XFS drives showing up as unformatted

Hey Guys,

So I just moved from a basic linux setup with snapraid as my parity system. I currently have 4 drives including the parity. After mounting only the data disks, which I confirmed from my previous set up because I saved the fstab which mounted by device ids, only 1 out of the 3 data drives showed up as XFS. I am currently running xfs_repair on the other 2 drives to see if that will help or point something out.

After taking a quick look at the syslog.txt (see attached), I noticed things like:

Oct 23 21:11:10 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device md1): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal

Now this disk at one point could have been REISERFS, since I used to run unraid 5 with the same hardware. And I might have missed something on reformatting them to XFS. But under my old system, xfsprogs was able to mount all 3 devices. So xfs_repair may be able to fix this, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any input/advice on the problem. Thanks for the help!

syslog.zip

It is not clear to me what you did?  Are you saying that you took disks that were not part of an unRAID system and then assigned them as data disks in unRAID and expected the data to be intact?  This would cause you problems as when a disk is added unRAID normally rewrites the partition table to conform to the standards unRAID expects.  This effectively looses any data currently on the disk.  I am not sure how one would recover from that.

The normal way to get data into unRAID is to set up the array with empty disks.  You then copy your data onto them either over the network or from a disk that is mounted outside the array.  Once you have copied all the data from a disk to the array then you may well add that as an additional drive to the array.

Snapraid is more flexible and u can go from unraid to snapraid but not the other way around. Unraid, a single empty drive would have to be added and data moved onto it. You have to start with clean empty drives.

Hey Guys,

So I just moved from a basic linux setup with snapraid as my parity system. I currently have 4 drives including the parity. After mounting only the data disks, which I confirmed from my previous set up because I saved the fstab which mounted by device ids, only 1 out of the 3 data drives showed up as XFS. I am currently running xfs_repair on the other 2 drives to see if that will help or point something out.

After taking a quick look at the syslog.txt (see attached), I noticed things like:

Oct 23 21:11:10 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device md1): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal

Now this disk at one point could have been REISERFS, since I used to run unraid 5 with the same hardware. And I might have missed something on reformatting them to XFS. But under my old system, xfsprogs was able to mount all 3 devices. So xfs_repair may be able to fix this, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any input/advice on the problem. Thanks for the help!