[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

unRaid 6.3.5 and linuxserver.io's openvpn-as Docker container. Ive not read through this whole thread, so if the answer exists here already, please shove me in that direction.

This was originally posted at Reddit, with no resolution so far.

I followed Spaceinvader One’s video for setting up OpenVPN as a Docker container and was able to get everything set up correctly, save for one issue.

Any time there’s an update to the container, the user I've created to access the VPN, not admin, is deleted. I can manually create the user via the command line, but should I have to?

Why would updating/restarting the container cause the user to get removed? The user does show up in the UI, but I can’t connect using its credentials. When I do docker exec –it openvpn-as adduser username after restarting the container, I can connect again.

What am I missing?

29 minutes ago, spalmisano said:

unRaid 6.3.5 and linuxserver.io's openvpn-as Docker container. Ive not read through this whole thread, so if the answer exists here already, please shove me in that direction.

I followed Spaceinvader One’s video for setting up OpenVPN as a Docker container and was able to get everything set up correctly, save for one issue.

Any time there’s an update to the container, the user I've created to access the VPN, not admin, is deleted. I can manually create the user via the command line, but should I have to?

Why would updating/restarting the container cause the user to get removed? The user does show up in the UI, but I can’t connect using its credentials. When I do docker exec –it openvpn-as adduser username after restarting the container, I can connect again.

What am I missing?

Correct.

If you store the credentials locally you won't have to do that. You also need to reset the default admin credentials every time you update.

If you read the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there has been some recent discussion of this.

TLDR- Use "local", don't use auto update,  reset admin credentials after manual updating.

I followed Spaceinvader One’s 

for setting up OpenVPN as a Docker container and was able to get everything set up correctly, save for one issue.

What am I missing?

Why are you adding users through command line? Do it through the gui. And change it to local first. It's in the docker image description
1 hour ago, spalmisano said:

You might also try the procedure shown in comments for SpaceInvaderOne's video. I haven't tested. No idea if it works.

18 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Why are you adding users through command line? Do it through the gui. And change it to local first. It's in the docker image description

I'm not. The user was added via the UI, and is still in the UI on container restart, but I still need to add the user via the command line in order to set its password. 

The authentication is is set to local, not PAM. 

9 minutes ago, spalmisano said:

I'm not. The user was added via the UI, and is still in the UI on container restart, but I still need to add the user via the command line in order to set its password. 

The authentication is is set to local, not PAM. 

If you expand the user details you will see the text field for entering the password.

6 hours ago, wgstarks said:

You don't if you use local. Only the admin password needs to be updated after an update.

You mean the 'Authenticate users with' on the Active Configuration should be 'local'? That's what I have and still am experiencing the above. The user account I use to log in with shows up in the UI, but I still need to use the command line to re-add that user and set its password.

25 minutes ago, spalmisano said:

You mean the 'Authenticate users with' on the Active Configuration should be 'local'? That's what I have and still am experiencing the above. The user account I use to log in with shows up in the UI, but I still need to use the command line to re-add that user and set its password.

My suggestion-

1) Delete the docker and image and the folder in appdata so you can start fresh.

2) Install docker.

3) login to admin with default admin/password as described in the github readme under the section "Setting up the application".

4) Change the authentication to "local".

5) Save configuration and also save to running server.

6) Add new user name/password in the WebUI (not CLI).

7) Save configuration and save to running server.

8  Logout.

9) Check that the new user works by logging in with those credentials. If it doesn't work you can login with the default admin and grab the error for the failed login attempt.

10) Assuming the new user works you can SSH/telnet to the server and run docker exec -it openvpn-as passed admin to change the password for the admin account. Remember, if you run an update on the docker you'll need to do this step again.

As far as setting up clients goes, the info in the video should work for you. I know I didn't have any problems there.

As I posted earlier, there is another option outlined in the comments section of the youtube video. You could possibly stick with the settings outlined in the video and add the paths as described in the comments. I haven't tried this, but others reported success there.

On 6/19/2017 at 7:01 PM, wgstarks said:

My suggestion-

1) Delete the docker and image and the folder in appdata so you can start fresh.

2) Install docker.

3) login to admin with default admin/password as described in the github readme under the section "Setting up the application".

4) Change the authentication to "local".

5) Save configuration and also save to running server.

6) Add new user name/password in the WebUI (not CLI).

7) Save configuration and save to running server.

8  Logout.

9) Check that the new user works by logging in with those credentials. If it doesn't work you can login with the default admin and grab the error for the failed login attempt.

10) Assuming the new user works you can SSH/telnet to the server and run docker exec -it openvpn-as passed admin to change the password for the admin account. Remember, if you run an update on the docker you'll need to do this step again.

As far as setting up clients goes, the info in the video should work for you. I know I didn't have any problems there.

As I posted earlier, there is another option outlined in the comments section of the youtube video. You could possibly stick with the settings outlined in the video and add the paths as described in the comments. I haven't tried this, but others reported success there.

This appears to be working. I am able to connect/authenticate with the non-admin user after a container restart. Im guessing that user account got out of sync with the database while I was tweaking it via the command line. Thanks for the help.

That is what it said to do on the linuxserver page, and a few people on this thread said it had to be that way. No worries I'll just use a virtual appliance instead of the Docker.

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-openvpnas

What chbmb means is, if you don't tell us exactly what you did, we can't help you figure out why it's not working.

Post your docker run command and the container log and we can help you troubleshoot.

My guess is you are trying to port forward and the default port is taken up by something else, but it's just a wild guess since I have no idea what settings you used.

Ok for all the folks you might have troubles connecting to the webui just like i did you may need to check your Unraid network settings:

Unraid>Settings>Network Settings and there you change DNS server assignment to static and add google DNS Server (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

I finally got it to work doing this after 2 days of trying everything, Cheers.

I recently installed OpenVPN-AS on my unraid server (Version 6.3.5).  It works great however if I am on the VPN it seems to be blocking several websites.  Specifically those that do any kind of streaming line YouTube.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to correct this?

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, johng1290 said:

I recently installed OpenVPN-AS on my unraid server (Version 6.3.5).  It works great however if I am on the VPN it seems to be blocking several websites.  Specifically those that do any kind of streaming line YouTube.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to correct this?

Thanks in advance

OpenVPN-AS is a server. It allows you to connect to your home network securely from the internet. I don't think it has any blocking capabilities for connections initiated from inside your local network. I know I don't have any trouble connecting to YouTube when I have the vpn client active on my iPhone.

10 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

OpenVPN-AS is a server. It allows you to connect to your home network securely from the internet. I don't think it has any blocking capabilities for connections initiated from inside your local network. I know I don't have any trouble connecting to YouTube when I have the vpn client active on my iPhone.

I would look at your router logs see if it tells why its blocking streaming.

• trurl pinned and unpinned this topic