Introducing Lime Technology Services!

jonp

While you can read more about this announcement in our blog post on the subject, I wanted to start a thread here in the announcement board instead of our normal Blog Discussion forum in order to get your feedback.  In short, as a pilot program, we are going to be offering schedulable services that can be booked through our website.  I highly encourage you all to read the blog post that covers these offerings as well as to check out the new Services page off our website for even more information.  Our primary objective with this new program is provide assistance to folks that need it by helping them configure and troubleshoot their systems in one-on-one sessions.

So again, please read the blog, check out the Services page, and provide your feedback here!

Hope it doesn't mean the help here, in forums...  :-\

Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you read the services page it's very clear that the pay support is a one on one, person to person, telephone call with computer remote access directly from limetech support. I'm pretty sure the forum support will not change, as it is mostly handled by non-paid computer geeks that just like unraid enough to volunteer our time.

Hope it doesn't mean the help here, in forums...  :-\

Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you read the services page it's very clear that the pay support is a one on one, person to person, telephone call with computer remote access directly from limetech support. I'm pretty sure the forum support will not change, as it is mostly handled by non-paid computer geeks that just like unraid enough to volunteer our time.

That's correct.  The blog post covers this pretty much in the first paragraph:

We have always offered multiple paths to getting help with unRAID. The Wiki provides loads of information and the Forum is a great place to consult with us and other users.  But there are some times when you just want to talk to an expert directly in a one-on-one session.  For these occasions, we are pleased to announce new services offerings from Lime Technology.

Is this service available overseas as well, think of time differences ?

The requirements for the service are that you schedule it within the hours that are available in the calendaring system we setup, you can speak the English language, and that we can establish a good connection with you when we are scheduled to help you.  We are not staffed to handle all time-zones, but if someone overseas wants to stay up late / get up early to chat with us, we're not opposed!

Sounds like a great idea, I for one am wanting to upgrade my server in the near future so i can take advantage of the virtual side of things and also have it run as my media PC. while I've used virtual machines a fair bit on windows, I'd be grateful to have that one on one help teaching me how to get unraid running how I'd like.

The requirements for the service are that you schedule it within the hours that are available in the calendaring system we setup, you can speak the English language, and that we can establish a good connection with you when we are scheduled to help you.  We are not staffed to handle all time-zones, but if someone overseas wants to stay up late / get up early to chat with us, we're not opposed!

When did Americans start speaking English ?

I'll update the terms to say must speak 'Merican!

I'll update the terms to say must speak 'Merican!

You may want to put some extra conditions around New York, Boston and Philly accents.

While this is a great step for Lime-tech. I think the less tech-savvy users might actually be put off by this. They KNOW they'll need help, and now if they want help from an official source besides the forum, which, lets face it doesnt always get the most attention from Lime-tech, they are faced with additional fee's.

My point is, you might want to consider one-time free hour for users who purchased a key within the last "xxxx" days/weeks/months, whatever. Might add more confidence to the new, uninitiated user base.

While this is a great step for Lime-tech. I think the less tech-savvy users might actually be put off by this. They KNOW they'll need help, and now if they want help from an official source besides the forum, which, lets face it doesnt always get the most attention from Lime-tech, they are faced with additional fee's.

My point is, you might want to consider one-time free hour for users who purchased a key within the last "xxxx" days/weeks/months, whatever. Might add more confidence to the new, uninitiated user base.

I do not read that like this.  As I understand it the previous support options such as email are still there.  This is just an additional option for those who want a level of support higher than those that have been available previously.

I wouldn't give a free hour ... but a half-price hour of support (e.g. $25) might be a nice "extra" with key purchases.

Ha - I have that problem all the time here in Philippines.  Even the school 'English' text books teach 'merican slang.

An example I use often:

How do you tell an Englishman from an American?  Answer - you tell them to walk in the middle of the pavement.  The 'merican gets knocked down by the cars on the road while the Englishman, sensibly, walks on the footpath beside the road.

Ha - I have that problem all the time here in Philippines.  Even the school 'English' text books teach 'merican slang.

An example I use often:

How do you tell an Englishman from an American?  Answer - you tell them to walk in the middle of the pavement.  The 'merican gets knocked down by the cars on the road while the Englishman, sensibly, walks on the footpath beside the road.

Im from South Africa and to me that would make more sense if you said "pavementS".

... When did Americans start speaking English ?

Good question.  My British friends when I lived in Europe often asked me why we had "messed up" such a perfectly good language.

Nevertheless, I think when JonP noted ...

... The requirements for the service are that ... you can speak the English language ...

.. what he REALLY means is that you can speak "American English"  :)

Considering the relative ages of our countries, I would certainly agree that proper English is the language spoken in the UK ... NOT in America  :) :)

Hey Everyone,

I'm relatively new to unRAID and have it running for awhile in preparation of converting to it from my current NAS. Unfortunately, with a wife, two kids, dog and my business I have had no time to figure out how to do everything I wanted to do which included a handful of docker apps and virtualization of my home automation and DVR systems. As soon as I saw the announcement I signed up for a session today. I was actually their first!

I got more way more value then I ever expected and probably saved myself 20 hours of research and implementation time as a new unRAID user. I would have had to scour the documentation and forum posts for a very long time to gather the information that I gained from my session with Jon. This is kind of a consumer-focused product and I realize that $50/hour may seem steep to some people but I work in the technology field and pay consultants up to $250/hour if needed. To me this is bargain which is why I didn't even hesitate. I could have received 1/10th the information and assistance that I did and I probably would have still be happy with the service.

If you want to cut out the steep learning curve, even if you consider yourself a technically capable person, I would strongly recommend this service. I'm already planning on another session to discuss backup/synchronization and disaster recovery and how I can use unRAID in my business.

--AJ

Are you recruiting part timers or any kind of staff?

This won't take Lime-Tech themselves or the one-on-one support staff from continued support and help on the forums? I do notice that Tom and Jon contribute and help out on the forums from time to time. Will this new revenue stream cease your public help here?

BTW, good luck with the support services! I do like to see LT always moving forward.

Hey Everyone,

I'm relatively new to unRAID and have it running for awhile in preparation of converting to it from my current NAS. Unfortunately, with a wife, two kids, dog and my business I have had no time to figure out how to do everything I wanted to do which included a handful of docker apps and virtualization of my home automation and DVR systems. As soon as I saw the announcement I signed up for a session today. I was actually their first!

I got more way more value then I ever expected and probably saved myself 20 hours of research and implementation time as a new unRAID user. I would have had to scour the documentation and forum posts for a very long time to gather the information that I gained from my session with Jon. This is kind of a consumer-focused product and I realize that $50/hour may seem steep to some people but I work in the technology field and pay consultants up to $250/hour if needed. To me this is bargain which is why I didn't even hesitate. I could have received 1/10th the information and assistance that I did and I probably would have still be happy with the service.

If you want to cut out the steep learning curve, even if you consider yourself a technically capable person, I would strongly recommend this service. I'm already planning on another session to discuss backup/synchronization and disaster recovery and how I can use unRAID in my business.

--AJ

glad you got sorted.

this is exactly the users i think Limetech wants to target as well as business installations. My unraid is stable as nothing before - thus having a quick experienced engineer setup a new install wont be a pain at all for many users out there.

keep the good times coming!