spend a little effort looking for a reason, but wouldn't worry too much about it.  Your pic though shows that drive had done a LOT of work recently, and I wonder if it had had time to cool down yet.

• Upvote 1

As you know, 7200rpm drives will run a bit warmer than slower drives; and the HGST is known to run a bit warmer than some others, even at the same rpm.  Nevertheless, it should not hit 50 => I wouldn't be concerned about mid-40's (44-46 or so) during continuous usage (pre-clears, parity checks, etc.) ... but if it's getting warmer than that you need to look at the airflow you have for the drive.

By the way, the picture you posted for the temps during a parity check is essentially useless => that's a parity check that was just started.    It can take an hour or so for temps to stabilize during a parity check ... let it run for 60-90 minutes and THEN look at the temps => that will be a much more useful data point.

• Upvote 1

I want to cover all points here...so first of all I have issued an RMA and i will post results of new drive and what not but let me go over all the great info you guys have given...

As you know, 7200rpm drives will run a bit warmer than slower drives; and the HGST is known to run a bit warmer than some others, even at the same rpm.  Nevertheless, it should not hit 50 => I wouldn't be concerned about mid-40's (44-46 or so) during continuous usage (pre-clears, parity checks, etc.) ... but if it's getting warmer than that you need to look at the airflow you have for the drive.

By the way, the picture you posted for the temps during a parity check is essentially useless => that's a parity check that was just started.    It can take an hour or so for temps to stabilize during a parity check ... let it run for 60-90 minutes and THEN look at the temps => that will be a much more useful data point.

i Was unaware the HGST run warmer than others of same RPM but yes aware 7200 will run hotter than 5400... i want to address the airflow of the case and i will check temps from about 1.5hrs into parity next run...

You should keep some perspective on this, 41 is not hot, 50's and 60's are hot.  You might be surprised by the manufacturers specs.  I did a quick spot check, and found the max operating temp to be 55 for WD Blacks, 60 for Seagates and WD Blues and Greens, and 65 for WD Reds (couldn't find temps for HGST).  It's been awhile since the Google hard drive study, but if I recall right, they did not see issues with drives that reached higher temps, but did see a few problems with cold drives.

I personally have my drive temp warnings set to 45 for 'Warning' and 55 for 'Critical'.  I consider 45 a good temp to inform me, as it's higher than I expect, and let's me know I may have a dead fan or other issue.

At the same time, I too would wonder why one drive is rather different, would probably spend a little effort looking for a reason, but wouldn't worry too much about it.  Your pic though shows that drive had done a LOT of work recently, and I wonder if it had had time to cool down yet.

good to know on the operating temps of those drives thanks. you are correct on the hdd doing a lot of work at once but from the get go when i started the preclears the temps were about 50-56C i believe. next time i will give it more time to rest in between the preclear and the parity...

this particular case came many slots for hdd so i hope they set the fans up correctly for it...

case.jpg

there is also three fans blowing inwards on the side panel. (sorry i cant draw with a mouse  :-[ )

Thanks for all the info. Let me know what you think of the case fans and the directions. Again i will post results of replacement hdd just incase. I very well may be parinoid i just want to take care of it while within return warranty time frame. Thanks. ill post back probably next week since 3 runs on preclear of 4tb takes some time. thanks again

there is also three fans blowing inwards on the side panel. (sorry i cant draw with a mouse  :-[ )

I would have thought the side fans should be extracting.  The only fans blowing air in should be those on the front panel that are blowing air over the drives.

they're definitely blowing in but i can flip them if you think that's best  ::)

• 2 weeks later...

so im about hour thirty into parity and new drive is at 40. Still my warmest drive but its only 1 degree warmer than my second highest temp drive. The ambient temperature has dropped from when i started posting this so thats why its down to 40 but i dont think the range is as great. my coolest drive is 34. the warmest ones are the parity drive 1,2,3 basically so ill look into that area to try and provide something to keep it a little cooler. since this is the second drive im more comfortable with the temps and all that. I mostly wanted to be on the safe side. so ill continue to monitor it. The chassis fans appear to be how they should be to keep the case cool . Thanks again everyone

40 s not an issue at all.    During a parity check or rebuild, it's not at all unusual to see temps in the low-to-mid 40's ... especially for 7200rpm drives.    My "normal" operating temps are the low-30's;  parity checks tend to drive most drives to the upper 30's, and my 7200rpm units to 40-41.    (a pre-clear is essentially the same as a parity check in terms of how hard the drive's being used)