linuxserver.io

[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN-AS

593 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I believe privileged should be off. It is in mine anyway.

thanks @wgstarks I just tried that with no luck. Doing a netstat on the host shows the that TCP:943 is not even open. The docker logs shows no errors so not sure where to go from there.

Edited by Enver

1 minute ago, Enver said:

thanks @wgstarks I just tried that with no luck. Doing a netstat on the host shows the that TCP:943 is not even open so not sure where to go from there.

You are attempting to login to admin from your local network right?

Just now, wgstarks said:

You are attempting to login to admin from your local network right?

Yes. As a sanity check I just changed the docker network from host to bridge and can now see the admin login page. ????

1 minute ago, Enver said:

Yes. As a sanity check I just changed the docker network from host to bridge and can now see the admin login page. ????

Are you using a bonded network?

unRaid 6.3.5 and linuxserver.io's openvpn-as Docker container. Ive not read through this whole thread, so if the answer exists here already, please shove me in that direction.

This was originally posted at Reddit, with no resolution so far.

I followed Spaceinvader One’s video for setting up OpenVPN as a Docker container and was able to get everything set up correctly, save for one issue.

Any time there’s an update to the container, the user I've created to access the VPN, not admin, is deleted. I can manually create the user via the command line, but should I have to?

Why would updating/restarting the container cause the user to get removed? The user does show up in the UI, but I can’t connect using its credentials. When I do docker exec –it openvpn-as adduser username after restarting the container, I can connect again.

What am I missing?

29 minutes ago, spalmisano said:

unRaid 6.3.5 and linuxserver.io's openvpn-as Docker container. Ive not read through this whole thread, so if the answer exists here already, please shove me in that direction.

I followed Spaceinvader One’s video for setting up OpenVPN as a Docker container and was able to get everything set up correctly, save for one issue.

Any time there’s an update to the container, the user I've created to access the VPN, not admin, is deleted. I can manually create the user via the command line, but should I have to?

Why would updating/restarting the container cause the user to get removed? The user does show up in the UI, but I can’t connect using its credentials. When I do docker exec –it openvpn-as adduser username after restarting the container, I can connect again.

What am I missing?

Correct.

If you store the credentials locally you won't have to do that. You also need to reset the default admin credentials every time you update.

If you read the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there has been some recent discussion of this.

TLDR- Use "local", don't use auto update,  reset admin credentials after manual updating.

I followed Spaceinvader One’s 

for setting up OpenVPN as a Docker container and was able to get everything set up correctly, save for one issue.

What am I missing?

Why are you adding users through command line? Do it through the gui. And change it to local first. It's in the docker image description

1 hour ago, spalmisano said:

You might also try the procedure shown in comments for SpaceInvaderOne's video. I haven't tested. No idea if it works.

18 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Why are you adding users through command line? Do it through the gui. And change it to local first. It's in the docker image description

I'm not. The user was added via the UI, and is still in the UI on container restart, but I still need to add the user via the command line in order to set its password. 

The authentication is is set to local, not PAM. 

9 minutes ago, spalmisano said:

I'm not. The user was added via the UI, and is still in the UI on container restart, but I still need to add the user via the command line in order to set its password. 

The authentication is is set to local, not PAM. 

If you expand the user details you will see the text field for entering the password.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

If you expand the user details you will see the text field for entering the password.

Yes, saw that. What I'm not clear on is why I have to update the users password every time the container gets updated and restarted. 

Just now, spalmisano said:

Yes, saw that. What I'm not clear on is why I have to update the users password every time the container gets updated and restarted. 

You don't if you use local. Only the admin password needs to be updated after an update.

6 hours ago, wgstarks said:

You don't if you use local. Only the admin password needs to be updated after an update.

You mean the 'Authenticate users with' on the Active Configuration should be 'local'? That's what I have and still am experiencing the above. The user account I use to log in with shows up in the UI, but I still need to use the command line to re-add that user and set its password.

25 minutes ago, spalmisano said:

You mean the 'Authenticate users with' on the Active Configuration should be 'local'? That's what I have and still am experiencing the above. The user account I use to log in with shows up in the UI, but I still need to use the command line to re-add that user and set its password.

My suggestion-

1) Delete the docker and image and the folder in appdata so you can start fresh.

2) Install docker.

3) login to admin with default admin/password as described in the github readme under the section "Setting up the application".

4) Change the authentication to "local".

5) Save configuration and also save to running server.

6) Add new user name/password in the WebUI (not CLI).

7) Save configuration and save to running server.

8  Logout.

9) Check that the new user works by logging in with those credentials. If it doesn't work you can login with the default admin and grab the error for the failed login attempt.

10) Assuming the new user works you can SSH/telnet to the server and run docker exec -it openvpn-as passed admin to change the password for the admin account. Remember, if you run an update on the docker you'll need to do this step again.

As far as setting up clients goes, the info in the video should work for you. I know I didn't have any problems there.

As I posted earlier, there is another option outlined in the comments section of the youtube video. You could possibly stick with the settings outlined in the video and add the paths as described in the comments. I haven't tried this, but others reported success there.