[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

Still can't get this to work with "Local".

Steps I took-

1) Completely deleted the docker, img and appdata folder.

2) Re-installed.

3) Logged into admin with default admin/password.

4) Set authentication to local. Saved and refreshed server.

5) Changed admin password via CLI.

6) Added new user via CLI.

7) Added same user via admin page with options "Allow Admin" "Allow Auto Login". Saved and refreshed server.

8 Attempted to login using newusername/password via https://<IP>:943. Login Failed.

Logs show this-

local auth failed: no stored password digest found in authcred attributes: auth/authlocal:35,web/http:1609,web/http:750,web/server:126,web/server:133,xml/authrpc:110,xml/authrpc:164,internet/defer:102,xml/authsess:50,sagent/saccess:86,xml/authrpc:244,xml/authsess:50,xml/authsess:103,auth/authdelegate:308,util/delegate:26,auth/authdelegate:237,util/defer:224,util/defer:246,internet/defer:190,internet/defer:181,internet/defer:323,util/defer:246,internet/defer:190,internet/defer:181,internet/defer:323,util/defer:245,internet/defer:102,auth/authdelegate:61,auth/authdelegate:240,util/delegate:26,auth/authlocal:35,util/error:61,util/error:44

Did I miss a step to setup local authentication? Looks like the docker isn't storing credentials locally but I have no idea why.

Edit: Looks like I DID miss something.

SafariScreenSnapz030.jpg.621c2ea59625f2242407be8eb6eb29d2.jpg

Just adding the password via SSH isn't enough. It has to be added in the admin page as well.

Wonder what else I missed?^_^

Edited by wgstarks
Steps I took-
2) Re-installed.
7) Added same user via admin page with options "Allow Admin" "Allow Auto Login". Saved and refreshed server.
8 Attempted to login using newusername/password via https://:943. Login Failed.

Logs show this-
local auth failed: no stored password digest found in authcred attributes: auth/authlocal:35,web/http:1609,web/http:750,web/server:126,web/server:133,xml/authrpc:110,xml/authrpc:164,internet/defer:102,xml/authsess:50,sagent/saccess:86,xml/authrpc:244,xml/authsess:50,xml/authsess:103,auth/authdelegate:308,util/delegate:26,auth/authdelegate:237,util/defer:224,util/defer:246,internet/defer:190,internet/defer:181,internet/defer:323,util/defer:246,internet/defer:190,internet/defer:181,internet/defer:323,util/defer:245,internet/defer:102,auth/authdelegate:61,auth/authdelegate:240,util/delegate:26,auth/authlocal:35,util/error:61,util/error:44

Did I miss a step to setup local authentication? Looks like the docker isn't storing credentials locally but I have no idea why.

Just adding the password via SSH isn't enough. It has to be added in the admin page as well.
Wonder what else I missed?

Why are you adding users through command line? You are creating more PAM users as that cli command in the docker description was posted to modify the admin user, which is a PAM account.

Create new users (and manage them) through the gui and don't mess with command line

13 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Just removed and reinstalled the container.  Can confirm the user that's blurred out isn't called admin....

13 hours ago, Jorgen said:

Excellent! Thanks for testing.

Actually, I can still login with the default Admin/Password even after I've removed the Admin user.

Guess the CLI password change is still needed.

23 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Why are you adding users through command line? You are creating more PAM users as that cli command in the docker description was posted to modify the admin user, which is a PAM account.

Create new users (and manage them) through the gui and don't mess with command line

Thanks. I was following @gridrunner's video guide. He didn't really go into detail about where the users were being created/modified. Makes a lot more sense now why it wasn't working. Thanks.

Sorry if this is too general a question but my google-fu is weak today. I followed Spaceinvader's youtube video along with the recent posts. 

I tried a clean install with the following steps:

1. Changed admin password using putty

2. Switched authentication to Local from PAM

3. Changed the server name to my duckdns url. 

4. Forwarded port 1194 UDP on my router to my server IP

5. Created my VPN user in the Gui, and set my password. 

6. Installed the OpenVPN gui app on my Windows machine. 

I then downloaded my .ovpn and am trying to login but I keep getting this error:

Mon Jun 12 10:35:45 2017 TLS Error: cannot locate HMAC in incoming packet from [AF_INET]MYIP:1194

MYIP is my WAN IP, and that is correct. I am running OpenVPN on my router but I am testing this to set up my friend's Unraid server for him. I attached my docker settings. Bonding is disabled in my unRaid server. 

openvpn docker settings.png

Edited by ice pube
6 minutes ago, ice pube said:

Sorry if this is too general a question but my google-fu is weak today. I followed Spaceinvader's youtube video along with the recent posts. 

I had the same issue.

Using command line doesn't setup your user in the local db. In the GUI there is a "More Settings" tab for each user. You must enter the password there then save changes and update the running server.

If you look at my post up a couple there's a screenshot.

Edited by wgstarks

But in one of the replies above it says to use the GUI. I will try again with using the commandline.

On 6/7/2017 at 7:58 AM, aptalca said:

On 6/6/2017 at 7:45 PM, wgstarks said:

Steps I took-

2) Re-installed.

8 Attempted to login using newusername/password via https://<IP>:943. Login Failed.

Logs show this-

Wonder what else I missed?^_^

Check this screenshot. It shows you where you need to configure the user password. Doing it on the command line won't work with "Local".

No. You only need to create the user in the GUI. The cli is only needed to change the default admin password.

If you're running openvpn server on your router why do you want to also run it on your unRAID server? I've never tried this, but I imagine there could easily be conflicts with having two openvpn-as servers running on the same network.

Edit: I should have read your first post better. Sorry. I would try without the server on the router running and be sure to warn your friend that they must change the default admin password if they do any updates.

Edited by wgstarks

Hi Guys,

Fresh installed the docker... I cannot reach the admin page when using privileged mode, in host mode. This is the default install from the Linux|Server IO docker container.

I have tried deleting the docker container and img and starting again with no luck.

I have tried Chrome, Edge, IE and Safari on different machines on the network.

There are no conflicting ports on the host or other dockers.....what am I missing?

Edited by Enver
22 minutes ago, Enver said:

Hi Guys,

Fresh installed the docker... I cannot reach the admin page when using privileged mode, in host mode. This is the default install from the Linux|Server IO docker container.

I have tried deleting the docker container and img and starting again with no luck.

I have tried Chrome, Edge, IE and Safari on different machines on the network.

There are no conflicting ports on the host or other dockers.....what am I missing?

I believe privileged should be off. It is in mine anyway.

25 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I believe privileged should be off. It is in mine anyway.

thanks @wgstarks I just tried that with no luck. Doing a netstat on the host shows the that TCP:943 is not even open. The docker logs shows no errors so not sure where to go from there.

Edited by Enver
  • trurl pinned and unpinned this topic